General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stress Fracture, Anyone? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-05 6:26 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: Stress Fracture, Anyone?
I'm really afraid I've got one brewing. Here's the history. I've been averaging about 13 miles a week (running). About a month ago I started feeling a little pain in my lower inside leg, where the shin attaches to the bone. Podiatrist pinpointed the pain and said to watch it. It hurts after running hills, esp. downhill. On the flat, it's fine. Prepping for and running last week's hilly race really irritated it. This week it's been pretty sore.

All of the info I have found says that it won't show up on a normal x-ray until it's healing. That ususally takes a few weeks. Also, the treatment is rest, no running. I'm going to take two weeks off from running and reassess. Then I'll go to the doc and get it looked at. Until then, it's lots of X-training and ice for me.

Oh well, I need to focus on the bike and swimming anyway. Helllloooo Bicycle!

Pattie

2006-03-05 7:24 PM
in reply to: #361555

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Stress Fracture, Anyone?
Could be just shin splints.  take sometime off, Ice, rest, do lots of calf stretching.  Usually is diagnosed on a bone scan in the shin (tibia)  Bike and swim lots. 
2006-03-05 9:26 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
I have never had one, but it sounds like you are taking the proper precautions... you have already seen a Dr. about your pain and you are willing to rest to see if it heals.

Take care! Hope it feels better soon.

2006-03-06 5:46 AM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
I had a tibial stress fracture. It is very much a pinpoint pain. It only *really* hurt while running, and it got worse as I ran further. A bone scan confirmed it, but I don't think is necessary since there's not much to do but rest.

I did pool running, easy spinning on the bike, and the thing that helped the very most was acupuncture. I did no running for about 2 weeks, then powerwalking and was back to slow running in 4 weeks. The doc had recommended 6 weeks of doing nothing, but with the acu support I felt good.

One good thing is that the area tends to heal up stronger than before, so a repeat in the same location is unlikely. AND I had to stop running on one side of humped roads so much, use an insole in my left shoe (the 'downhill' leg that was hurt), and I don't neglect the stretches anymore. Writing the alphabet in the air with your toes is a good stretch!

Hope you heal fast!

Annabanana
2006-03-06 6:24 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
I agree with annabanana, it is most often a pinpoint pain.  You can take one finger and say it hurts right there.  Pain usually decrease with no activity, but can still be there with only walking.  You should go back to the Doc now, because it may be something that needs to be non-weight bearing for a week.  Walking can aggrevate it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stress Fracture, Anyone? Rss Feed