General Discussion Race Reports! » East Beach Norfolk Half Marathon and 5K: 02/04/2006 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

East Beach Norfolk Half Marathon and 5K: 02/04/2006 - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
norfolk, Virginia
United States
kyle running
56F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 12m 49s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

http://norfolkhalfmarathon.kalerunning.com/event_info.html

got to the hotel late abot 12 after 5 hrs of driving!!!. marsh decided on twin bed and kept waking every minute gotup after nosleeping abput 5 am went to another bed but still gotup tired shower and prep as usual ate banana in the car felt warm temps outside about 54 humidyty at 100% was puring down when I picked up the packet

Event warmup:

run quarter mile /rain/strapped shins ate banana and relaxed.. wormup was good nothing gave away future problems
Run
  • 2h 12m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

weight lifting and spin class thursday and friday and the sleepless night... up to 5th mile run was fair but after that I was very tired and than finaly I started to walk!!!! lol
What would you do differently?:

cannot lift and spin and do any hard activity 2 days before any race until I figure out what happened. In about 1 hr into race the HR went to abot 219 and I just felt out of air totaly... compared the data on other races and did not find anything like this happened before. I have no clue why the rate was so high to the rest of the race from 196- to 178 even after a walk it would not go down below 172... this is not only unusual but alsohave never happened before. I only remember the bikeride in summer when it went high up the hill and I had to take a rest dehydration and sleepless night before was the problem than...

another correction is to start going to the races by myself... I just feel that I cannot have the company... every race with folks are low score. sory brothers I cant take you with me anymore until I realy rock..lol

another thing to consider... music must come off the ears for training and racing... too much distrction.

another thing to consider pick races that are closer home especialy longdistance ... or just stay 2 nites at the site.
Post race
Warm down:

no

What limited your ability to perform faster:

high HR humidity and the sudden uprise of temps 56.. the weather actualy felt like 72

Event comments:

race was on the one line of traffic a teh beach fron community. traffic was allowed but was at times standing still what produced smelly fumes!!! people on sides were sometimes smoking! and that was not pleasant at all. Surface of the side was graded and by arches hurt horrible from one side to the other it was hard at times to keep a good pace as the cars were trying to cut at the front of me(2) times. Race had no spectators( off season at the beach) felt very loony at times as the hood wasnt the best quality. BUTi FOUND THE GASS STATION FOR 2.21 PER GALLON CHEAPEST INT EH ENTIRE STATE...LOL

I would not recommend this race. the kalerunning though is the best organizer in terms of time posting and pictures Very GOOD job to kalerunning team for the online updates!!!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-01-01 12:00 AM
Running
02:12:49 | 13.1 miles | 10m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/
Overall: 50/
Performance: Bad
13 288 F 30-34 Fusiarska, Juliette Erica Rockville MD 20850 156 2:12:49 2:12:38 34 F 13 10:07/M 49.6 281 all data on garmin
Course: city street beach front pity we couldnt see the beach. half of the street was designated for run and return. about 300+participants Congratulations Juliette on finishing the East Beach Norfolk Half Marathon & 5K on February 04, 2006. For your records, the weather that day was Overcast, 55 degrees F, 93% humidity, Wind SW 7 mph. There were 21 finishers in the Female 30 to 34 age group and 347 finishers in the Half Marathon division. Your overall finish place was 288, your age group finish place was 13 and your gender finish place was 89. Your time 2:12:48.20 gave you a 10:07 pace per mile. Thank you for coming out to the inagural Norfolk Half Marathon in East Beach. We are very excited about our new partinership and look forward to making this event thrive and grow in its new home. As usual, please feel free to provide your input. It will help us to make this event become a premier event in our area. For a full listing of results please visit www.norfolkhalfmarathon.kalerunning.com. For event photos visit www.triduo.com Happy Running, Team Kale
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %na
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-02-05 5:18 PM

User image

New user

Rockville, MD
Subject: East Beach Norfolk Half Marathon and 5K: 02/04/2006
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » East Beach Norfolk Half Marathon and 5K: 02/04/2006 Rss Feed