General Discussion Triathlon Talk » my knee injury rant Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-12-14 5:41 PM

Cork, Ireland
Subject: my knee injury rant
Hello,
I'm a newcomer to triathlon, I'm 31 years old and did my first triathlon just over 1 year ago. It was a sprint-tri. I enjoyed it so much that I'm hooked. Even though I couldnt complete the swim and had to be picked up by a rescue boat (much to the amusement of my friends)

But my problem is, I cant run anymore due to a knee injury... Its so frustrating. I just wanted to talk to someone who has had knee prolbems. I'm looking for advice / help, anything really.

I had been running about 15 - 20miles per week this year and competed in a half marathon in September and a 15mile race in October. I must have hurt my knee in the 15 miler. After about 10 miles my right knee started to hurt, but I kept running. I must have done some damage. It was a vague pain around the kneecap. The next day, walking was painfull and if I sat for long periods with my knee bent it would get painfull to move again. Also I had a small circular swelling about 1 inch in diameter just to the right of the centre of the knee cap. The swelling looked like someone hit my knee with a hammer! Perfect little circle. My leg feels fine now in daily activities. Walking climbing hills/stairs, no problem, however I tried running yesterday and had to stop after 1 mile.... I could feel my knee was a little strainge (not really painfull) but I know if I kept running it would hurt. The pain happens when I'm bringing my leg forward for the next step.

I have started VMO excersises as I think It might be runners knee. I've also started talking suplements that are designed for healthy joints. As well as that I swim about 4 hours a week to keep fit. I hope it improves.

Has anyone out there had a simillar experience? How long dod ot take to heal?
Please helo if you can. I'm hoping to do my first half Iron-man in 2006....
Thanks,
Derek

2005-12-14 6:25 PM
in reply to: #305708

User image

Extreme Veteran
Arnhem
Subject: RE: my knee injury rant
My symptoms seem the same as yours, but I dind't get it from long runs. I stoppped runnung for years, and when I started again I got painfull knees after a few miles. The first time I kept on running, but the next day couldn't bend my knees. This was a few years ago. I took up cycling as a solution...
I have also recently (August 2005) started training for triathlon. To start I couldn't run more that 10 minutes before that 'strange' feeling started (kind of pressure inside the knee under the knee cap that you feel when you bend the knee to bring the foor forward). Every time I feel this I stop immediatly. That way the pain does not come, and the next day I can still train. Today I ran 55 minutes without any problem on soft terain. On a road I can now go about 40 minutes. I just built the running time up very slowly. I hope to be able to run a 1/2 marathon by mid next year.
I also have started going to the gym twice a week as I have heard from many sources that upper leg strenght can help solve this problem.
And I have bought myself a new pair of running shoes (the old ones where over 2 years old) !
Hope this is usefull to you.
2005-12-14 6:33 PM

User image

I don't know if my knee was as bad as yours, I am near fifty and have had some issues with my kness off and on.

I found that doing leg extensions and the reverse of that have helped the muscles around my knee, I think they are supporter muscles. Anytime my knee feel a little off I make sure to get those leg extensions in.

I try to do them on a regular basis and have been better about them lately. I think you are doing the right thing by not trying to push it. I take MSN and Glucosomine every day and I feel that makes a hughe difference as well. Your joint juice probably has some of that in it.

Another thing for you to think about at your age and I apologize for being a bit graphic, but a lot of peoples colons get a wall of junk,,,,, (call it what you like), built on it and that can interfer with the bodies natural ability to absorb vitamins and nutrients. There are a number of sites on the web that you can get information on Colon Cleansing from. Some doctors say that you are risking your health by doing so..... I am a proponent of it.

Hope this helps some!

2005-12-14 11:10 PM

User image

Master
Seattle, California
I know your pain... I think I've got runners knee (ITBS), which is so fustrating because I'm training for my first 1/2 marathon ... But from what I've read about ITBS it is not an injury you want to push though, you just need to give it time and let your body do the good stuff it does... or at least that is what I hear.
2005-12-15 6:21 AM

User image

Expert
North Carolina
What did your doctor say? If it has went on this long maybe it is time to look under the skin.

When I have tweaked my IT band, stretching and running at slow paces seems to help until it recovers. I have never been in so pain to where I have had to stop for an IT issue........plus I have never had swelling.
2005-12-15 6:38 AM

User image

New user
Upstate NY
Is the pain in the front middle or on the side of your knee(as in the outside of your leg?)
Does it only hurt when you run? Does it stop when you stop?

From your description it sounds a little like ITBS which I've had on and off issues with since my 04 marathon.

It might be a good idea to get it checked by a doctor so you know exactly what you are dealing with.

Mine perscribed physical therapy which included lots of stretching and also strengthening. I also got deep tissue massages which also helped. I've heard some people have luck with a device called "The stick" which you can do a google search on.

As far as getting back on schedule for running...it takes time. First I had complete rest. Then very slowly add running. Like one mile runs every other day. And very slowly and gradually increasing the distance. Always stopping the minute the pain started again.

I could do almost everything else pain free. Biking, rowing, swimming, downhill skiing, snowshoeing etc. So I did as much cross training as I could.

Eventually the running came back. I stretch much more than I used to. I did have another flare up after my first oly tri this past fall. I just brought the running mileage down and stretched, stretched and stretched to get it under control.

Best wishes!

2005-12-15 7:31 AM

Cork, Ireland
Thanks everyone for the information. Its good to hear from other people.
Yes my knee is fine for all other activities (even motocross!), Its just running... The pain is difficult to describe. It seems to be from the knee cap. maybe behind it.

I havent been to a doctor yet..... Just a physiotherapist. The physio gave me VMO exercises to do. I think these are helping. I think I'll visit my doctor now too.

I just started taking glucosamine and chondroitin capsules from seven-seas.
I'm also going to buy new running shoes as I have my ones over 1 year now and must have 6 or 700 miles up....

Has anyone used a knee support. I saw one in my local running shop. It looked like a sleve with a hole for the knee cap. I think it helps tracking of the knee cap. I might try one, but I'm afraid to do more damage....

Anyway, thanks for the help.
Derek
PS Mr. cruisevegas, you mentioned "Colon Clensing" in order to help absorb vitamins etc.... Hmmmm I'll look into that....

2005-12-15 8:16 AM

Pro
Andover

I've been using a knee strap on my right knee for hard runs and both knees for my LSRs (15+ miles.) My last LSR before my Mary is tomorrow and I'll wear both straps again. I need the strap for my right knee (runner's knee) but wear one on the left as a precautionary measure. They have helped tremendously!

2005-12-15 8:20 AM

User image

Veteran
South Jersey
I know what you are going through the pain you are describing is exactly the pain i had in my left knee, it started to hurt alot after my 1/2 marathon back in September and the pain was so bad that i didn't run for 2 weeks, then i was very hesistate to run again but i did and then by the 5th mile the pain started again and thats when i decided to go to my doctors and they wanted me to see a Orthopedic doc and he sent me to NovaCare Rehabilitation for physical therapy 4xs a week, and the type of therapy they do is using core exercises to strenghten my muscles and i have to say it worked, and i also wear a brace which helps with the tracking of my knee cap. so i got the okay from my doc to run again, and now i'm running about 5-8 miles 3xs week and no pain but eventually i will up my miles and that will be the true test.
good luck, i hope everything works out for you.
2005-12-23 7:36 AM

User image

Jax, FL
I alsowas diagnosed with runners knee (Petallo-Femoral Syndrome) its a common problem for people active in sports..My doctor told me it makes up about 50% of overuse injuries. He rxd physical therapy w. core stability excercise.. anyone know why the core excercise will help your knee?
2005-12-23 12:18 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
O.k. here's my $.02. Go see your doctor. Your taking Glucosamine and don't even know if it's joint related. You talk about a knee support but don't know what your problem is.

GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR. It could be numerous things from tears in meniscous, IT Band, Calcification behind the knee cap, Tracking, Problems in your ankles causing your knee to track wrong. You won't know until you stop running, see a doctor who then will probably tell you don't run until you demand to get a referral to an orthopedic doctor, who will then probably either suggest surgery or send you to a physical therapist.

All this takes time... I apologize for the rant, but it drives me crazy that people don't go see doctors until the injury is severe and they have done more damage trying to fix it themselves. Then complain that it takes 6 months to see a doctor and the doctor tells them it will be 6 months to fix.

Good luck and heal up.

2005-12-23 7:16 PM

User image

Queen BTich
GO TO THE DR!!!  Find a good ortho in your area, even better if they like to treat without surgery. You probably need some PT too.
2005-12-23 7:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
10 days out of surgery. 4 more weeks on crutches and no weight bearing till then. All that from an injury I ran on for another week doing a few 3 to 6 mile runs.

The upside is I'll be good as new. From actual surgery back to the bike trainier 15 days!!

The local orthopod was not a good idea. First comment after looking at the MRI was, "you are done running." Local sports ortho guy ( does the Seahawks among others) set it up and had it all done in 10 days Go see a good sports Doc.

All this from knees that have been totally problem free for 50+ years.

2005-12-27 12:55 AM
in reply to: #311277

User image

Expert
Portland,OR

Derek,

I completely agree with Nob and the others...go see an ortho doc.  But not just any ortho doc, one that has some experience/specializes in sports medicine.  I had that same problem years ago and ignored it (just typical R.I.C.E. as treatment) and kept running and playing baseball.  Turns out that I had partially torn my MCL and ACL. Had to go under the knife and said goodbye to a possible pro career.  Just recently completely tore my ACL at work so all running is out for a while, but I can feel your pain...figuratively and literally!  I am very bummed because I have/had a 1/2 marathon scheduled for Feb that doesn't look like it will happen.  If you want to preserve your season and possibly your entire future health, just find a good doc and go get his/her opinion.  Its likely nothing serious but better to know for sure if you want to remain active.  More than likely they will recommend stretching and strengthening of the hamstrings/quads with some improvement on accesory muscles (sartorius, T.F.L., iliopsoas, glutes, etc.)  The stonger those muscles are the less stress and trauma your knee will have to endure during the run.

P.S. I'll be in Ireland in March-April (Dublin, Longford, Galway, Cork).  Any suggestions on can't miss sites?  PM if you have some thoughts.

2006-01-11 5:04 PM

Cork, Ireland
Hi All,
Thanks for all the advise and information.
I went to my doctor last week and he diagnosed chondromacia patella (runers knee) as expected.
He gave me some anti-inflammatories..... Not sure if they will help.
Today I found a good physio that helps a lot of runners.... She was brilliant. She was able to replicate the pain which is something I could only do while running.
She worked on my knee and quad and After this I was able to run 1.5 miles with no pain!!!!
Next step is to do all the excersises and very slowly build my milage again....
I'm delighted!!!
Derek
2006-01-11 5:17 PM

I hate to oversimplify, and I really don't know sh**, but it is logical that strengthening all of the muscles associated with holding the knee cap in place is the most direct way to solve runner's knee problems. I have osteoarthritus in my knee, so weak muscles amplify the problem. My PT put me on an extensive weight training (using circuit machines) program to strengthen all of the applicable muscles. It seems to be working. I agree with seeing the doctor, but you know us homo sapiens. The wife says "quit complaining about your golf game, go get lessons". Yah...right.

2006-01-11 7:12 PM

User image

Jax, FL
I went to PT and learned some great new ways to stretch my IT which I wasnt doing before and I am almost like new again
2006-01-11 7:28 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
After seeing a doctor and he rules out any tears try to incorporate some barefoot running into your training. I run on the grass and it has helped my knees. I'm 38 and have arthritis. When I run on the street I feel it for days. After running on the grass, I feel great. Just a thought.
2006-01-11 11:43 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RUnners Knee Rant
I hadn't seen this thread before. 

RUnner's Knee is a very general term that can refer to injury in a number of different knee structures...muscles, tendons, ligaments, joint surfaces including behind the kneecap. 

The solution for each of these is different.  ACLs usually require surgery to be active.  MCL tears will heal with rest alone, scar in and you can go agaain. ITBS requires very specific stretches.  Patello-femoral syndrome  responds well to specific strengthening exercises.  Those are only the common problems that arise from the knee directly.  Knee pain can also come from hip, back, ankle or shoe problems. 

If you have knee pain, you need to learn what is causing it in order to make it better. 

BTW, increasing fiber in your diet (beans, fruit, veggies) will keep your colon in fine health, colonics are not really needed.  And neither will help your knees much.  Just one opinion from someone who's seen a lot of bad knees and constipation.  (Common ER visits!!!)
2006-01-12 2:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Provo, UT (my heart is in Seattle)
I guess I'm going to be the idiot that posts after that last all-inclusive post. Make sure to run of soft surfaces too. Do trail runs rather than road runs. Don't be afraid to go the the local park and run tons of laps there too. You may look a little odd doing it, but don't we all look odd by combining three kind of nerdy, albeit awesome, sports?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » my knee injury rant Rss Feed