General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So, what's your funniest moment after losing weight? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-11-04 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3821843

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: So, what's your funniest moment after losing weight?
I lost 50lbs. I went to a friends house, whom I hadn't seen in a while. I walked in the door and he, seriously, asked me if I had cancer! Well........his actual words contained quite a bit more colorful language actually.

2011-11-04 2:38 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

I'll revive this thread in about 6 months when I have something to report

2011-11-04 3:36 PM

User image

No real funny stories about my weight loss.  But my cousin started losing weight by running about the same time I did.  I had no idea she was running or trying to lose weight.  She came by my grandma's house for Thanksgiving and I did not recognize her at all.  She said hi to me and gave me a hug...and it still wasn't about till an hour after that did I realize it was her.
2011-11-04 7:48 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
I lost over 70 lbs about 8 years ago, I have kept at least 60 of them off.  My kids were a lot younger when I started this journey so they don't really remember my fat days.  My daugter saw an old photo of me and exclaimed "MOM, YOU WERE FAT!"
2011-11-04 11:18 PM
in reply to: #3825585

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
Flapjack - 2011-11-04 1:52 PM
CKTX - 2011-11-04 12:34 PM

My wife and I lost 20lbs each last year, through a balance of diet and exercise. That was 10% of my body weight and I lost 2 inches off my waist. We both got lots of compliments. My tri training started after that and I stayed almost exactly the same weight for approximately 1 year, but I still kept getting comments.  Apparently the change in body composition showed at least as much as the dramatic weight loss.

The funny parts are when co-workers who work at other sites and only see me 1-2x/yr have trouble recognizing me. Also, my wife now mixes up my shorts with my 11-year-old's.

ETA: I still feel overweight (and am, by the stats, within just 7 lbs of being "overweight"). I was once technically "obese" though nobody would have guessed by looking at me. I train with people who tell me I am smaller than they are and I don't believe them, but I guess my eyes just haven't adjusted to my size. Or I really am just running (and swimming and riding) away from my old, fat self who keeps chasing me.

Its been 8 years since I lost the bulk of my weight.  I year since I had the excess skin carved off me.  I still see the fat me in pictures.  Can't shake it.  Body image dismorphia (sp?) I guess.  I was really fat for a long time.  Someone else said it on elsewhere on the board, but I sense this too.....the thinner I get the more fat I see on my body.

I have a few lbs to lose.  I want to be lean and not skinny.  That's the tricky part.

I have enjoyed reading your updates on the body lift? Or whatever the term is. I'm glad that it has worked out for you, but frankly, you scared me away from looking into the procedure for myself.It has been seven years for me, but I still despair every morning over my "fat roll". I really have no fat left but that flap of skin hanging over the seatbelt just makes me self conscious. I stick to one piece suits or my tri bib to hide it. I'm impressed by how many of you can rock the two piece. I feel like a cow in two piece.
2011-11-04 11:21 PM
in reply to: #3834344

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
QueenZipp - 2011-11-04 7:48 PMI lost over 70 lbs about 8 years ago, I have kept at least 60 of them off.  My kids were a lot younger when I started this journey so they don't really remember my fat days.  My daugter saw an old photo of me and exclaimed "MOM, YOU WERE FAT!"
My 4 year old girls love to look through pictures and name the people they know. It cracks me up when we hit any of my before pictures.

2011-11-05 11:37 AM
in reply to: #3834471

New user
Connecticut Shore

Its been 8 years since I lost the bulk of my weight.  I year since I had the excess skin carved off me.  I still see the fat me in pictures.  Can't shake it.  Body image dismorphia (sp?) I guess.  I was really fat for a long time.  Someone else said it on elsewhere on the board, but I sense this too.....the thinner I get the more fat I see on my body.

I have a few lbs to lose.  I want to be lean and not skinny.  That's the tricky part.

I have enjoyed reading your updates on the body lift? Or whatever the term is. I'm glad that it has worked out for you, but frankly, you scared me away from looking into the procedure for myself.It has been seven years for me, but I still despair every morning over my "fat roll". I really have no fat left but that flap of skin hanging over the seatbelt just makes me self conscious. I stick to one piece suits or my tri bib to hide it. I'm impressed by how many of you can rock the two piece. I feel like a cow in two piece.

I would do the surgery again in a second.  I should have done it sooner.  You don't have to live with that roll.  What I did was crazy scary and the scars are huge, but it was worth it.

"Despair" doesn't have to be what you feel in the morning.  I marvel at my body now, scars and all.

You will feel better all around. 

When you run everything stays in one place.    I have a waist.  The word svelt (I chuckle at the thought) was used, once, to describe me now.  Even though the weight loss from the surgery was only 8ish lbs, it was a crucial 8 lbs. 

I don't get raw spots on my skin from it rubbing up and down on my shirts when I run.  (That was gross).

Women actually run their eyes up and down my body.

TOTALLY WORTH IT!! 

You can PM me if you want.

2011-11-05 11:38 AM

New user
Connecticut Shore
Should have had some quotes in the top half of that post.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So, what's your funniest moment after losing weight? Rss Feed  

of 2