Houston Marathon
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 07m 40s
Overall Rank = 2618/7355
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 90/475
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 5:00. Stopped at a carry out for some coffee and the clerk (who barely spoke English) had some questions about my attire. I pointed to a brochure on the counter and told him that I was running that race. He asked, "What do you get for running so far?" I said, "Good question."

Event warmup:

Went downtown with my sister and 11-year-old son. Stood around and talked to people and worried about the fact that I had a terrible head cold. No warm up. Just standing around talking to people.
Run
  • 2h 07m 40s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

I am thrilled that I did so well when I had such a head cold.
I was concerned because I felt that I was not hydrated enough at the beginning of the race. I walked through every drink stop and had two glasses of gatorade at each stop. Otherwise, I ran the whole way. No gus or anything like that. Just had a glucose tablet around mile 8.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe run faster. I felt really good at the end of this race.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to a FUN gathering at Celeste's (City Sky) and met a bunch of other BTer's. Shower, food, drinks, new friends. It was great. Eventually, I went back to my sister's house and took a 1-1/2 hour nap. Then we went out for BBQ (can't get good BBQ in Ohio) and watched the premiere of "24". Good day!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I suffered HORRIBLY from a head cold on Thursday-Saturday. I was still suffering on Sunday, but I didn't take any medicine because I didn't know how it might affect me. My only real concern was hydration. I felt like the cold took a lot out of me. But obviously, I handled it all okay.

Event comments:

I think I'm still partial to Indianapolis for a Half Marathon. But I still had a great time. Fun fun fun!

Last updated: 2006-01-17 12:00 AM
Running
02:07:40 | 13.1 miles | 09m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/475
Overall: 0/7355
Performance: Good
Course: I had fun. It was basically flat and it was fun to see Houston from the street level like this.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-01-17 11:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Ohio
Subject: Houston Half Marathon

2006-01-17 11:31 PM
in reply to: #326298

Champion
Subject: RE: Houston Half Marathon
Woo hoo...I've been waiting for your report. Congrats on a great time! Wow, you're not that far from breaking 2 hrs for the 1/2 mary!!! And dang, 1 minute faster than my PR too, so I can see I have some work to do to catch up. Way to go Michele!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Houston Half Marathon Rss Feed