General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reminded - It's just a hobby - Long Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-01 1:09 PM

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Subject: Reminded - It's just a hobby - Long
My 9 year old son and I are in the midst of a successful rec basketball season (I coach). He has decided to tryout for spring travel basketball (AAU). If he makes it, I’ll coach him there as well for 6 weeks. He’s got some skills and an incredible passion for the game. He understands that if he is going to excel at it he’s got to seek out competition and play year round. (yahoo, no more baseball!) If he wants this, it’s my obligation (and pleasure) to support him. Of course, this will seriously impede my training schedule and probably my race schedule as well. I will focus on my first HIM knowing that bike training time will be hard to come by. I’ll do what I can and hope for the best. (Did I mention, that I’m coaching him in an outdoor night summer league as well).As a parent I’ve been reminded that this Tri-thing is just a hobby. My son’s immediate future and his dreams (playing at NC, like Mike - hey might as well dream big at 9 right?) are much more important to me than any race schedule and related training I may have planned. I often get carried away here on BT but I know it’s all a balancing act. I’m aware too, that there are many BT’ers who juggle many balls and still achieve their Tri goals. I’ll do the same. Thanks to you guys for providing the inspiration. This site really offers so much to a diverse group. Kudos to Ron for that!

2006-02-01 1:16 PM
in reply to: #336520

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Reminded - It's just a hobby - Long

I say go with the kid.  I wish my kids were still 9 years old.  Those are great years.  

TW

2006-02-01 1:24 PM

Pro
Andover
“As a parent I’ve been reminded that this Tri-thing is just a hobby. My son’s immediate future and his dreams … are much more important to me than any race schedule and related training I may have planned.”

I agree! I know if I had kids I wouldn’t be putting in any where near the training time I am now–or will be going for ward to IMLP.

CONGATS to you, Mark, for keeping the priorities in order!
2006-02-01 1:54 PM
in reply to: #336538

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

CptnJackSparrow - 2006-02-01 1:24 PM  I know if I had kids I wouldn’t be putting in any where near the training time I am now–or will be going for ward to IMLP.

Oddly enough, there are many among us who put in the training we do at least in part because we do have kids. 

I also think you have the right attitude, and maybe it won't be as bad as it seems now.  Besides, when our kids are all older and out of the house we can all kick a** in the older age groups because we won't have burned out during our 30's and 40's, right?  right?  right?

2006-02-01 1:58 PM
in reply to: #336562

Elite
Laurium, MI
hangloose - 2006-02-01 12:54 PM

CptnJackSparrow - 2006-02-01 1:24 PM I know if I had kids I wouldn’t be putting in any where near the training time I am now–or will be going for ward to IMLP.

Oddly enough, there are many among us who put in the training we do at least in part because we do have kids.

I also think you have the right attitude, and maybe it won't be as bad as it seems now. Besides, when our kids are all older and out of the house we can all kick a** in the older age groups because we won't have burned out during our 30's and 40's, right? right? right?

lol. If it's riding you're concerned with, take your son along. It's GREAT cross training for Bball
2006-02-01 2:01 PM
in reply to: #336562

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
hangloose - 2006-02-01 1:54 PM

... maybe it won't be as bad as it seems now.  Besides, when our kids are all older and out of the house we can all kick a** in the older age groups because we won't have burned out during our 30's and 40's, right?  right?  right?  

ABSOLUTELY!!!!! I personally refuse to burn out in my thirties, but just wait until I'm 55 heee hee.

Mine are teenagers and it really DOES get easier, although I spend a lot of time shuttling to basketball/swimming/music lessons/girl scouts...(holy crap I didn't realize how much time I spend in the car...) you do get more time as they get older and they don't really want you around anyway

In the meantime, enjoy nine.  It only comes once.  Whenever I feel like whining over a parental duty I remind myself what my priorities are...my kids, or my training?  Needless to say kids win every time.

Edited by CindyK 2006-02-01 2:02 PM

2006-02-01 2:46 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
rollinbones - 2006-02-01 1:09 PM

My 9 year old son and I are in the midst of a successful rec basketball season (I coach). He has decided to tryout for spring travel basketball (AAU).

Congratulations to both of you!

If he makes it, I’ll coach him there as well for 6 weeks. He’s got some skills and an incredible passion for the game. He understands that if he is going to excel at it he’s got to seek out competition and play year round. (yahoo, no more baseball!) If he wants this, it’s my obligation (and pleasure) to support him.

As Tim Allen would say, "Whoa, back up the truck there.

By all means, enjoy the opportunity to watch (and help) him excel at something. Is it an obligation? probably not. If you ever get to the point where you have no enthusiasm to support his activity, don't feel obligated to do so.

All too often, children become "the center of the universe" with everything revolving around their wants and needs. Needs must be met. Wants may be very strong, and they may have very attractive benefits, but ultimately, wants must be balanced among the family members. Suppressing your wants (Mom's are especially bad at this) to indulge more of your child's wants is a recipe for both parent burnout and spoiled-rotten-children.

Of course, this will seriously impede my training schedule and probably my race schedule as well. I will focus on my first HIM knowing that bike training time will be hard to come by. I’ll do what I can and hope for the best. (Did I mention, that I’m coaching him in an outdoor night summer league as well).As a parent I’ve been reminded that this Tri-thing is just a hobby. My son’s immediate future and his dreams (playing at NC, like Mike - hey might as well dream big at 9 right?) are much more important to me than any race schedule and related training I may have planned. I often get carried away here on BT but I know it’s all a balancing act. I’m aware too, that there are many BT’ers who juggle many balls and still achieve their Tri goals. I’ll do the same. Thanks to you guys for providing the inspiration. This site really offers so much to a diverse group. Kudos to Ron for that!

There should be some natural ebb and flow over the year and years. I'm content with the sacrifices I made when my children were younger. I'm enjoying the additional me-time as they get older (they're 19, 16, 13, and 13). I believe that forcing them to pick and choose some activities now (thereby not doing other activities) gives them the skills to prioritize and pursue their own interests as adults.

Again, keep some "me-time"

Congratulations!
2006-02-01 3:19 PM

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Thanks all, I knew I'd find more support here! Yes, the time sure flies and i'm enjoying every stage. Coaching young kids has proven to be truely rewarding. Coaching my own son has proven to be truely challenging!
2006-02-01 3:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, OH
rollinbones - 2006-02-01 1:09 PM

My 9 year old son and I are in the midst of a successful rec basketball season (I coach). He has decided to tryout for spring travel basketball (AAU). If he makes it, I’ll coach him there as well for 6 weeks. He’s got some skills and an incredible passion for the game. He understands that if he is going to excel at it he’s got to seek out competition and play year round. (yahoo, no more baseball!) If he wants this, it’s my obligation (and pleasure) to support him. Of course, this will seriously impede my training schedule and probably my race schedule as well. I will focus on my first HIM knowing that bike training time will be hard to come by. I’ll do what I can and hope for the best. (Did I mention, that I’m coaching him in an outdoor night summer league as well).As a parent I’ve been reminded that this Tri-thing is just a hobby. My son’s immediate future and his dreams (playing at NC, like Mike - hey might as well dream big at 9 right?) are much more important to me than any race schedule and related training I may have planned. I often get carried away here on BT but I know it’s all a balancing act. I’m aware too, that there are many BT’ers who juggle many balls and still achieve their Tri goals. I’ll do the same. Thanks to you guys for providing the inspiration. This site really offers so much to a diverse group. Kudos to Ron for that!

Cool man. That's a cool attitude. Here's another perspective to consider: After you dedicate a bunch of time to coaching your kid, sit him down and ask him if he would be okay w/ you taking some time to pursue something that you really want to do (like your HIM). If he's cool with it this will be good for *him* in two ways. 1. He'll get to observe Dad as a role model, working hard toward a goal and accomplishing it. 2. He'll get to "give" something to Dad and experience the act of selflessness.

Just something to think about.

HD
2006-02-01 3:55 PM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT

I know how you feel, I have an 8yo son who is way into hockey.  This year he got into a more involved program than in years past because wanted to play more.  So ever since the beginning of September, I take him to practice twice a week during the weekdays, and then he has games every Saturday and Sunday (sometimes 2 games a day).  This will continue until the end of March.  This definitely puts a challenge in the training schedule.  I've been on my bike at some pretty odd times through the fall and winter.  But for me it's a sacrifice of love.  This is the one thing the boy really loves doing, and if it makes him happy, then it makes me happy.

Chris

2006-02-01 4:23 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
wonderful post. supporting your son is of course, #1 - but its a good example to him to lead by example, follow your own dreams, and make choices like the ones you are making. putting family first, but still managing things in a way that makes time for you to have your own goals. it is nearly impossible for me to get in long rides, especially as my girls get older, bigger, heavier (used to pull them in the burley, but that will be harder this year). still, i was able to get in 150+ miles on the trainer this month, all without cutting into family time. it is possible, it just takes juggling and that old alarm clock! best of luck and success to your son...and you!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reminded - It's just a hobby - Long Rss Feed