General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carpal Tunnel and Cycling Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-14 11:17 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Subject: Carpal Tunnel and Cycling
As I increase my cycling time lately I have been having alot of numbness in my hands-mainly thumb and pointer (first) finger. I thought it was just lack of circulation in my hand on the bike but now it is happening when I type or use the mouse. These are the same symptoms that people with carpal tunnel have. I did some research and found out it is a fairly common problem for cyclists.

Has anyone else had simular issues?

I am going to make sure I change my position on my bike more and be more aware of when I am puttin pressure on my wrists. Also I am going to put aerobars back on my road bike (I don't get the numbness on my triathlon bike). I was also looking into different gloves designed to take pressure off the wrists. Rest is the other thing that was recommended to me, but I really don't want to take too much time off the bike with California 70.3 coming up in the next couple of months.

Any other suggustions?

2006-01-14 11:26 AM
in reply to: #324147

User image

Master
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Carpal Tunnel and Cycling
Yeah- this is a chronic thing for me-they have splints you can wear to keep yout wrist in alignment- drugstore stuff,velcro- and you can do shorterm antiinflammatories to get it to settle down..but you are doing the most good by recognizing what is contributing to it- (like hand position on the bike) and modifying/changing those habits so you get to the source...it helps too if you figure out if you are "adding" to the strain by your sleep habits- lots of people curl their wrists and or put weight on the area while sleeping...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carpal Tunnel and Cycling Rss Feed