General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hi Altitude Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-11 4:45 PM

Rockwall, TX (Dallas area)
Subject: Hi Altitude Training
I'm planning to spend a few weeks in the Rockies...10,000 feet and above. Some questions:

How long does it take to adjust well enough to run or mountain at this altitude? I've done plenty of skiing at altitude...but
downhill doesn't require the same kind of endurance.

Do I actually gain some benefit from training at altitude for a short time (two weeks or so?)

Anyone know any great (safe) road biking areas near Breckenridge or in Park County?

Thanks,

Don

2004-05-11 4:53 PM
in reply to: #24288

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Hi Altitude Training

Hey there - truly it takes about 3 months to FULLY acclimatize with new red blood cells, etc.  Most important tip - DRINK MORE WATER.  Especially if you are hanging out in Breck (9600 ft above sea level).  Beware of altitude sickness (headache, nausea)

You will notice it is more difficult to run, bike, etc, but give it a try.  When I moved to CO, I was short of breath climbing my stairs for about a month!  And I live at about 5300 ft.

As far as biking, there is a great, mostly paved path (rolling hills) between Breckenridge and Frisco - it is off the main road, but follows the road.  If you want to do some climbing on your bike, ride rt 9 between Breck and Fairplay (in Park Co.) - it has good shoulders, but you go over Hoosier pass.  Another good bike climb is Loveland pass. 

Have a great trip and if you need more Colorado tips, just ask!

2004-05-11 4:55 PM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
Hi Don,

When I moved back here (Littleton ~6000 ft) from Texas, it took me about a week to be able to do my normal run distance without wheezing (and it still didn't feel great). I found running to be the worst because it is the most cardio-intensive. You'll also feel the altitude when hiking and mountain biking, but if you drink a lot of water and don't drink any alcohol, you should be able to adjust just fine for those activities.

If you're actually going to be above 10,000 feet (hiking? camping?) I would recommend spending a couple nights at a slightly lower altitude (i.e. Denver or a ski town) to get acclimated, otherwise you're likely to experience altitude sickness (headache, nausea).

As for road biking - there's a nice bike path that runs between Breckenridge and Frisco/Dillon alongside the highway - it's flat and the scenery's nice. I think it's around 20 miles (?). You'll see it when you're driving to Breck.

Have fun in the Rockies! Colorado is the best (coming from a native)
2004-05-11 5:02 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN

I spent a week backpacking about 10,000 and higher feet last summer and handled it fine lugging 30lbs on my back.  However I did notice that after laying in my tent for 30 minutes my pulse was a comfortable 105.  Scared me to death.  We were taking it pretty easy around Bowen pass (Never Summer Wilderness) and resting quite a bit.  One problem I realized I had since I started Tri training is that I needed more carbs.  A few gel packs would of went a long way.  We had plenty of water but I was energy depleted. 

I will be back out this July to do this again only better prepared with lighter gear, less crap and more snacks.  I am not sure were we will be yet but I am flying into Denver on 7/19.

Enjoy Colorado when you are there what ever you end up doing.

2004-05-11 5:05 PM
in reply to: #24291

Rockwall, TX (Dallas area)
Don't drink any alcohol? Maybe I'll try the Bahamas instead
2004-05-11 5:13 PM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
Hehe...Okay, I didn't mean to ban alcohol Just be forewarned that a little goes a long way when you're not used to the altitude - if you drink as much as you would at sea level, you could be in for a nasty hangover.

Edited by Stacers 2004-05-11 5:14 PM

2004-05-11 5:22 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Stacey is right!  I visited Breck before I moved here - had 2 beers and was quickly 2 sheets to the wind!  WATER, WATER, WATER!
2004-05-11 11:29 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Cathy's right, it'll take several months to fully acclimate to the altitude, but a couple of weeks will be somewhat beneficial. Drink plenty of water, use plenty of sunscreen (trust me!) and be prepared to run/bike much slower for a few days. I acclimated relatively quickly, but I also started hiking/biking immediately after moving here, and I was in fairly good shape then, too.

Where are you staying? There are plenty of trails all over CO, maybe we can suggest some more?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hi Altitude Training Rss Feed