General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cramp/pain at top of leg in hip area Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-05 6:25 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Cramp/pain at top of leg in hip area
So I did a half marathon. Everything was going along great, I was on pace to smash my half marathon PR from last fall, I felt strong and the pace I was going at, which until about October was about my 5K pace, felt easy. That was until right about mile 7 when I got a cramp/pain in the center part of the front of my leg, right about where the leg attaches to the pelvis. I then struggled to keep running (I stopped to stretch, walking a couple of steps and that just hurt more) and did wind up finishing the race, though it was painful, and did set a new PR, albeit by a minute. My heart rate was relatively low at like 11 miles for what I usually wind up running at and except for the whole leg issue, felt strong and felt like I had at least 3-4 more miles in me (13.1 miles is about the longest I have ever run to give you some perspective of how great the rest of me felt).
I have never experienced pain in that area before, so I am a bit concerned if this is something I will have to worry about again. Anyone know what might have been hurting and also how do I prevent it from happening again?

2006-03-05 8:30 PM
in reply to: #361553

Elite
Laurium, MI
Subject: RE: Cramp/pain at top of leg in hip area

I used to get that pain all the time.

how did I fix it?  I got stronger.  Seriously.  After I started riding more and doing more core strength training, it went away.

The big thing that helped me was introducing yoga and pilates into my routine as all the balance positions helped to strengthen all those secondary muscles. 

2006-03-05 8:49 PM

User image

Expert
Core strength? What's that? Seriously, I know that it is a definite weakness of mine so I guess I got to pay big time for it today. I've been starting to focus more on that and due to the weather getting better and it getting darker later, I will actually be able to bike more then I have all winter (I don't own a trainer). I know that it is possible I didn't drink enough water/take in enough sodium etc., but due to how the rest of me felt, it doesn't totally make sense that that would have been the main reason. I guess I know the areas I most need to focus on before my half ironman this June, as I have the distance down for swimming and running.
2006-03-05 9:26 PM
in reply to: #361649

Elite
Laurium, MI

in my experience it would take longer then that to dehydrate you to cramping unless you started the run already super dehydrated.  Even then the cramping would be in the mucsles doing the work, so you'd feel it in your calves, hammies and quads.

Even a little bit of core training goes a long way.  I picked up an hour of yoga and an hour of pilates once a week and it helped more then I can tell you.  If you can't find or don't want to take a class, just buy one of those pilates balls and get a DVD.  Just do half an hour three times a week, right after your run and you will be golden.   

2006-03-05 9:50 PM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
This happened to me today in a marathon at mile 22. My left hip flexor muscles got so sore I had to walk for a 100 yds or so, then resume running for a bit, then walk again. I literally could not lift my left leg. I have never had it before. Why the left, not the right? No idea. Every other part of the body held up today, this is another episode of the weakest link I guess. I attribute it to lack of rigor at this distance, meaning I should have subjected my body to more longer 20+ mile runs to strenghen these areas.

Edited by us50090 2006-03-05 9:53 PM
2006-03-06 6:43 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
It sounds a lot like your hip flexor just gave out on you. And Matt is right, core strength will help a lot. Something as simple as alternating leg lifts will help it a lot. An awesome stretch for them I just learned: Push against a wall like you are going to hamstring/calf. One foot in front and one back. You should feel your hip flexor stretching. Now don't push forward to stretch it..instead, just lean forward with your hips till you feel it start to stretch. Count to 10. NOW...clinch your butt muscles as tight as you can for 5 seconds. Release and push your hips forward again to the point of feeling a slight stretch. Do this for 3 counts.

Helped my hip flexors a lot.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cramp/pain at top of leg in hip area Rss Feed