General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stomach issues during long runs--help!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-22 2:07 PM

User image

Subject: Stomach issues during long runs--help!!!!
Not sure what I am doing wrong!!! Distance running is sort of new to me. I have only done it for about a year now. Seems like I have a nagging problem that comes up more often than I like it to. About six miles into a long run I get an uncontrollable urge to "use the restroom". The type of urge that makes me carry toilet paper in my fuel belt. Embarrassing to say the least What am I doing wrong? I try to wait two hours after I eat. I am not eating anything spicey or weird. I like coffee and usually have a few cups in the morning so maybe that is affecting things? I also try to "empty out" before the run, but this doesn't seem to help. After the run my stomach is a little "cranky" as well. What gives? I hope someone has some advice or a resource I could read up on this. It's driving me crazy. Not only that, but now I have to go on a public forum talking about my bathroom habits to get some help!!

chris

2006-02-22 2:28 PM
in reply to: #352239

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: Stomach issues during long runs--help!!!!
Running losens up the bowels, I have similair problems in 1/2 marathons. Your best bet is take care of business before your run. If your regular try not to run when you know 'its your time'

I'm an evening runner and I'm running 'light' by then but morning races are a crap shoot (pardon the pun)

Avoid coffee/pop before runs FOR SURE. That is just asking for it!

2006-02-22 2:30 PM

User image

over a barrier
Here is a good place to start for a resource

http://www.time-to-run.com/doctor/runnerstrots.htm
2006-02-22 6:38 PM

User image

I did have four cups of coffee this morning. I thought I gave myself sufficient time to get all that out though. I guess I am going to have to start REALLY watching the food and liquid intake. All afternoon my stomach felt just not right. Finally after I ate supper I felt suprisingly better. Nothing like greasy tacos to settle the system

chris
2006-02-23 4:00 PM

User image

Boise, ID
Bowels are controled by the autonomic nervous system. You might have heard of the sympathetic (fight flight responce) and the parasympathetic (rest and digest responce). When you run your body is suppose to kick over to the sympathetic mode which constricts your bowels to allow more blood to flow to the areas you need it most (ie: the heart, lungs and muscles). Sometimes the constriction of the bowels gives you the urge to defacate. There's really nothing wrong with you but you might want to tweak some things that your eating and drinking to see if something would help. Unfortunately in your case its probably a game of trial and error. I'd tweak water intake or even the time of day that your running if possible. I suspect that, if you could, running first thing in the morning after you try to empty would be a quick fix.
About your cranky stomach...again, once you stop running your body now stabilizes the autonomics allowing more parasympathetic activity in your GI. This could easily cause a little span of discomfort. If it gets out of hand I wouldn't hesitate speaking to a nutritionist or a chiropractor about this. Why chiropractor? They are probably the most knowlegable doc's on the body's nervous system and things that could be involved in your case.
Good luck and good health
2006-02-23 4:54 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Hi there, I'm fighting the same problem, and have found something that works for me (crossed fingers here!! It's worked two long runs in a row!) I skip my morning coffee on long run days and have a cup of chamomile tea, eat oatmeal and sometimes a banana an hour or two before I go, and instead of gels I've been mixing up a pasty mix of one to two scoops Hammer Perpetuum and one scoop Hammer HEED with just a little water in a small flask. I sip on that alternating with plain water during the run. So far so good.
I hope you find something that works, running along (jarring along) looking for the nearest gas station or tree is just not something you want to do very much of!!! Good luck and thanks for asking (and thanks to the other respondents for the good info!)

2006-02-23 4:56 PM
in reply to: #353277

User image

Champion

Ok, this is not completely true.  When you exercise, the BLOOD VESSELS that supply your bowel are constricted by the sympathetic nervous system, not the bowels themselves.  The urge to defecate is related to prostoglandin release from exercise.

I'm going to attempt to say this next part with the utmost tact and with the disclaimer that I am an MD.  You're way out of your realm in discussing this and a few other things you've posted on the board.  I realize you're trying to be helpful and that your view is naturally slanted toward your field as am I.  The holistic approach to medicine is a good one, but I'd be very careful about putting things out there that you're not formally trained in.

nicellis - 2006-02-23 4:00 PM Bowels are controled by the autonomic nervous system. You might have heard of the sympathetic (fight flight responce) and the parasympathetic (rest and digest responce). When you run your body is suppose to kick over to the sympathetic mode which constricts your bowels to allow more blood to flow to the areas you need it most (ie: the heart, lungs and muscles). Sometimes the constriction of the bowels gives you the urge to defacate. There's really nothing wrong with you but you might want to tweak some things that your eating and drinking to see if something would help. Unfortunately in your case its probably a game of trial and error. I'd tweak water intake or even the time of day that your running if possible. I suspect that, if you could, running first thing in the morning after you try to empty would be a quick fix. About your cranky stomach...again, once you stop running your body now stabilizes the autonomics allowing more parasympathetic activity in your GI. This could easily cause a little span of discomfort. If it gets out of hand I wouldn't hesitate speaking to a nutritionist or a chiropractor about this. Why chiropractor? They are probably the most knowlegable doc's on the body's nervous system and things that could be involved in your case. Good luck and good health

2006-03-03 9:19 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
I have the same problem.  I am usually ok if i empty out before my run.  I was wonder if something like pepto would help.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stomach issues during long runs--help!!!! Rss Feed