General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brand New Newbie Seeks Equipment Advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-10 7:31 PM

Subject: Brand New Newbie Seeks Equipment Advice
Hi, I'm Phileda. I live in south Texas, and I am starting the Couch to Sprint program from this website. I'm trying to juggle my triathlete goals with horseback riding, school, band, and piano, so I expect this to require some serious dedication.
I intend on purchasing a bicycle, but I really don't want to spent huge amounts of money on it. Does anyone have any ideas for an inexpensive bike that would do what I need it to do (probably won't ever exceed the Olympic triathlon races)?
All advice on amateur equipment purchases of all sorts welcome!
-Phileda

2004-05-10 9:20 PM
in reply to: #24078

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Brand New Newbie Seeks Equipment Advice
"I intend on purchasing a bicycle, but I really don't want to spent huge amounts of money on it. "

So, what price range is "not a huge amount of money"? It is a different figure for everyone. Whatever the amount though, start by checking out what is available in your local bike shops. I would suggest that you think of purchasing a road bike as opposed to a triathlon specific bike if you do not own a road bike already. If you can only afford one bike, you are better off getting a bike that you can use for training and racing. Test ride various models that strike your fancy and budget. Then, ask questions here on on the bicycling.com "buying" forum. Also, if you are severely strapped for cash, you can look at second hand road bikes on your local bicycling club(s) and triathlon club(s) internet sites; there are some good deals to be had there.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brand New Newbie Seeks Equipment Advice Rss Feed