General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bikes and Bees Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-11 11:35 AM

New user

East County, San Diego
Subject: Bikes and Bees
Now that this is over it's pretty funny so I figured I'd share. On Sunday I was all pumped up for my first Brick of the season. I was to bike 12 and run three to get ready for a Sprint Tri on May 23. I headed out the door and was feeling very good on the bike. I was about 5 miles in and doing about 20 MPH sucking air with my mouth. All of a sudden I hear and feel something hit my helmet. Next thing I know a bee is in my mouth and stings me on the inside of my lip. OUCH! I tried to be tough and I finished the ride I could feel my lip was quite large. When I got home and looked in the mirror I looked like Eddie Murphy when he was transforming in the Nutty Profeesor. Needless to say I cancelled the run potion of the brick. Man I looked great for Mothers day dinner! I managed to do my Brick on Monday.
Someone let me know how to post a photo? :-O

2004-05-11 11:39 AM
in reply to: #24219

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Bikes and Bees
Ah, those pesky bees. Happened to me last year going up a steep hill. Silly little creature was not looking where it was flying and flew in under my sunglasses!!! Ouch, was he mad...stung me on temple--better than in the eye--and it stung like heck. Gee whiz, I had a lump the size of an egg by the time I got home and the sting burned like fire.
2004-05-11 11:52 AM
in reply to: #24220

User image

Elite
Reno
Once I was riding along wearing a baggy T-shirt and a bee flew into it via the neckline. We propably traveled up and down a few hills together, me happily unaware of him. Then, he stung! It happened to be my third be sting that day thanks to a lawn mowing adventure that morning. Well, that was too much, and a farmer found me sitting on the side of the the road not breathing very well. He called my parents (it was over 20 years ago) who came and got me. I now carry a bee kit. Come to think of it - I should get that renewed - once realized I was carrying one that was 3 years expired!

2004-05-11 12:28 PM

New user
Iowa
Ouch! No fun getting stung! I was on my way home after a long ride and was coming up on one of the busiest intersections in town, unfortunately no other way to get home except to cross it and something flew down the neck of my jersey. I thought it was a bug until it started stinging me - ouch, ouch, ouch! No choice but to drop the bike, not sure how I got off so fast as I was clipped in, threw down the bike in the grass, ripped off my helmet and jersey and found the culprit stuck to my shoulder! So here I am along side of the road realizing that I'm 1/2 naked (had a sports bra on) with drivers honking and whistling! How embarrassing!

Great job on getting the brick in -even if it was the next day!!!
2004-05-11 1:29 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Boy, this is more common than I thought!  I was hiking recently and a mountain biker headed towards me started screaming - he asked me to look at his lip.  It was huge!  He was stung by a bee while riding too!  Just weird.
2004-05-11 1:41 PM

Champion
2 years ago, Jonathan Vaughters got stung badly during an early stage of the Tour de France. Right next to his eye and it swelled up so badly that his face was a mess and he couldn't see. Drug test rules regarding banned substances meant he couldn't take a specific medication to reduce the swelling. He had to drop out of the race as a result. What a way to end the build up to an entire season!

Max

2004-05-11 2:29 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: Sounds very familiar.....

I am allergic to bees.  Last time a wasp got me in the back, I ended up in the ER.

On Saturday, I had a large bee fly into/under my bike glasses and get stuck there for close to a minute.  It was too close to my eye to see if it was a wasp.  I was freaking out !!  If that thing had stung me in the face I would have been calling 911 on my cell phone right away.

I was really cruising fast on my bike so I couldn't just reach up and brush it off.  After I slowed down, I pulled the shades off and shook it loose, and  all was well.  Talk about an adrenaline rush......

I have EPI pens in both of my cars and at home, but I think cell phone and EPI pen now are mandatory for bike rides (and maybe running trails).

Dan

2004-05-11 3:01 PM

New user

East County, San Diego
Boy this is common. I ordered an EPI pen to keep on my bike.
2004-05-11 4:14 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
I was riding with Hubby one evening in very baggy shorts. As I biked, they bellowed out to the sides like windsocks. Predictably, I scooped up a bee or yellow jacket and got a nice sting on the leg for my foolishness. Luckily, I'm not particularly allergic, so it swelled up no more than the size of a quarter and I kept on going.
2004-05-11 5:05 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Ok, what is a bee kit and what is an EPI pen?
2004-05-11 6:04 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
No, no, no, no, no! I can't hear you, I can't hear you! lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala

I love bees, really I do. I think they're the greatest little workers on the planet, and I know that if I want tomatoes, I need to invite the bees. I even read "The Secret Life of Bees". But I have a horrible fear of being stung! I was stung by a wasp on the head and finger when I was 7 and I've never gotten over it.

I ran into something on this afternoon's ride, but it didn't get caught in me, so whatever it was went on its way. But now you've all got me totally paranoid about riding! And I ride in the country, between the vineyards and horse pastures filled with pretty wildflowers and other bee-attracting plants.

OK. Time to face this fear, Karen!

Let's see... maybe I can manage not wearing baggy clothes, and my sunglasses are the wrap-around kind, and, most importantly, I'll remember August's words of wisdom to Lily. "No life-loving bee will ever sting you."

2004-05-11 6:09 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
EW
EW
EW
EW!
I've never been stung by a bee (knock on wood).
I just get chased by small tiny dogs when I ride.

and what is an EPI pen?

nt

2004-05-11 7:59 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

Aaaaaack!

Now you have all made me paranoid about bee stings.  I have no idea how this has happened, but I have never been stung, ever.  And I am outside a lot of the time.  I have a lot of allergies, so hopefully I will never be stung and find out that I am allergic to them too!

An EPI pen is adrenaline in a spring loaded needle contraption (looks like a pen).  If you are having an anaphylactic reaction, then you can easily "inject" yourself by sticking the pen into your body (I think it is your leg but I'm not sure) to slow down or stop the allergic reaction

Jen

2004-05-11 8:03 PM
in reply to: #24299

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Bee kits and epi pens contain medicine that people with severe allergies need if they get stung by an insect. As you know, if the allergy is severe enough, they don't have enough time to make it to the hospital.

EPI is short for epinephrine -- the drug that stops the body's allergic reaction. A bee kit has a prefilled syringe whereas the epi pen is an auto injector: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epi-pen
2004-05-11 8:34 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
OMG!!

On the day before my race on May 2, I was doing a short, short bike ride (~20min) to keep myself loose, and on my way back in, Something flew into my helmet, right by my ear. And it HURT!!

So much so that I was whacking at my head, and nearly crashed myself into a moving vehicle while trying to stop, whack at my head and steer at the same time.

Finally stopped, tossed off my helmet and continued the whacking process, so the bee (so that's what it was!!) fall to the ground. Then I pulled the sting out from my neck, just below my ear lobe.

Ick!!

I don't think it's a prolific problem and ultimately the danger came primarily from the car!!

D
2004-05-11 8:51 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Man, bees and other bugs pester me.

A few weekends ago, I was on mile 20 of a 35 mile ride, when a be got in my shorts. I ride a mountain bike still, and I've got Pearl Izumi mtn bike shorts, that are an inner bike short, and outer baggy short. Well, the bee got inbetween the two and stung me on the back of the leg! Ouch! I almost wrecked, but managed to pull over hop off the bike, and run around frantically swatting at my legs. I must have looked crazy, but I think only a few horses saw me.

Then, this last weekend, was doing some singletrack through the woods, and got quite hot, so unzipped the front of my jersey a bit. Big mistake. I guess a spider got into it, 'cause next thing I know I've been bit by something 4-5 times on my chest/stomach. Repeat the almost crashing, jumping off the bike, and swatting aimlessly at myself.

Glad to know I'm not the only one with run ins of our smaller insectoid friends.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bikes and Bees Rss Feed