General Discussion Race Reports! » Motive Bison Stampede Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Motive Bison Stampede Half Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
Motive
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 10m 57s
Overall Rank = 828/1971
Age Group = Men 35-39
Age Group Rank = 150/188
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race REALLY early to pick-up chip and try to find friends. I was there too early and it was freezing cold.
Event warmup:

Did a couple loops around the parking more to get warm than to warm-up for the race. Then went back to my truck, turned on the heater and sat listening to the radio until 5 minutes before the race.
Run
  • 2h 10m 57s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m  min/mile
Comments:

I started the first 3 miles running with Charles at a nice 9:30 pace. He left me at the first hill. That was fine because I really struggled up the hill. The rest of the run was awesome. After I got through the Hills, I felt great and started to open-up my stride while keeping as fast a cadence as I could. This was probably the best I have felt running to date. Big surprise was my girls at the finish line. I didn't expect them to make it today!
What would you do differently?:

More hill training?
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around, eat and drink, then a nice stretch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

weight and hills.

Event comments:

That the Motive Bison Stampede Half Marathon course is a monster is a given. But when the overall winners of the race—Nicodemus Malakwen of Kenya and Jackie Rzepecki of Michigan—declare it the hardest race they’ve ever run, you know Motive is one tough mother.

But that’s the challenge of Motive: getting up and over the endless series of ups and downs that punctuate the course from mile 4 ½ practically all the way to the finish at Motive HQ in northwest Austin.

Making the race on Sunday morning more palatable for the nearly 2000 runners was the first hint of winter. Last year, it was overcast but extremely humid and warm. On Sunday, it was clear, dry and refreshingly cool (42 degrees at the start). The wind was problematical--blowing from the north at 10-15 mph which stood the runners up at various points on the 13.1-mile course.

This is a hard course but it's alot of fun with the Motive employee water stop competition and the challeging hills lined with spectators.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-01-16 12:00 AM
Running
02:10:57 | 13.1 miles | 09m  min/mile
Age Group: 150/188
Overall: 828/1971
Performance: Good
Course: The race course is a loop that starts/finishes at Motive's headquarters and winds through the neighborhoods of Great Hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-01-16 3:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Subject: Motive Bison Stampede Half Marathon

2006-01-18 6:18 PM
in reply to: #325104

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: RE: Motive Bison Stampede Half Marathon
Looks like it was a nice day for a race. Sounds like the hills are a beast. Great time and congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Motive Bison Stampede Half Marathon Rss Feed