General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to prevent upper LBM loss during LSD? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-16 10:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: How to prevent upper LBM loss during LSD?
I want to gain LBM and noticed BF and LBM loss after LSD. Following couch to sprint program with 2 strength sessions/ week. Any ideas?

2006-01-16 10:26 AM
in reply to: #324819

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: How to prevent upper LBM loss during LSD?
For the dumb kids in the class, what is LBM and BF??
2006-01-16 10:29 AM
in reply to: #324840

User image

Extreme Veteran

sorry: Lean Body Mass and Body Fat

2006-01-16 10:32 AM
in reply to: #324842

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Are you getting enough fluids and nutrition in during and after your runs? If you do not properly hydrate then you will lose a lot of water weight which might translate to lower values for each.

Background? Pace? Training intensity? There are a lot of unknowns in your very general question.
2006-01-16 10:39 AM
in reply to: #324847

User image

Extreme Veteran

Daremo - 2006-01-16 4:32 PM Are you getting enough fluids and nutrition in during and after your runs? If you do not properly hydrate then you will lose a lot of water weight which might translate to lower values for each. .

no it is upper body muscle mass loss (bad) tohether with BF loss (good) - i know that for sure from BF% measurement & tape measurement next morning

Background? Pace? Training intensity? There are a lot of unknowns in your very general question.

Couch potato - molasse - low. Average RH aprox run 160, bike 130. Anything else?

2006-01-16 11:29 AM

User image

Expert
North Carolina

The heavier you are the more you will be able to lift/build mass. If you ever talk to a body builder they will increase their weight significantly to build extra muscle and then diet it back down. Basically, you will lose some strength when you lose body mass even if you are getting enough protein.

2006-01-16 11:38 AM
in reply to: #324900

User image

Extreme Veteran

So basically there is no way to prevent this, fat loss and muscle gain are two different phases, can't be done simultanously. if i understood corectly. OK. so i only need to take care of being hydrated and get enough protein but i will loose some muscle anyhow in this phase of fat loss.

but wait: when i'm done, and go to mucle gain phase, how can i gain muscle while training for 3? do i have to skip LSD during that period?

2006-01-16 11:48 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I don't think that bf% and tape measurements the morning after are a valid way to make the conclusions you have.   What do your measurements look likr over a period of time?  Are you doing any strengthening work?
2006-01-16 11:55 AM
in reply to: #324909

Elite
Laurium, MI
LSD will build you aerobicly in all 3 dsciplines. I would be much more concerned with how you are building up your aerobic stamina then your muscle mass. Stand a body builder and a triathelete next to each other. The body builder will be MUCH bigger then the triathelete, yet will not be faster nor have the endurance of the triathelete. It's two different body types. slow twitch vs fast twitch

Just because you're skinny doesn't mean you are not strong.
2006-01-16 11:59 AM

User image

Expert
North Carolina

Depending on your starting point, then yes you can lose fat and gain muscles but from your posts it seems like you might already have a fairly good weight training base. Obviously you will lose some strength by spending less time in the gym but if you are already pretty slim then you should not lose much muscle if you are getting the right nutrition.

I do not know how much strength you are losing and I do not know your protein intake. If your goal is to see how much you can lift on the bench press, then the more time you spend on the weights and the heavier you are makes this easier.

On the bike, the lighter you are and the more time you spend on the bike makes you faster.

2006-01-17 5:51 AM
in reply to: #324920

User image

Extreme Veteran

AdventureBear - 2006-01-16 5:48 PM I don't think that bf% and tape measurements the morning after are a valid way to make the conclusions you have.   What do your measurements look likr over a period of time?  Are you doing any strengthening work?

I'm totaly sure my conclusions are valid: i'm measuring myself over long period of time and my upper body circumference got down. also average LBM calculated  on bf% went down as well. and couldn't lift as a week before. i'm doing strenght work 2x week, i follow winter maintenance program from here.

vortmax - 2006-01-16 5:55 PM LSD will build you aerobicly in all 3 dsciplines. I would be much more concerned with how you are building up your aerobic stamina then your muscle mass. Stand a body builder and a triathelete next to each other. The body builder will be MUCH bigger then the triathelete, yet will not be faster nor have the endurance of the triathelete. It's two different body types. slow twitch vs fast twitch Just because you're skinny doesn't mean you are not strong.

Than stand myself next to triathlete and you got the picture. It is the same difference like between triathlete and bodybuilder. To look strong and lean like triathlete - it is exactly my secret wish! You made good point about slow twitch vs fast twitch. I'm not skinny but i'm really not strong. My priority is now to develop normal, average back and other muscles as I see week core as my limiting factor. Aerobic stamina will come with time.

BeCivil - 2006-01-16 5:59 PM

Depending on your starting point, then yes you can lose fat and gain muscles but from your posts it seems like you might already have a fairly good weight training base. ... I do not know how much strength you are losing and I do not know your protein intake.

I'm glad it is possible. I have no base in anything. This is my week 6 after being couch potato whole life. Everything I ever did is in my blog. I don't bench press. Functional strenght is my goal. My long term goal is to lower my BF% by 10%, to reach 17%. (If I, theoretically, do it only by lowering my BF i would be walking sceleton so it is not an option.

Thank you everybody for your input. I really apretiate it and I am so happy and honoured to be here. Sorry for lenghty post but I wanted to answer to all your questions. To sum it all up: I will be more consistent with my strenght training and will improve my hydration, nutrition and take protein shake after my LSD and see what happens.

2006-01-17 6:06 AM

User image

Expert
North Carolina
If you are starting from couch potato, then the decrease in strength should level off when you get to you target weight lose or before and then as you keep lifting and getting the right nutrition you should start to build strength to slimmer skeleton. Right now, I am guessing you are losing strength just b/c you are losing body mass. Just like base training it takes a while to see improvements in the weight room, especially if you are trying to lose weight at the same time. I would recommend the protein shake right after you weight train mixed with water. Stay away from creatine.
2006-01-17 7:51 AM
in reply to: #325380

Elite
Laurium, MI
sanjana - 2006-01-17 4:51 AM

Than stand myself next to triathlete and you got the picture. It is the same difference like between triathlete and bodybuilder. To look strong and lean like triathlete - it is exactly my secret wish! You made good point about slow twitch vs fast twitch. I'm not skinny but i'm really not strong. My priority is now to develop normal, average back and other muscles as I see week core as my limiting factor. Aerobic stamina will come with time.

yea it's frustrating, I know. It comes with time though. From what I understand about slow twitch Vs fast twitch, a small amount of slow twitch fibers go a long way. Body builders get huge because the fast twitch fibers aren't as strong and so the body needs to build a ton of them. So you aren't going to get huge fast. It takes some time. I've been training for around 5 months now and I'm just starting to see development in my abs and legs. I can feel a HUGE diference in performance, but visually, it's not as impressive. Also remember the power to weight ratio. Light + strong = fast. Just keep at it and let your body adjust to the new lifestyle.

My core was my limiting factor for a while too. The combination of swimming and running (LSD and speedwork) really helped to strengthen it up. I would also hit the gym from time to time for some weight work. Just did low weight and high reps. I won't say it's super strong now, but it's a heck of a lot better then it was and no longer my limiting factor.

Looking at your logs, you're doing a great job. It also looks like you're a couple months in. I personally would just keep going and target your workouts around where you need STRENGTH to complete the sports (Like you said you had a weak core, which undoubtedly is hurting your running and swimming). Concentrate on that, make sure your nutrition is right and your body will come around. It's just not going to happen overnight. I promise.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to prevent upper LBM loss during LSD? Rss Feed