HARRA
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 42m 47s
Overall Rank = 54/65
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/4
Pre-race routine:

Didn't get much sleep last night, Didn't stretch enough, ate poorly. Forgot my shake this morning and decided to eat a gel pack with a HUGE bottle of water so I would have "something" in my stomach. BAD MOVE, I was ready to hurl the ENTIRE race!!
Event warmup:

It was so cold you could see your breath in the air. I didn't really warm up very well...just sorta stretched here and there and then strolled on over to the starting line with the rest of the chattering lips & shivering bodies.
Run
  • 42m 47s
  • 3.73 miles
  • 11m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

The course had TWO MAJOR HILLS, (this is Houston, where the heck did these hills come from??) Nearly EVERYONE walked up the hills and had to go slow going down them, (they were STEEP!). Add onto that piles and piles of mud you had to run/slide through. It was a nice run, ironically even with the uneven pavement, the grass running and the hills, the knee didn't give me much trouble (slight tingling). I was there by myself too, so I didn't have anyone to cheer me on or push me either. Just like everyone else, I started out WAY too fast across the grass which screeched to a halt when we hit the mud and the first monster hill less than 1/8 of a mile into the 1st loop of the race. We did the same course 3 times.

What would you do differently?:

HEADPHONES & BREATHING:
This was the first time I'd run a race or exercised with headphones. I don't think I will run races with the headphones again because it fluctuates my breathing too much. And in order for the music to be effective, I had to turn it up LOUD, so I didn't hear my breathing, so I couldn't/didn't slow it down or moderate it, so my pace was completely out of wack.

STOP WATCH & MY PACE:
I didn't have a stopwatch, so I wasn't able to keep track of my pace and they didn't have volunteers yelling it out either. And because it was not EXACTLY a solid mileage race, (1 mile each loop), it was hard to do the math and figure out what my pace was during each loop. A watch is a MUST PURCHASE today!!

I'LL CATCH UP:
There were a few times I gave up. (right after the hills.) Not entirely, but I was feeling the affects of the cold weather in my throat, the irratic pace and the distance between myself and the runners ahead and behind me, and the severe nausea in my stomach & so I slowed way down. Well, the girl that got the medal award at the end, in 3rd place ahead of me in our age group was the one I let pass me by saying to myself "I'll catch up." I never did. I had a VERY strong 1/2 mile finish, there's NO reason other than my own self-doubt that held me back...so I'm suffering from the "would've / should've / could've" sadness right now. I should have pushed harder, I could have gotten a medal, I would have broken my PR.....I'm VERY disappointed in myself.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mainly my own self-will, the mudd, and the hills (they really kicked my butt!)

Event comments:

This was a smaller race put on by the Houston Harriers. (Approx. 200 entrants). It was VERY reminiscent of a high school cross country meet. :)

Last updated: 2006-02-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:42:47 | 03.73 miles | 11m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 54/65
Performance: Good
Course: http://www.harra.org/Route.asp?MapID=822 3 loops approximating the route of the 2003 USATF Cross-country championships. The course was off-road cross country style. Two major hill inclines, two major hill declines, on pavement/off pavement, at least half of each loop was grass running.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes