General Discussion Triathlon Talk » abrasions/cuts at the back of the feet 3 inches above the heel of the foot Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-06 1:19 PM

Veteran
Singapore
Subject: abrasions/cuts at the back of the feet 3 inches above the heel of the foot
I noticed that when I run for long distance I sometimes tend to get abrasions/cuts on the back of my feet(around 3 inches above the heel). Seems to be when I run, the top back of my shoe rubs against the back of my feet(around 3 inches above the heel) if you know what I mean. Anyone have such problems and what did you do about it? Currently I just place a plaster on it to protect the back of my feet and for it to heal and not make matters worse.

2004-05-06 1:35 PM
in reply to: #23332

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: RE: abrasions/cuts at the back of the feet 3 inches above the heel of the foot
I'm sure there's some high-tech runner's solution for this, but I'd probably (1) get taller socks that cover that area and prevent the abrasion or (2) get stick-on mole skin, which is what I do when dress shoes rub against that part. Mole skin is kinda like felt that you can stick onto the shoe, your skin, or both to reduce the abrasion. You should be able to find it at shoe stores or in the pharmacy by the shoe inserts.
2004-05-06 2:05 PM

Cambridge, UK
Subject: RE: abrasions/cuts at the back of the feet 3 inches above the heel of the foot
i read somwhere on the 'net about this problem - there was a suggestion to make some vertical cuts (3 or 5) in the heel of the shoe to relieve the pressure. make small cuts first obviously!

there was more to the article with other suggestions but cant remember exactly where i saw it, will investigate further when i have more time.

this site has some good tips for common running problems too..
http://www.realrunner.com/ukandeurope/injuryclinic/index.htm

hope this helps!
Barry
2004-05-06 10:30 PM

User image

Expert
Torrington,CT
Sounds like your sneakers don't fit correctly and your getting heel slippage. If that's not the problem, it may be your socks. Wear a sock that is made of coolmax and covers the abrasions. Look at Road runner sports web site. They have some good pointers regarding the tying of sneakers in order to keep the heels from slipping. If that doesn't work, it time to get fitted with a new running shoe.
Evelyn
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » abrasions/cuts at the back of the feet 3 inches above the heel of the foot Rss Feed