General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "hypoxic" training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-12-14 10:48 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: "hypoxic" training?
In another thread about bi-lateral breathing, AdventureBear mentions hypoxic training. ... OK, here's the different thread she suggested. Does training yourself to tolerate a higher CO2 buildup have any value for doing triathlons?

AdventureBear - 2005-12-14 8:26 AM

I'll repeat, not to worry about it. It all depends on when you need to breathe. Breathe when you need air, whether that's every 2nd, 3rd or 4th stroke ...

Besides, the urge to breath is usually prompted by a buildup of carbon dioxide, not by a defecit of oxygen, so i never really believed all the stuff about "hypoxic" training. Rather it teaches your body to tolerate a higher CO2 buildup. Again, that's for a different thread!

-Suzanne

2005-12-14 11:49 AM
in reply to: #305371

Elite
Laurium, MI
Subject: RE: "hypoxic" training?
i always took hypoxic training to mean training at altitude, so you deal with lower oxygen levels. Lower oxygen levels in the air means your body needs more hemoglobin to absorb it efficiently. Build up a ton of hemoglobin and go down to a lower altitude and you have lance armstrong lungs.

Not sure of the effect of CO2 on this is, but I imagine any way of training where you are limiting the amount of oxygen you get would do this
2005-12-14 12:13 PM

Master
portland, or
There's no evidence to suggest that doing "hypoxic sets" provides any performance benefits in swimming, and I doubt that you would find any benefit in holding your breath while cycling or running.

The only advantage of doing hypoxic sets would be to increase your comfort level in the water. This could pay off in a race where you're getting beat up by other swimmers, or you're in choppy water and taking a face full of water.

As for the second post that discusses hypoxic in the sense of being in an environment with less oxygen (higher altitude), there is a benefit in long term exposure through the natural build up of red blood cells to handle the thinner air. A higher red blood cell count can certainly be advantageous to an endurance athlete.

scott
2005-12-14 12:44 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

This came up in a different thread about a month ago.

Here's what I posted in that thread, and what I'll probably post every time this comes up.

If I may inject a word of caution surrounding hypoxic exercises: if you're going to do them make sure someone else is there who knows what you're doing and can check on you every minute or so. My wife and I lost a friend,  a strong competitive swimmer in very good shape,  who drowned in a busy pool with lifeguards on duty while doing hypoxic exercises. 

This was later amended by some knowledgable folks to "make sure someone is watching you who knows exactly what you're doing".

Hypoxic exercises can be extremely dangerous. If things go wrong, they can go very, very wrong.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "hypoxic" training? Rss Feed