General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me improve bike "fitness" off season Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-05 1:44 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Help me improve bike "fitness" off season

So life long MTBer... got settled in on the couch for a few years... got off it and signed up for HIM this year... Did OK. Winged my training all year. Basically swam, biked and ran... but never more than 3 times a week for anything. Was only doing about 70 mi/wk on the bike. I've done a lot of miles and figured I didn't need to work on the bike. After looking at my HIM, I needed to swim bike and run more. So I have been working on running since August(my weakest sport)... only rode a few times for fun not for training. HM in Dec then it is time to get back on the bike.

So I don't have a power meter, I just got a trainer, and I'm ready to put it to work. After Dec HM I will run for maintenance and work on bike. I followed advice here and started running 6 times a week. Ran easy, ran more. Helped a lot. As much as I like to think I'm a cyclist, I really do not know how to increase my bike fittness. Volume vs. intensity, miles/hrs per week, rest days or every day??? I do know of Jorge's plan and can follow it, but I don't know what I'm supposed to be "shooting" for.

Right now my short range goal is to do a Century ride in June and I have a goal of 5 hours, then my HIM again in Aug.

2011-11-05 5:52 PM
in reply to: #3834835

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Help me improve bike "fitness" off season
powerman - 2011-11-05 1:44 PM

So life long MTBer... got settled in on the couch for a few years... got off it and signed up for HIM this year... Did OK. Winged my training all year. Basically swam, biked and ran... but never more than 3 times a week for anything. Was only doing about 70 mi/wk on the bike. I've done a lot of miles and figured I didn't need to work on the bike. After looking at my HIM, I needed to swim bike and run more. So I have been working on running since August(my weakest sport)... only rode a few times for fun not for training. HM in Dec then it is time to get back on the bike.

So I don't have a power meter, I just got a trainer, and I'm ready to put it to work. After Dec HM I will run for maintenance and work on bike. I followed advice here and started running 6 times a week. Ran easy, ran more. Helped a lot. As much as I like to think I'm a cyclist, I really do not know how to increase my bike fittness. Volume vs. intensity, miles/hrs per week, rest days or every day??? I do know of Jorge's plan and can follow it, but I don't know what I'm supposed to be "shooting" for.

Right now my short range goal is to do a Century ride in June and I have a goal of 5 hours, then my HIM again in Aug.

My cycling program was designed with the goal to improves athletes' ability to do more work over time. Specifically, to improve your ability to do more work for roughly 1 hr; this refers to critical power or the work you can sustain at a given heart rate. If you manage to improve this, then you will achieve a series of adaptations that will help you go faster, longer or both. Of course the program will only take you so far and you will have to adjust or later do specific work related to your main racing event

The volume vs intensity argument IMO doesn't apply to most AGers were the biggest limitation is time availability for training and consistency. For that reason, in general, most will benefit from the ride lots mantra; ride easy/long/hard/easy and anything in between. The program has both: an element of intensity focusing different adaptations and volume on the form longish/steady rides. Still, since time is the main limiter for most, the plan focuses more on intensity. You can add volume depending on your goals, time availability, etc.

I hope that helps.

2011-11-05 6:24 PM
in reply to: #3834835

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Help me improve bike "fitness" off season

It helps a ton Jorge. Thanks. That was kind of what I was after. I found your 4.0 and started reading.... but specifically what the point of focused training was, and you answered that.

Most advice here is run easy so you can run more. That will take you pretty far and if you want to go further then you have to do more focused stuff. So that was my thinking with biking now, but with cycling there is not the same stress as running and increasing intensity can be handled... 

So ya, 3 times a week is certainly reasonable on a trainer. I'll have to get my but back in the seat and start first of the year. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me improve bike "fitness" off season Rss Feed