General Discussion Triathlon Talk » spin classes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-12-20 12:18 PM

User image

Veteran
peoria, az
Subject: spin classes

Since it has gotten pretty chilly I have started going to spin classes 3 times a week at my gym. They are great and I feel like I get a wonderful cardio workout but are they a good sub. for outdoor training rides? Most of the instructors are areobic instructors and we are out of the saddle a lot (jumps, runs ect.). I have an indoor trainer but it's so easy to "cheat" and take it easy when I should be pushing another gear.

I haven't found an outdoor group around here yet. Well, that's not true, I know of one but I'm afraid to show up. I'm worried I will get laughed at or they will leave me in the dust. Any advice??

2005-12-20 1:13 PM
in reply to: #308947

User image

Extreme Veteran
Home port
Subject: RE: spin classes
twolives1 - 2005-12-20 12:18 PM

Since it has gotten pretty chilly I have started going to spin classes 3 times a week at my gym. They are great and I feel like I get a wonderful cardio workout but are they a good sub. for outdoor training rides? Most of the instructors are areobic instructors and we are out of the saddle a lot (jumps, runs ect.). I have an indoor trainer but it's so easy to "cheat" and take it easy when I should be pushing another gear.

I haven't found an outdoor group around here yet. Well, that's not true, I know of one but I'm afraid to show up. I'm worried I will get laughed at or they will leave me in the dust. Any advice??

I did spin classes(taught by a roadie) last year.  The classed were 60 minutes of pure hell, 2x per week.  I increased my avg speed from 19 to 21.7 mph.  Now the spin classes may not be a replacement for the road, but I believe they are very, very important. and the best alternative when it is too cold to go outside.

2005-12-20 2:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia
Let's see.  We can go outside, with extra gear on arms and legs.  Some kind of wrap around the head.  We have to take off work to be outside during the day light hours.  Even with the extra gear, it is freezing cold and your hands go numb.  OR, you could wear shorts and a T-shirt, listen to loud music and have someone push you a little while sipping on cool water in a heated room with blacklights? 

I'll take the spin class until the days start getting longer again.  On the weekend, I will break out my trainer because watching football and cycling is kind of cool and it takes my mind off the workout. 
2005-12-20 4:19 PM
in reply to: #309105

Expert
New Orleans, LA
vadiver - 2005-12-20 2:07 PM because watching football and cycling is kind of cool and it takes my mind off the workout. 
When I'm in the gym running, I like to have a football game on too, while listening to my headphones. Spinning will not replace outdoor cycling, but it certainly doesn't hurt it.
2005-12-20 4:35 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,
The other thing spin is good for, especially for us flatlanders, is building power for hills.

(This would be an excellent strategy for me if I were getting my self out of bed for the 6am classes. It will happen. At some point. Soon. Really.)
2005-12-21 11:56 AM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT

I've been taking spin classes for about a year and a half now, usually twice a week during the winter months and at least one a week during the summer.  I've found it a good way to maintain endurance over the winter.  I'll hop on my trainer over the weekends, but I dont' think I could ride that thing 3-4 days a week.  It does help when the spin instructor is also a training partner .

Chris

2005-12-21 12:18 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

My winter regimen will be MOSTLY spinning.  I train by HR in spin classes, and if my goals for the class are different than the kind of spin the instructor wants to do, I just move to the far back of the class and do my own thing.  Spins also let you address your limiters - mine is power, and I can do one-leg drills on the spin bikes more easily than on the trainer.

Plus...it helps if you can find a spin bike that can be adjusted to come damned close to your real life bike riding position.  The lemond revmasters at our gym are golden in this respect...aerobars and all. 

2005-12-21 1:18 PM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
If you are experienced riding outside, spin classes are a great, great alternative. If you are not an experienced rider, don't expect yourself to become one on a spin bike.

And, the "out of saddle" and "jumps" stuff will help you immensely, esp. in a sprint triathlon. You can fly up the hills out of the saddle and not kill yourself. Pre-spin, I could not do that real well. Jumps if longer than 10 sec are ok. If they are real short, just do every other one. The transition work is good.
2005-12-21 2:23 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
The benefits of spin classes are very dependent upon the instruction. I can not stand classes where you do tons of jumps and light resistance sprints, because it's not anything like really riding. But most aerobics instructors find that people have the most trouble with jumps.

On the other hand if your instructor is a Roadie or races, you'll find they will do more long standing or seated climbs, a few sprints, intervals, work within HR zones and power training. These are all great things to improve your skills. You might want to check out classes with other instructors at your gym.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » spin classes Rss Feed