General Discussion Triathlon Talk » International Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-24 10:17 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Subject: International Ironman
What do yall think about doing an ironman overseas (specifically Switzerland)? Is it complete madness?

Has anyone done a european ironman, and do you have any tips?

How long do I need to be there before the race to get adequately acclimated? Are they likely to be lacking in supplies / nutrition / amenitities that are always at US races? How about transporting the bike overseas?

Any word on all this would be helpful. I'm signed up but not 100% committed. (No plane ticket yet.)

2006-01-25 9:02 AM
in reply to: #331152

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Subject: RE: International Ironman
I have not done an ironman overseas, but I have done a cycling trip in France and stayed in Switzerland.

Getting the bike oversees was really no different than bringing it somewhere in the states....get/rent a hard shell bike case...the airline charged me $80.00 each way. Cycling in Europe is so popular that any mechanical issues can be taken care of very quickly....especially if you ride campi......I actually arrived in Geneva, Switzerland and took the train...wouldn't suggest taking the train with your bike!

I didn't have any issues with jet lag.......we were in the alps so the altitude or maybe the 14% grades were tough the first few days....oh wait maybe they were tough the whole time.

Bring your own nutritional products because that is what you are use to. Food shouldn't be a problem you can find pasta, bread, fish without any problems. So many people speak english that language should not be a huge issue. The water was freezing in July there....Hotels there are very nice, just small....and everything was a little more expensive.

Beautiful, beautiful place.....I actually considered it this year.....that or Australia, because I have family going there at the same time.

What is the longest event you have done? I think as long as you have some triathlon experience and you familiarize yourself with the course it would be a great experience.

I'm interested in what others have to say!

2006-01-25 9:29 AM
in reply to: #331333

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Hey, thanks for that. Yeah, I was wondering about the bike-on-train issue. The race is in Zurich, and my boyfriend has family in Geneva, so I had been pondering the idea of spending some time there.

I've done 1 sprint, 4 olympics, 1 half ironman, and by the race, I will have done another olympic and half.
2006-01-25 9:54 AM

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Well it sounds like you have enough tri expeience....... Personally I think it would be an experience of a lifetime....and if you boyfriend has family that's an extra bonus...they could be very helpful

Geneva is a great City. The trains are a wonderful form of transportation there. If they say they are leaving at 12:01....they leave at 12:01. There is usually not much room for the bike case and trying to get your luggage and the bike case on at the same time...is lets say challenging. There are not to many people in the train station to help...and there is already the stress of making sure you are on the correct train. You could probably have your bike shipped to Zurich and held at the airport. Or rent a car. The elevators were so small in the hotels that only me and my bike case could fit in one.

(CIMG1650.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
CIMG1650.jpg (30KB - 27 downloads)
2006-01-25 10:04 AM
in reply to: #331381

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
wow, that's a great picture. i see your point! Thanks!
2006-01-25 9:40 PM

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Robin-here's a link you might look into if you decide to do Ironman Switzerland!

http://www.endurancesportstravel.com/index.asp

2006-02-04 10:45 PM

New user
Toronto
I am off to do IM Austria in July, for my first IM after doing a number of sprints and one oly. From what I have been told by a number of individuals the acclimatization is somewhat personal. If you have travelled previously and find yourself getting over the jet lag quickly then it should not be that much different. It has been suggested that you arrive 4 days or so in advance to get fully comfortable with time zone etc. From my perspective it depends on getting time from work and expense!

Many of the European IM's are starting fill quickly as the sport is catching on. I think they offer a great combination of travelling the world with a passion for the sport of triathlon.

good luck
2006-02-17 1:09 PM

User image

Expert
San Diego
Sweet there is some good advice here. I am thinking about doing IM Germany next summer, my first full Ironman! I'll have 2 HIM's, at least 3 sprints and a few OLY's under my belt by that time. I'm excited.
2006-02-21 10:04 AM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

I've been contemplating IM Swiss or IM Ger for 2007.  Hmmm.... 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » International Ironman Rss Feed