Disney
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 22m 58s
Overall Rank = 2598/10131
Age Group = M 50-54
Age Group Rank = 145/509
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:20 a.m. Balance Bar and GatorAde for breakfast. Two trips to the woods before the start. One hour of shivering in the corral.
Event warmup:

20 minute walk to start. A lot of wandering within the corral but no good place for a warm-up jog within the start area. Used the first mile as a warm-up.
Run
  • 4h 22m 58s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out a little faster than ideal for me, and paid for it in the second half. Used the Galloway walk breaks, and was able to get through without extra walk breaks, but slowed to time-lapse-photo pace in the run segments toward the end.
What would you do differently?:

Next time: 1) Concentrate on getting weight to ideal level. 2) Get the long runs in as true long runs (last long run pre-race was split in two segments because of spousal demands to pay attention to my family during the holidays). Solution: recruiting one of my children to do the next marathon with me (turning the long run from 'me time' to 'family time').
Post race
Warm down:

Mile walk.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall conditioning could have been better.

Last updated: 2005-12-24 12:00 AM
Running
04:22:58 | 26.2 miles | 10m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 145/509
Overall: 2598/10131
Performance: Average
10 mile: 1:35:56 1/2: 2:05:45 20 mile: 3:16:57
Course: Temperature perfect (once we started moving). Plenty of water stops -- almost too many. The sharpie signs in the 15-20 mile section were nice diversions from the left brain negative thoughts.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-01-10 7:21 PM

New user

Subject: Walt Disney World Marathon

2006-01-11 3:02 PM
in reply to: #320975

Online or Offline
Subject: RE: Walt Disney World Marathon

2) Get the long runs in as true long runs (last long run pre-race was split in two segments because of spousal demands to pay attention to my family during the holidays). Solution: recruiting one of my children to do the next marathon with me (turning the long run from 'me time' to 'family time').

WHAT?? Wasn't bringing them along to Disney enough of a reward for putting up with your training schedule?? LOL You DID bring them to Disney, didn't you???? Innocent  It's the happiest place in the world!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Walt Disney World Marathon Rss Feed