General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help with swim part of BT oly training plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-02 7:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Land o' the Red Man
Subject: Help with swim part of BT oly training plan
I don't come from a swim background at all; I just started last fall and along with most I'm kinda learning as I go, just praying not to drown or get drug to the bottom by a state record catfish...

The beginner Olympic plans here on BT have short swim days, where it says you do speedwork. Everything is in mins., not yardage. Do I just do 50m repeats for 24 mins for example? It says "(5x100, then 10x50)" or something like that. A "speedy" 100 is prolly a stretch right now, I've been working so much on form and going ~2:00 per, I'd drown if tried to fly through one.

Right now I can do 50's in the low 40's without pushing off too much, but I can't do them back to back, say on 1:00; my chest feels like it is just going to explode. It's more like on 2:00!! Should I do them (or whatever length) with fixed rest for awhile, until I get used to it? Or on something like :15 or :30?

Or are the speed days race pace (likely ~2:00) days, and I'm swimming my LSD days too fast? I've been doing all of my swim work at about 70-75% MHR until now, which I think correlates with about 2:00 or so.

I've also found that I absolutely cannot swim with any effort if I am the only one in the pool. If there isn't someone else there, preferably in the next lane, that looks like they know what they're doing, I find it too hard to race the clock.

2006-03-02 8:48 PM
in reply to: #359451

User image

Expert
North Carolina
Subject: RE: Help with swim part of BT oly training plan
Speed means getting your heart rate up while swimming.......by the sounds of it, your heart rate is already up so I would continue to work on your form and try to add some distance.
2006-03-02 10:26 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

Try to use some of these workouts into the minutes of the swim program:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=528

I will be publishing part I of III of a new beginner swimming plan by the same author this weekend which can be used as well for workouts.

2006-03-03 1:04 PM

User image

Master
brummie land
two ways of doing it imho. if it is say 5 x 100 then do the first 100 with say a minute break. then next with 50 secs break and so on. or just pick a shortish break where you know you won't die by the end of the 5 x 100's.

same for the 50's but don't forget that for speed work it is gonna hurt more! my coach got us to do 4 x 50's race speed (not tri race speed may i add) and it worked out that i got about a 45 second rest on each one - suffice to say when i felt like i was gonna puke after number 3 he told me it was good for me!

as for motivation there is two possible encouragements - one is trying to stick to the clock and hopefully that will help. the other is to realise that the lady from south africa who has one leg missing from a bike accident can still swim about 2 or 3 times faster than i can! now if that doesn't make you wanna go faster nothing will imho.

BUT despite all this wittering maybe look at what ron says and work more on form and endurance.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help with swim part of BT oly training plan Rss Feed