United States
51F / 11C
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 38m 3s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:30am to get some breakfast and start the day. I ate a couple of bagels, a snickers marathon bar and drank some water and some powerade. Since this was my wife's first event (and first marathon) we just tried to relax in the hotel room, hoping that the rain would ease up by start time.
Event warmup:

No warm up this time other than chatting with friends and family.
Run
  • 4h 38m 3s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

We started off a little stronger than I wanted to. Robyn felt great (a good taper?) and I had to hold her back a bit, knowing that there was A LOT of the race left. We had only one mile that was pretty fast: sub 9 - she'd been running about 11:00's here in Colorado Springs. The rest we held pretty consistenly around 10:15 until late in the race.
What would you do differently?:

There isn't much that I'd do differently. Robyn wanted to finish as her overall goal, but she was looking at 4:30 for a target time. She did it in 4:38, so that was pretty succesful I think.
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of walking. We continued moving for about an hour after the race. No ice bath this time since we were soaked and a little chilled because of the weather.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My performance? We'll, this was about my wife finishing her first marathon, not about me, so we ran about as fast as her current fitness and ability would allow her to run.

Event comments:

The organizers did a great job I thought. The race wasn't too crowded, but there were enough runners to keep you motivated and moving. For a first marathon (Robyn's), I think it was a great race. The course was marked well and even with the race day course change (due to a flood in one area) no one was turned the wrong way. The people in Ft Worth were great, lots of spectators in most areas.

When Robyn decided to run a marathon, she'd just moved up to Colorado Springs; June of 2005. She couldn't run 5 minutes without having to take a break. Her training started in Nov and it was quite a journey. I am proud of her for this undertaking. She'd never run more than 12 miles before beginning this training and now she's a marathoner! I am proud of her for committing to this and bringing it to fruition. She's ready for more and wants to continue to improve her time. Way to go, baby!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-02-02 12:00 AM
Running
04:38:03 | 26.2 miles | 10m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
We started out a bit quick in the first half and struggled a bit towards the end, but overall the second half was only 15 minutes slower than the first.
Course: This was a nice course. Mostly flat with some sections of hills that weren't too bad.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %3lbs
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-02-27 11:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lufkin (East Texas)
Subject: Cowtown Marathon

2006-02-27 12:22 PM
in reply to: #355381

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: Cowtown Marathon

Congrats to both of you for just finishing in the crappy weather we had Saturday. I woke up on Saturday to the storm and was feeling it for you guys out there.

2006-02-27 12:42 PM

User image

Master
Minnesota
Wow - great job both of you. Amazing - she couldn't run more than 5 minutes and now she finished a marathon!
2006-02-27 1:53 PM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Congrats to both of you.  You know the full course was long right, 26.45!  So, you ran 26.2 miles about 2-3 minutes faster than your finish time.   I hope they post the results soon.  I did the half, and I'd like to see 'em.
2006-02-27 3:05 PM
in reply to: #355660

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lufkin (East Texas)
Thanks to everyone.

The rain was a wild thing. The news reports all said that it would leave Tarrant County around noon...well, that's when it started raining the hardest. It actually stopped just before the race started so that was at least nice. But all in all it was better than getting sunny and 70, for us. Now that I live in Colorado, I'm not used to the heat and humidity anymore.

The course was long? I didn't know that. I ran with my Forerunner and it said 26.5 ish..and I thought that was just some problems with the GPS losing a signal or something. Funny. I remember thinking as I passed 26.2 on the Forerunner (and I was still about a half mile from the finish) that it was pretty deflating knowing I wasn't that close to the finish.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cowtown Marathon Rss Feed