General Discussion Triathlon Talk » taken out of the game by surgery.....going nuts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-27 10:45 AM

New York
Subject: taken out of the game by surgery.....going nuts
So with my first sprint tri looming a mere 6 weeks away, I get knocked out of training with some unexpected shoulder surgery. Doc says no training until at least Monday.I inspected the site and it looks fine. the stictches are solid and the wound healing very nicely. I am itching to train because i feel like I am losing all the work I have done for the past 5 weeks. But I think I should wait. You see these jocks come back from injurt too soon and they are never quite right..

what do you think?
wait or train?

also, am I gonna suffer greatly from time lost? do i need to do morethan my plan when i get back?

Help, I am very frustrated.

Damn Shoulder!

2004-04-27 11:27 AM
in reply to: #21557

User image

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
Subject: RE: taken out of the game by surgery.....going nuts
Ummm..... you know the answer to this. Wait. Yes, doctors are very cautious and don't know you as well as you know you. But they do know shouders. You're paying for the doctor's expertise; you may as well use what you're paying for. You could probably go for a a walk -possibly even a gentle run. But biking or swiiming? I wouldn't.

Andrea
2004-04-27 11:30 AM

User image

Expert
Torrington,CT
You won't loose all you've worked for by taking a week off. Listen to the doctor or you might end up injured more severely and have to take more time off. I think you will notice upon your return that your "rest" will help you perform better. Remember to take it slow and do your increments until its time to taper for your race.

Good luck
Evelyn
2004-04-27 1:48 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
WAIT! Don't have a "wasted" surgery because you go at it too soon! I know it is frustrating - I had knee surgery last year and was out for 6 months!

As far as losing fitness - according to a study I read recently, it takes about 2-3 weeks of complete inactivity to lose a "significant" amt of fitness.

Good luck and I hope you heal quickly!
2004-04-27 2:10 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
I suggest you give your thumb a hearty workout on the tv remote.

If you're itching to train, you may be allergic to inactivity. Perhaps some Benadryl would help you get over it. You won't be able to even think about training after you take it cause you'll be too busy sleeping.
2004-04-27 8:46 PM

New York
ahhhh - ambien. now i got it!

thanks everyone. i am going to hold off a while longer...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » taken out of the game by surgery.....going nuts Rss Feed