General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon - TriathlonFull Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
Overcast
Total Time = 13h 30m 28s
Overall Rank = 352/
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 30/57
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 3:45 alarm was set for 4, after a so-so nite of sleep.starting eating, banana, bagel almond butter, clif bar and perpetuan Went down to lobby where I saw a sign rooting for me and the Rocket from my family which was cool.
Saw the Rocket in lobby stretching and getting ready, got some coffee, went back and took care of biz and had a warm shower. Met the Rocket back down stairs and we hitched a ride to T1...Thanks van folks
Event warmup:

none really checked bike and bags, saw Kristen pumping her guys up, and remembered her advice to me since I was under trained to treat day as a long adventure, it made me smile and I decided to try and smile as much as possible today.
Swim
  • 1h 04m 25s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am one of the few who was disappointed with my swim time...about 200 feet out I caught a hard kick to the bridge of my nose and actually saw that circle of stars thing...I drifted way left after this and checked with Kayak-er who must have seen my distress he spotted no blood and I reset my goggles and started to swim again. I was a bit weary and stayed so far left The kayakers kept telling me to move over, I had trouble seeing and could not pick my line up consistently, after I made the turn I cut the channel nicely and saved a lot of time or this could have been worse.Stripper and a trot to T1 Telling my self your okay
What would you do differently?:

Wear clear goggles and a maybe not get kicked, cut that first bouy closer then go left side of channel
Transition 1
  • 10m 58s
Comments:

Full change,lubricate, tech tee, jersey, shorts,arm warmers, gloves

not much
Bike
  • 7h 01m 35s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.94 mile/hr
Comments:

I won't get into how cold and windy it was, but on the interstate I was like God hates me, but then I thought he hates all these other nice folks also! That made me laugh, and remembered I could only really control my attitude at this point... so I decided to have a good one.
Bike special needs I was freezing so I tried to put my extra socks on, problem was I couldn't get my hands to work, wasted a lot of time.
My nutrition and hydration were good maybe to much fluid as I had to pee a lot. I took a Guranga caffeine pill at 51 and this seemed to help as I picked up a very slow pace thought I was heading toward an 8 hour bike. Met a nice girl and we chatted and laughed as we kept passing each other after our pee stops, met another nice young lady and we rode side by side for about 10 miles when she said you go... we had picked up the pace considerably...she told me IM louisville had run out of water if your listening Thank you. Tail wind home made up a lot of time.

I am getting a new Tri-Bike for my 2012 season, I should have wore tights

Transition 2
  • 10m 1s
Comments:

I could move my ass a little quicker

race harder next time
Run
  • 5h 03m 29s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt good running, I kept telling my self all day Kenney all day, saw the Rocket heading back from his first loop and me heading out which was nice because we both were running and looking well, saw my wife and she asked when I would be back this was between 3-4 so I said an hour, when I came back she said your pace must be good right at an hour...This got me thinking which is always dangerous...I had long ago givin up on my ultimate best goal of breaking 13 and shifted more like 14, but when I did the math I thought I had an outside shot at it again, only 17 miles to go ...The bridges coming back put an end to that, and at the turnaround I ate a candy bar and went back to all day pace. I was still running decent for a long time and just shy of the 24 mile mark my 13 hour countdown timer went off...damn I slowed to a walk and thought damn I could have found 20 minutes, 2 miles shoot, I was disappointed for the second time oh well.
I had extended walks up the last two bridges till I was on the last mile and ran it in hard, my wife wanted me to finish strong and dammit I would...I ran the rest of the way, fastest mile of the day...I was The Jet flying down the chute with my arms spread like wings...The announcer pumped me up saying look at him go... flying in Kenneth Claffey from Salisbury North Carolina. There isn't a much better feeling then finishing an Ironman

I would have broke 5 I just stopped paying attention to time it could have been done easy.
Post race
Warm down:

hugs kisses and pictures

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The bike weather and a head shot in the swim.

Event comments:

special thanks to the wonderful volunteers!!!! Thanks to Kristen for her advice, and the fine folks here on BT
A big Thanks to my friend and training partner Jonny Rocket aka lvis it was a special day to both do our first ironman together.

Last updated: 2011-07-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:04:25 | 4224 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 43/57
Overall: 444/
Performance: Below average
Suit: zoot full fusion
Course: The famous B2B banks channel course
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 10:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
07:01:35 | 112 miles | 15.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 33/57
Overall: 391/
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: flat,Headwind 75, tailwind 37
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 10:01
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:03:29 | 26.2 miles | 11m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/57
Overall: 299/
Performance: Average
Course: out and back and when you see a hill or a bridge it will hurt no baby hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-11-06 8:40 AM

User image

New user
Salisbury
Subject: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon

2011-11-06 3:36 PM
in reply to: #3835471

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon
Nice schwimmy-schwim!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed