Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Sexual abuse charges Rock Penn State University Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2011-11-18 6:19 AM
in reply to: #3906670

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: Sexual abuse charges Rock Penn State University
Left Brain - 2011-11-17 9:24 PM
COgirl - 2011-11-17 12:19 PM
Left Brain - 2011-11-16 8:42 PM

Confused? Really?

I doubt it.  I've read enough of both of your posts to not buy that.  I'm sure you're disappointed, and I could go with disillusioned (how the hell do you spell that?), but neither of you are confused.

Good men stood by and did nothing.  It's easy.  It's sad. It's horrible.  It's NOT confusing. You are NOT confused.

I'm not confused about that part.  I'm confused about how I feel about my school, confused about the details since nothing seems to match up, and confused about what to do with my life sized cardboard cut out of Joe Paterno in my basement.  perhaps I should burn it. 

Penn State is part of my identity and right now it's hard to be associated with it.  I'm just sick/stunned/disgusted with how this happened and CONTINUED to happen.

Then Penn State didn't hurt you one bit. In fact, I'd venture a guess that it was a big part of what made you a person who IS "sick/stunned/disgusted" over this deal.  Be rightfully proud of that.  I'd say that part of your identity is firmly where it should be.  YOU are Penn State.  The rest of us understand that.

Nice post Left Brain.

2011-11-18 6:39 AM
in reply to: #3835440

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
The news this morning about McQueery is that his claim that he told the police himself is apparently not supported by the grand jury report, or police records either on campus or off. What's the over/under on him being kicked out of PSU as well?
2011-11-18 6:46 AM
in reply to: #3906766

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
gearboy - 2011-11-18 7:39 AM

The news this morning about McQueery is that his claim that he told the police himself is apparently not supported by the grand jury report, or police records either on campus or off. What's the over/under on him being kicked out of PSU as well?

I'm very worried that somehow he's being played. Call me a conspiracy theorist here, but I can't help but believe the cover-up mechanism and good-ole boy network is manipulating McQueary. The more inconsistient he is now, the less credible a prosecution witness he becomes. Get rid of him and there's no direct witnesses as I believe the janitor who witnessed the other incident is dead or has been declared mentally incapable? Then it's simply the victim vs. Sandusky in the courtroom.
2011-11-18 7:18 AM
in reply to: #3906773

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

pitt83 - 2011-11-18 7:46 AM
gearboy - 2011-11-18 7:39 AM The news this morning about McQueery is that his claim that he told the police himself is apparently not supported by the grand jury report, or police records either on campus or off. What's the over/under on him being kicked out of PSU as well?
I'm very worried that somehow he's being played. Call me a conspiracy theorist here, but I can't help but believe the cover-up mechanism and good-ole boy network is manipulating McQueary. The more inconsistient he is now, the less credible a prosecution witness he becomes. Get rid of him and there's no direct witnesses as I believe the janitor who witnessed the other incident is dead or has been declared mentally incapable? Then it's simply the victim vs. Sandusky in the courtroom.

I'm not worried about anyone further trying to protect Sandusky. That ship sailed. But now, the circle-the-wagons mentality that led to rioting at JoePa's dismissal, that's the stuff that sticks. Now we have McQueary saying he met campus police in a very off-the-record situation. They say they knew nothing.

So we have two possible scenarios, both very easy to believe. #1 - McQueary is now sweetening his story due to public outrage. Says he did more. #2 - The campus police never made official record of this conversation, because that's what campus police often do to keep things quiet.

As much as I am inclined to believe #2, and it it makes for a good conspiracy, the lack of mention of reporting in the grand jury report leads me to think #1 is much more likely. Granted, I have been reminded that grand jury reports are never the complete set of information in a case, but you'd think if you were the guy who caught a child rape, you'd LEAD WITH THAT. To now say "oh but I did stop it and call police" - really? Why didn't you say that before?

2011-11-18 7:25 AM
in reply to: #3906821

User image

Champion
Somewhere I can be nekidd
TheClaaaw - 2011-11-18 8:18 AM

gearboy - 2011-11-18 7:39 AM The news this morning about McQueery is that his claim that he told the police himself is apparently not supported by the grand jury report, or police records either on campus or off. What's the over/under on him being kicked out of PSU as well?

I'm not worried about anyone further trying to protect Sandusky. That ship sailed. But now, the circle-the-wagons mentality that led to rioting at JoePa's dismissal, that's the stuff that sticks. Now we have McQueary saying he met campus police in a very off-the-record situation. They say they knew nothing.

So we have two possible scenarios, both very easy to believe. #1 - McQueary is now sweetening his story due to public outrage. Says he did more. #2 - The campus police never made official record of this conversation, because that's what campus police often do to keep things quiet.

As much as I am inclined to believe #2, and it it makes for a good conspiracy, the lack of mention of reporting in the grand jury report leads me to think #1 is much more likely. Granted, I have been reminded that grand jury reports are never the complete set of information in a case, but you'd think if you were the guy who caught a child rape, you'd LEAD WITH THAT. To now say "oh but I did stop it and call police" - really? Why didn't you say that before?

I'm going with scenario #1. The initial reports were that he did not stop, he closed the door to the locker room and went home and consulted his dad, then talked to Joe Paterno the next day. I think now that he is taking heat for not  doing more at the time he is saying he did to try and save face. I would like to think that if he did do more it would have been in the grand jury report.

2011-11-18 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3906829

User image

Pro
ironannekidd - 2011-11-18 8:25 AM

I'm going with scenario #1. The initial reports were that he did not stop, he closed the door to the locker room and went home and consulted his dad, then talked to Joe Paterno the next day. I think now that he is taking heat for not  doing more at the time he is saying he did to try and save face. I would like to think that if he did do more it would have been in the grand jury report.

I'm also going with scenario #1. Imagine you had seen what he reportedly saw, and then stopped it and notified the police along with your boss. When the news reports start to come out and make it look like you simply walked away, never notifying anyone beyond your boss and father, wouldn't you try to clarify the record ASAP? I would hope most people would stop the abuse at the time, and would be horrified to have any lingering impressions that they did not take vigorous action.

Also, as far as the "old boy network", don't you think McQueery has been a beneficiary of this all along? How was the system manipulating him before (except to tell him to keep his trap shut and he would get to follow in JoePa's place). And remember it is not just a single witness or victim being reported. There were numerous victims. If Sandusky DOES manage to avoid a criminal suit, he will surely be sued and lose a civil suit which has a lower burden of proof (c.f. OJ Simpson).

2011-11-18 9:09 AM
in reply to: #3907018

User image

Champion
gearboy - 2011-11-18 9:57 AM

ironannekidd - 2011-11-18 8:25 AM

I'm also going with scenario #1. Imagine you had seen what he reportedly saw, and then stopped it and notified the police along with your boss. When the news reports start to come out and make it look like you simply walked away, never notifying anyone beyond your boss and father, wouldn't you try to clarify the record ASAP? I would hope most people would stop the abuse at the time, and would be horrified to have any lingering impressions that they did not take vigorous action.

Also, as far as the "old boy network", don't you think McQueery has been a beneficiary of this all along? How was the system manipulating him before (except to tell him to keep his trap shut and he would get to follow in JoePa's place). And remember it is not just a single witness or victim being reported. There were numerous victims. If Sandusky DOES manage to avoid a criminal suit, he will surely be sued and lose a civil suit which has a lower burden of proof (c.f. OJ Simpson).

Exactly. McQueary is the biggest benefactor in the scenario if the status quo remains. By PSU taking a "Move along: Nothing to see here." approach, McQueary gets promoted through the system. Joe Pa fiercly tried dumping Tom Bradley on my alma mater this last off-season to give him a safe spot. If McQueary discredits himself and isn't valuable to the prosecution, the status quo wins.

I also think he IS the only direct witness?
2011-11-18 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3907048

User image

Pro

pitt83 - 2011-11-18 10:09 AM 

Exactly. McQueary is the biggest benefactor in the scenario if the status quo remains. By PSU taking a "Move along: Nothing to see here." approach, McQueary gets promoted through the system. Joe Pa fiercly tried dumping Tom Bradley on my alma mater this last off-season to give him a safe spot. If McQueary discredits himself and isn't valuable to the prosecution, the status quo wins. I also think he IS the only direct witness?

There are numerous victims, which is the point I was trying to toss in. So even if his testimony doesn't help, it won't hurt, and it won't be simply one kid saying "this is what happened to me", but a string of kids. How many kids do you think it would take sitting in succession in the witness box with similar tales of being groomed and ultimately abused to convince a jury that something happened?

2011-11-18 9:41 AM

User image

Buttercup

The New York Times article that I cited in the previous page of posts claimed that he spoke to the police in 2010, after the police contacted him due to rumors that were brought to their attention. They were already investigating Sandusky at the time. So, if the article is true, he did tell the police himself ... after the police contacted him 8 years after the fact.

He also said something like "I made sure it stopped" which can mean he stopped it or Sandusky stopped after he saw McQueary.

I was in a relationship with a manipulative dissembler, someone who took no responsibility for his actions and lack of actions. I recognize when words are used to misrepresent, provide false cover while not technically being a lie. Prevaricate. McQueary's choice of words struck me as being intentionally misleading - while his words were not inaccurate, they give a false appearance, if the NYT story is accurate.

2011-11-18 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3906829

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami

We are in the stage now where there is not as much information coming out so the rumors start to circulate.  I read in the NY time that a source with knowledge of the Grand Jury report had said that what McQueary stated in his email is in line with his Grand Jury testimony.

One thing to keep in mind is that all the information collected during the Grand Jury testimony doesn’t make it to the report.  So in reality we have to wait to see those details.

My personal opinion is that he never expected to be feeling this much Heat and that know he is trying to manipulate the situation to his favor.  Hopefully in the process he doesn’t put the trial in jeopardy, but we have to wait and see.

2011-11-18 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3906749

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
bzgl40 - 2011-11-18 5:19 AM

Nice post Left Brain.

Definitely agree.  And thanks Left Brain.

2011-11-18 12:59 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-11-18 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3907104

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2011-11-18 1:03 PM
2011-11-18 3:42 PM

Extreme Veteran
Northbridge, Massachusetts
2011-11-18 7:19 PM

Master
Oceanside, California
Ditto to many of Gearboy's comments.Changing the story does not jive.For anyone that has done any type of testimony prep, you have gone over statements, documents, and your story inside out.You simply just don't miss really important details that you recall instantly when it impacts your pr.
2011-11-24 12:04 PM

Champion
Calgary
Not sure how many people have a subscription to sports illustrated. I do, because it was 20 bucks and they were giving away a football jacket which turned out to be about 2 sizes to large. I actually find that the pictures in it are quite well done, hence, sports illustrated.......anyways.

So they got an SPECIAL REPORT on the Most Explosive Scandal In The History of College Sports. If you are still interested.

2011-12-13 7:44 AM

Champion
Jerry Sandusky has just waived his preliminary hearing. Often, this is done in seeking a plea bargain. Yet his lawyer says they're anxious to face his accusers. Weirdness abounds here.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/12/jerry_sandusky_w...
2011-12-13 7:54 AM
in reply to: #3936162

Champion
Somewhere I can be nekidd

pitt83 - 2011-12-13 8:44 AM Jerry Sandusky has just waived his preliminary hearing. Often, this is done in seeking a plea bargain. Yet his lawyer says they're anxious to face his accusers. Weirdness abounds here. http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/12/jerry_sandusky_waives_prelimin.html

I'm glad he didn't face his accusers today. Hearing his lawyer speak it sounded like he was going to put the accusers on trial, that irritates me.

2012-06-10 8:09 PM

Champion
Calgary
Heard on the news up here that the trial starts tomorrow. Is it going to be a circus?
2012-06-11 11:01 AM
in reply to: #4254426

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio

BigDH - 2012-06-10 8:09 PM Heard on the news up here that the trial starts tomorrow. Is it going to be a circus?

Absolutely a circus.  I didn't realize it was starting tomorrow.  

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Sexual abuse charges Rock Penn State University Rss Feed  

of 13