General Discussion Triathlon Talk » running form Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-12 11:29 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: running form

I went to a tri club meeting last night where the speaker (who is an ultrarunner - he basically runs 50 or 100 mile races) talked about using your core to run.  Basically, let your legs just hang there, and use your abs and back to move your body.  Sounds great in theory, since it supposedly helps to end leg/knee injuries and prevents long term problems like arthritis.  Anyone do this?  It is difficult for me to figure this out. 

He also mentioned that your body form is extremely important - keep your spine, hips in a neutral line.  It was interesting and if I learn more, I'll let you know.  But I'm curious if anyone else does this or has heard of it!

2004-05-12 11:48 AM
in reply to: #24440

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-05-12 12:21 PM

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: running form
I just finished reading a chapter about running, in the book Bike, Swim, Run (Hobson, et al). They describe just what you're describing, and they offer some good tips for doing this.

They mention that if you watch world-class runners (esp. sprinters), they tend to look like they are leaning back. This keeps the head/hips aligned properly. Shoulders back, trying to touch the shoulder blades. Feet move directly beneath the knees. You should propel yourself forward, not upward. Your strides should be measured, not real long, as lengthening strides tends to put too much pressure on the knees.

Faster cadences work wonders for uphills, too! I've found that instead of leaning into the hill, and trying to 'power' up it, just by taking shorter, quicker strides, I can get up the hill faster and without killing myself.
2004-05-12 3:34 PM

Veteran
Northern IL
Subject: RE: running form
I have recently looked into the Pose Technique for running. Basically you run on the ball of your foot. I tried the technique yesterday after a 20 mile bike ride. I ran a little over 3 miles and it felt very comfortable. My Achilles Tendon was a little sore because it was stretched more than normal. I also started running barefoot more often in a park near my house. That has made a huge difference in my ankle flexibility. There is a movement to get away from the comfort, motion control and stability shoes. I guess Nike is coming out with a shoe called the Free this summer that will simulate running barefoot when you wear it. I'm flat footed and experience no problems when I run barefoot but if you put a pair of shoes on me without orthotics and I'm in agony. One word of caution don't just change your running form overnight. You may start using muscles you haven't used in years and can cause yourself an injury.

Mike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » running form Rss Feed