General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for a tri or running coach in Dallas, TX Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-12-27 10:32 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: Looking for a tri or running coach in Dallas, TX
Hey everyone!

I started tri's in 2005... I completed 2 sprints. Unfortunately, at both sprints, I could not run the entire 5K. I would get a side cramp early on, and struggle from there.

Now, I will admit that I didn't run that many miles weekly (maybe only a 5K) when training, but I could run an entire 5K. Unfortunately, I didn't do any brick sessions, because it never seemed to fit into the situation.

So, I decided to try to do a 1/2 marathon in the off season... thinking that I would get my running legs under me and gain some confidence in being able to run extended distances.

About 2 weeks into training, I got this leg/muscle/tendon? pain in my lower legs. It was above my achilies (? spelling) tendon and ran up to my lower calf, but no pain was in the calf. It was also on the inside of the leg, not the outside.

I bought new shoes and the pain left... for about a week. Then it was back. Every step hurt... so much so that after 2-3 miles, I could barely walk because of it. I finally had to give up my training for the 1/2 marathon.

So, what I am looking for now, is a coach to assist me with training for the 2006 season. I need someone who can look at my running form, and figure out why I am having so many issues. I also need help with just making it through a run in competition without a side cramp.

If you know of a coach in the Dallas, TX area... please let me know!

THANKS!!!!

2005-12-27 10:41 PM
in reply to: #312252

Veteran
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: RE: Looking for a tri or running coach in Dallas, TX
Hey!! I'm in the area and there are quite a few tri groups you could look into. They might point you in the right direction. Fit2Train is one (www.fit2train.com), Dallas Athletes (www.dallasathletes.com), Playtri (www.playtri.com), Dallas Aquatic Masters has a tri/multisport group (www.damswim.com), etc. All of these people who head these up are very well qualified. Also, I would suggest maybe going to Luke's Locker in Dallas (on Oak Lawn, just a block past Lemmon) and ask someone there to look at your running gait and make sure you're in the right shoe for your issues. Shoes won't help your running side-stitch, but they may be able to understand what's going on with your lower leg. They also have a podiatrist (foot doctor) that comes in on Saturday mornings, and Wednesday evenings I believe. You can call the store and ask when Dr. Sherman will be in. They'll be able to tell you exactly when he's there.

Maybe you could join a running group. Run On in Dallas (and another one of their stores in the north part of the metroplex) has a beginning running group. Called running 101 or something like that. That could definitely be a help to you and their coaches there could analyze your running and see if there's something biomechanically that's possibly causing the lower leg problems.

Luke's Locker also has a spring training group that trains for speed at the 5K and 10K distance and also a half marathon group too. They meet at White Rock lake on Saturday mornings at 8am.

If the pain persists in your lower leg, it could be worthwhile to see a doctor. It may just be some tendonitis in your leg and with that you could take Tylenol 8-hour or Aleve. I've had more than my fair share of running injuries and ailments, so I totally understand what you're going through in that respect.

I'd start asking around in person at some of the stores or drop an email to one of these groups and ask what services they offer and if it's not what you're looking for, if they know of someone that you can talk to. Never hurts to ask.

Hope this helps!!!
2005-12-27 10:51 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
WOW! Thanks for all the details!

I am trying to decide how I want to plan out my season.

I looked at the Dallas Athletes and thought about doing the "101" tri course starting in January. Or, I might just join their club.

I also looked at Run On and Luke's for running courses... but because I want to start training for the MS150 in February, I don't want running to take away from that time. Plus, the scheduled class times really don't fit my schedule. Plus, I kind of wonder if someone would have the time to focus on my gait and form, with X other students needing attention.

Also, I would suggest maybe going to Luke's Locker in Dallas (on Oak Lawn, just a block past Lemmon) and ask someone there to look at your running gait and make sure you're in the right shoe for your issues.

That is where I got my new shoes from, and I had someone pick out the right shoe for my gait. Unfortunately, it only fixed the pain for about a week.

I will check with the clubs and see if I can find a coach of some sort though.

I haven't been to a Doctor yet, simply because at my old job the health insurance required a $500 deductable... and I just started my new job. I can see a Dr. next year though. I suspect I will have to, but I was hoping that a coach of some sort could help me.

It may just be some tendonitis in your leg and with that you could take Tylenol 8-hour or Aleve.

I take around 4-8 Aleve a day... due to some tooth pain (I had my fillings replaced over a year ago, and now I have constant pain, but it can be fixed with Aleve).

Thanks for your reply! I appreciate it!

Edited by KSH 2005-12-27 10:53 PM
2005-12-27 10:54 PM
in reply to: #312263

Veteran
Grapevine, Texas
I wish you lots of luck. I hope that you figure out the problem in your lower leg soon. I know how frustrating that can be.

Good luck!!
2005-12-28 8:46 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-12-28 9:15 AM

Champion
Dallas, TX
Thanks... emails have been sent asking the 2 at Playtri if they can assist with my running form. I might just sign up for 1 or 2 private sessions... and then sign up for a triathlon training program with the Dallas Athletes.

2005-12-28 1:39 PM

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
There's an MS-150 in February? Or did I read that wrong....
2005-12-28 1:42 PM
in reply to: #312557

Champion
Dallas, TX
csgomez - 2005-12-28 1:39 PM

There's an MS-150 in February? Or did I read that wrong....

It's not in February... I just start training then. The MS150 will be in May.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for a tri or running coach in Dallas, TX Rss Feed