General Discussion Triathlon Talk » shoulder pain while swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-21 9:11 AM

Subject: shoulder pain while swimming
A couple of weeks ago while swimming I felt my shoulder pop and it hurt so bad I ended up having to stop for the day. It hurt (ached) for several days and so I havent been swimming since, tying to rest it. Are there any excersises for strengthening/flexabillity to loosen my shoulders and keep this from happening agian. I miss swimming and don't want to use this as anouther excuse not to go. thanks lyte

2006-02-22 3:39 AM
in reply to: #350760

User image

Regular
Singapore
Subject: RE: shoulder pain while swimming
I am experiencing shoulder pain too for the past 3 days after a Biathlon. Went to see the doctor this afternoon and he told me that I have 'Swimmer's Shoulder'. Went online to search on 'Swimmer's shoulder' and found that it may be cause by technique. To relieve the pain, I applied ice then anti-inflammation cream on affected areas and took some pain killers which the doctor prescribed. Hopefully it would go off soon. *sigh*
2006-02-22 1:21 PM

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
While I'm not sure about the "pop" concept, shoulder injuries are pretty common to swimmers, and yes, they are typically caused by poor technique. Generally, try to get your elbows up quickly in the catch, so that you're using a bent arm to push water, rather than using a straight arm at the top of the stroke.

As for exercises, the most common ones I've done have used surgical tubing. Standing upright, keep your elbows at your side and bend them 90 degrees, so that your hand is in front of you. Then, using the surgical tubing for resistance (you'll have to tie the other end to something): If you start with your right arm, rotate your forearm to the left, across your body against the resistance, keeping your right elbow at your side. You can then turn around and do the opposite exercise, rotating your right arm out to the right.

If you don't have access to surgical tubing, I've found you can do half of the exercises lying on the floor with a weight. Lie on your left side. Keeping your right elbow bent 90 degrees and by your right side, pick a weight off the floor and rotate your arm upwards towards the ceiling. Obviously you can do that with both arms.

In addition, I think just doing windmills with your arms is positive for building flexibility and some strength, obviously start slow and stop if you feel pain.

-Matt
2006-02-23 9:15 PM

I have had "pops" too . Never bad enough to side line me though. Always happens when I have not warmed up pools busy ..jumping in and go.. After you get back to the pool move your arms around, streach, warm up for a few minutes before swimming start out a bit slow then build up speed. After you have healed and are racing remember to move arms around warm up, before the swim start.

see
http://thechannelswimmers.com

and see observer reports, look at the logs and all the pain pills they take in Channel swims .
Shoulder pain mostly for a 20+ mile swim.
2006-02-24 11:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member
Sounds like Rotator Cuff strain. Best to treat it early as it can become a real b1tch to get rid of if it progresses to a tear. I've had this feeling swimming too (when I haven't warmed up properly) and I think the post about bending the arm early in the catch to relieve pressure on the shoulder is really good advice. 
2006-02-25 8:03 AM

Thanks all for your help. I'll be swimming Sunday so we'll se how it goes. Usually I do stetch before, sometimes I'v lifted too but decided that made swimming too hard. But I'm not sure I did stretch much the day it started, I think I was in a hurry to get going. So I'll concentrate on that. If its still bothering me I'll head to the dr. I just want to get back in the water! Thanks again

2006-02-26 1:38 PM
in reply to: #354280

User image

Master
brummie land
two possible things that could've happened imho. one is rotator cuff injury - plenty of ice and nsaids and rest. do kick sets if you still want pool time. or you may have a slight fracture in your shoulder. see above for treatment.

i've done both - ended up having surgery on my right shoulder so am very serious in advising total rest till it doesn't hurt.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » shoulder pain while swimming Rss Feed