General Discussion Triathlon Talk » accutane and athletic performance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-27 7:05 PM

User image

Subject: accutane and athletic performance
I tried posting this on the health forum and received no feedback. Thought that maybe more readers would see this here. We are very curious as to whether this is a freak occurance or something others have experienced. Sorry to those who think this forum is only for triathlon issues, but this momma is "tri"ing to figure out her son. Thanks

My son is a 15 year old hockey player who has been on Accutane since September. Since his dosage was maximized, his dad and I have seen a noticable difference in his ability on the ice. My son believes he is going full tilt but we see delayed reaction time, lethargy and a decrease in speed. This is a kid who plays on one of the top 15 teams at his age level in our state and has played on teams above his age level for two years. After being injured last night, he believes that the Accutane has had an adverse effect on his playing. In searching the web, I've found only two reported cases of decreased athletic performance.

Was wondering if anyone else out there has had similar results and related information? He's off the drug, recovering from a separated shoulder and looking forward to tryouts in Apri.

Thanks in advance.

2006-02-27 7:21 PM
in reply to: #356029

User image

Chicago, IL
Subject: RE: accutane and athletic performance
Hmmmmm....

I was on accutane when I was a swimmer in High School.

I didn't notice any difference in athletic performance, but I wasn't an elite high school athlete. If I remember correctly, I was still able to see significant drops in my time(s) that year. But that could be because I was still relatively new to the sport.

As you know, there are a lot of negatives with the drug - it's a very strong drug. But it totally took my acne away, and therefore changed my life for the better. Each body is different, however, so it could be that even though you've only found 2 cases, it may very well react that way for your son.

Not sure how true this is, but I would be willing to hunch that side effects are usually listed because the side effects are felt by X % of the trial group(s). So it could be that decreased athletic performance is seen in a small percentage of patients, but not in a high enough percentage to be listed.

I'd recommend having a chat with a pharmacist or the doctor. The more (qualified) opinions you can get, the better. My opinions are, of course, from my own experience and should be taken with a grain of salt as I am not a medical professional.

I don't miss the chapped lips though!
2006-02-27 8:23 PM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

Is he in the middle of a growth spurt?  I grew about four inches sophomore year and it led to some awkwardness for some time.  I played basketball and soccer in high school and didnt notice any ill effects on sports ability from accutane.  Do his knees happen to hurt (a potential sign of growth spurt)?

2006-02-27 8:28 PM

New user

I have taken two courses of accutane over my life and let me tell you -- it wrecks you, physically, emotionally, every which way possible. The only upside is that it works like a charm for at least five years after. I talked to my derm about going on it again (now 15 ish years later) and she wouldn't even consider it given my Ironman schedule. If your son is a serious athlete, perhaps consider this and the toll it is taking on his liver. I don't think there is any way he could be full on full strength accutane and NOT have athletic performance issues, it is nasty nasty stuff.

Good luck.
2006-02-27 9:21 PM

User image

Champion
I took it as a teenager while I was playing multiple sports.  Never noticed a thing.
2006-02-27 9:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Camarillo, California
Im 16 and Im on Accutane right now, and aside from the chapped lips I have NO side effects. My performance in triathlon and other sports has not been effected at all.

2006-02-27 10:30 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2018-04-02 11:40 PM
in reply to: Guest

I've been doing martial arts and other high-intesity sports and training, among also marathon training and I didn't particularly have any muscular or joint issues related to Isotretinoin, although I will site that my energy level definitely decreased and that I had an iissue with lower endurance and upon my second attempt to take the medication I experienced persistent pain in minor injuries. I'd reccommend (to myself more than anyone) more sleep and better nutrition. Keep away from useless foods like candy or simple carbs. This medication is really sucky and makes you heckin' dry
2018-04-03 7:03 AM
in reply to: tjr

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

12 year old zombie ftw

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » accutane and athletic performance Rss Feed