General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Talk to me about race belts for IM?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-03 1:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: Talk to me about race belts for IM??
O-kay, this may be a stupid question for some of you, but I am doing my first IM in 3 weeks (IMAZ) and just kind of freaking out about some of the details.

SO...talk to me about race belts. I have done lots of tris (sprints to HIM) and have always just used a standard race belt to wear my bib number on the run. I've never had to wear it on the bike.

In an IM, I know we have to wear our bib number on the bike as well. Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal to me. But, for the run portion of my IM, I am planning on using one of those race belts that have slots for gels and pockets for other stuff (spiBelt basically). So, I don't want to wear all of that on the bike.

Do they give you 2 bib numbers? Could I potentially wear just a regular race belt with my bib on the bike, then switch it out for the run? Do people do that?

Also, what race belts do YOU use for the run portion of an IM?

Thanks! Aimee

2011-11-03 1:56 PM
in reply to: #3805620

User image

Subject: RE: Talk to me about race belts for IM??
I dont' know about IMAZ, but at IMSG, they gave us two number bibs.  I've never used a nutrition type belt in a race of any distance.  I may change that up this year at IMAZ.
2011-11-03 2:36 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

ouradventure - 2011-11-03 1:48 PM

Do they give you 2 bib numbers? Could I potentially wear just a regular race belt with my bib on the bike, then switch it out for the run? Do people do that?

Yes

Yes

Yes

2011-11-03 3:21 PM
in reply to: #3807369

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-11-15 4:03 PM

Regular
IMFL gave two race numbers.  Put one on race belt and used it on bike and run.  I used a fuel belt in training for my long runs, but found that I just didn't use it for Augusta70.3.  Wound up just using course products because they were plentiful.  At IMFL I just carried one of the flasks with me that way I wasn't lugging around the extra weight.  At that point in the race I was tired of my sports drink anyway and enjoyed the variety of water/coke/perform.  One little flask would get me through to the next aid table.
2011-11-15 4:17 PM

Extreme Veteran
The Center of My Universe

Since I didn't wear the bike jersey on the swim for IMFL, I pinned the first bib to the back of my jersey. Put it on in T1.

In T2, I picked up the regular old race belt with the 2nd bib on it and headed out. 

Nice thing was, several people cheered me on by my name when I went by on the run because my name was (still) back there. I exchanged places with a girl several times during the run and she was always really nice saying "go Paul" every time I'd pass by.  That was motivation for me and a very positive thing during a somewhat difficult run.  She'll likely never know how much it helped.

Edited by TriFlorida 2011-11-15 4:19 PM

2011-11-15 5:44 PM

carlsbad

Another vote for yes, yes, yes.  I do excatly what fred said he does with the belt.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Talk to me about race belts for IM?? Rss Feed