Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-02-14 4:10 PM
in reply to: #345229

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: FRUSTRATED! Running- BLAH!
You can fix your form and technique and still benefit a lot without changing the way you strike... I wouldn’t make a drastic change (like changing the way you run – heel striker) until you find out exactly the source of your problem… it can be something as simple as changing sneakers, not enough warm up prior running or learning good form. Changing you running style can be a long process which does not guarantee good results for everyone

2006-02-15 8:15 AM

New user

Be careful with a "diagnosis" like "shin splints" - this is just a catch all term that means you get pain in your shins, which you know anyway !

At one time any runner who had pain between the hip and foot was said to have "shin splints" . This actually covers quite a few medical conditions

Some key questions are

a) Has the pain built up gradually over weeks and got worse as you train (i.e. a chronic overuse injury) or did it suddenly happen on one run (ie. a traumatic tear or strain of say the achilies tendon or one of the calf muscles).

b) Is the pain in the front / side / back of the shin - i.e. is it possible to identify which anatomical structure is involved. Any funny lumps or bumps ?

c) is the pain in one focal point, or is it a diffuse pain along a length of the shin - if you ae not sure try pushing with your fingers to see which bits hurt most.

c) does the pain come on during running or does it tend to hurt afterwards - and how long (minutes,days ) does the pain take to go away.

Typical "shin pain" injuries include

a) Stress fractures - small cracks in the bone - very painful but usually at a focal point , pain quickly during running and stops quickly when you stop. Usually exquisite pain if you press at a particular point on the front of the shin bone. If you have this stop running immediately

b) Chronic Compartment syndromes - your muscle expands during work and is too big for the fibrous sheath that it fits inside, so it traps nerves and blood vessels . Pain comes on gradually during the run, is quite diffuse, and can take several days to go away. This often comes from too much build up of distance too quickly.

c) Tibial stress syndrome - overwork of muscles (e.g. due to excessive pronation) causes the point where the muscles meet the shin bone to become imflamed - pain like stress fractures, but tends to be along a reasonable length rather than a single point. Can be too many miles too soon, or a gait abnormality than is causing the overload.

d) Tendon or muscle damage or tendonitis - again could be a chronic overuse problem, or a tear that has not had tome to heal.

Your pain pattern does however sound very typical. Runners often say - I had a pain, but it went away during the run so I ignored it. But next time I ran it hurt more/earlier/ did not go away , and now it hurts all the time. In general when you run your body realeases chemicals that mask pain, but it comes back when you stop.

Pain = damage ; if the pain level is more or less constant for each run, or moves round from one place to another then I tend to ignore it and carry on training. If the pain gets worse from one session to another you are either doing too much too soon, or biomechanically have a problem that means you are putting too much stress on one part of your body.

This is all a bit general and not much use to you - but my advice would be

a) try and find a good sports therapist who knows what they are talking about - they may be able to diagnose if you need orthoses, new shoes or a change in gait etc.. If you have a gait problem you may be overloading a particular structure and causing problems but without a very specific diagnosis its hard to fix.

b) Cut the running out for a few weeks until the pain has totally gone - and I mean totally gone

c) start running again with a very short distance ( half a mile )

d) Build up very gradually (half a mile at a time) and try and observe if anything in particular (running surface, speed , hills etc. ) makes things worse

e) If you get pain then immediately drop back to shorter runs and see if this helps

2006-02-15 6:27 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
HangLoose... thanks for all the links. I read them.

OK, I get the cadence idea when running... BUT what part of my foot lands first/last?

From what I gathered... I land on my forefoot (but not the ball) and roll from there? Is that correct? So, basically, my heel won't touch the ground?
2006-02-15 7:49 PM
in reply to: #346834

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
KSH - 2006-02-15 4:27 PM

BUT what part of my foot lands first/last?

From what I gathered... I land on my forefoot (but not the ball) and roll from there? Is that correct? So, basically, my heel won't touch the ground?

A mid foot strike is advised by many running disciplines. What is even more important in my mind is that your foot strikes underneath your body and never in front of your body. Heel strikers have a tendency to land in front of their body which is injury waiting to happen. Your body weight is just crushing down on your joints with every strike. It gets more natural once you assume a slight lean forward from the ankles. The idea is to direct all your momentum forward, not sideways or up and down. Chirunning does a good job explaining it.
2006-02-15 8:36 PM
in reply to: #346834

User image

Veteran
New York City
Do the streching. Land midfoot (forward part of the arch on you foot) and lean forward. Take advantage of free speed, on a down hill, don't hold back, lean forward and let gravity help you, gravity is your friend. I find that when I really feel like I am running smoothly, my foot hits the ground and I can slide it back, it is kind of like keeping constant tension on your pedals when you are biking...I switched from a heal strike to a midfoot strike and ran a 5K in less than 7min a mile last summer...oh and did I say lean forward...
2006-02-15 9:06 PM

User image

new orleans
Another cheap "fix" may be to by a pair of insoles. Superfeet have worked wonders for me. Local running shops usually carry this brand.
Also, there are muscle on your leg that need to be streghthened while running. The first 2 or 3 weeks of consistent running, it will feel like your shin bone is very tender. I generally run through this pain ( if I haven't been running in awhile). If it lasts longer, then I worry about it. It is very hard to differeintiate between bone pain and muscle pain in that area of your body. With that being said, if you are having trouble walking, then it may be a different problem.

2006-02-15 10:50 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
My tri coach met with me tonight (we have a class of 30 that he coaches, so hard to get some one-on-one time). He showed me the high cadence... short stride... no heel stricking form he uses.

I think I get it! Yes, I have to change the way I run... but I know I can do it!

With some practice, I will be running like a pro!

Thanks for all the advice and input! A lot of what was said here.... he discussed as well!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FRUSTRATED! Running- BLAH! Rss Feed  

of 2