General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Work Out - Confusion Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-19 3:55 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Swim Work Out - Confusion
I like swimming! No really I do. There is something relaxing and peaceful about swimming 44 laps in the pool (a mile in our pool). However, I have been told that just jumping in the pool and swimming a mile in 45 mintues won't make my swim leg of the race better. I need to work on form, and speed. That is when the swim work outs get intimidating.
I don't understand the lingo in training plans. 3x100, etc. and then their is the problem with the wierd length of the gym's pool. It's missing a few, I don't know yards, meters what the heck are they measured in!
Can someone point me in the direction of swimming for dummies: how to make sense of a swim work out
And how do I abandon my long swims that help me to relax (when I am not thinking about the giant great white shark that is trying to swim through the vents in the pool )?
Any tips, suggestions would be much appreciated.

2004-05-19 4:08 PM
in reply to: #25959

User image

Expert
Torrington,CT
Subject: RE: Swim Work Out - Confusion
Sarah

The only way to swim fast is to practice speed in the pool. A coach gave me this workout:
450 yards warmup
Then swim the length of the pool back and forth at a fast pace (48-52 seconds is what I do in my 25 yard pool) rest until your total time = 1:30 then do it again for a total of 5 times.
450 yards cooldown.
When you notice you pace quickening, say 40-45 seconds, then reduce your rest time for a total of 1:15
I hope this is not too confusing. I do this once a week, and consider it my speedwork for the swim.

Evelyn
2004-05-19 4:37 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Evelyn - that is a cool plan.  I think I'm going to write it down and do it!
2004-05-19 5:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kennesaw, GA
Ditto to your questions Sarah. Swimming has almost always meant who can do the biggest cannonball to me. Now training for a triathlon this swimming thing seems to be the most technical. I don’t know what a 3x100 is, and does that change if I change pools where there is a different length lane? I can splash my way from one end of the pool to another and back, but from what I am reading, it sounds like I’m all messed up with this swimming thing. I’d love to develop good technique and habits I need someone who can show me the light. Or point me in a good direction.

This Total Immersion thing sounds like the ticket. but what is it, and is it for more advanced swimmers?

Tom
2004-05-19 5:23 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
Well, Sarah, you need to remember that I've not yet competed in a triathlon -and even once I do, my goals are fairly minimalist. As in "finish and be driven home in something other than an ambulance." So, everything I say could be utterly wrong.

BUT.... as a training principle, I'm unwilling to give up workouts I love to train for a triathlon. Rather, training for a triathlon has to become something I love. So, for example, I really enjoy my step class at the gym and I don't think I could face my day without morning yoga, so I do those things. I won't do something that requires me to give those activities up.

On the other hand (how many hands do I have???), it has happened before and will happen again in the future, I'm sure, that activities I thought I wouldn't like, I really do. Years ago, I thought I wouldn't like swimming. My husband guilted me into going to the pool with him and now I love swimming. I love swimming so much that I was doing it too much and injured my shoulder and now can't do it again until at least the end of the month -but that's a different story. My standard workout at the pool was the long, slow distance -varying my stroke but basically just staying in the water until they threw me out or I ran out of time. I figured that speed just wasn't my thing. But then I tried doing some interval work -pretty much intervals for weenies, at first- and I really DID like it.

So, the upshot is this..... MY advice would be to keep your long, slow swims. They are good for you for all kinds of reasons, but they also help to train your endurance levels which are important for a triathlete. So, you're not wasting your time. But also give some interval work a shot. It might turn out that you like it. My general rule for swimming, biking, and running is to do one long, slow distance event per week. The other workouts are shorter, arguably more intense, and more speed-focused. OF course, I break my own rule all the time, but I try to keep an eye on the plan and shoot for that.

Does that help?

Andrea
2004-05-19 5:26 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
OK, I'll try to help here. From my typical swim training:
4x50 = 50 yards (1 lap, or 2 lengths in a 25 yard pool) done four times, for my warmup.
8x100 = 100 yards (2 laps, or 4 lengths) done eight times, to work on my technique and endurance.
10x25 = 25 yards (.5 lap, 1 length) done 10 times, with a 20 second rest between each 25 yards.

Pools come in a variety of sizes, although 25 yards and 25 meters seem very common around my area.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with just hopping in and swimming for 45 minutes, but if you're doing a dog paddle or breaststroke, you're probably not going to swim 500 yards in 10 minutes. Technique is the key. If I compare my swim times (for 100 yards) between proper form, and trying for speed, I am less tired and only about 15 seconds slower than if I try to power through the swim.

If you have lifeguards at your pool (some community pools don't), ask them to watch your form. The lifeguards at my pool are wonderful in offering hints and tips. My kick has improved by using a pull buoy, and I'm working on arm stroke now (length and strength are good, but I need to raise my elbows a bit, as I push water with my upper arms when I'm getting tired.)

I hope this helps some. Check into the Total Immersion swim method, and you might want to drop a line to TriSwimCoach, or perhaps he'll add some advice here? (hint, hint)

2004-05-19 5:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Florida!
what exactly is the length of your pool? most common are 25 yards, 25 meters, 50 yards, or 50 meters (50m being an olympic size pool). that distance refers to one length - going from one end of the pool to the other. by weird length, are you referring to the fact that your pool is in yards?

3x100 means doing 100 meters/yards (they're pretty close but not exact, meters are longer, and i find it irritating that in the US you find both, but for purpose of drills and such i wouldn't worry too much) three times, with a break or rest in between. in a 50 meter pool that would mean going down to the end of the pool, turning around, and coming back, then resting, three times. in a 25m or 25y pool that would mean going up and back twice, then taking a break, three times.

FYI, 1 mile is slightly more than 1600m and slightly more than 1750 yards

does this help a bit? i tried to be pretty rudimentary...
2004-05-19 5:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Florida!
and joeinco beat me to it.
2004-05-19 6:20 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN

Sarah,

Your pool is probably a 20 yrd/meter pool.  There are a few of those around here. 

2004-05-20 9:36 AM

User image

Regular
Hi All,

Thanks for the great advice! Our pool is 20m per length. I swim about 44 laps and call it a mile. My work out partner was a swimmer at one point in life so she is going to look up some drills for us.
Swimming is definately the hardest sport for me to do well. But this year I have been working on technique a bit and I have seen an improvement in my stroke.
The only problem is people tell me to work on my kick, but being a Tri-Girl, I want to save my legs for the bike and run.
How do I know how much kick to use?
2004-05-20 11:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Midcoast, Maine
Sarah,
Hat's off to you! You have acomplished the toughest part of this game, the endurance to swim that distance, 44 laps that great!
The speed will come don't give up what you like doing just maybe try to encorporate a speed workout once aweek maybe, Evelyn's workout sounds good, there are alot of them out there.
For me the distance is the hardest part, but I keep working on it. -joe

2004-05-20 11:21 PM

New user

Riverside California
WOW! I am impressed... 44 laps? OK... now I'm getting concerned with myself. I WANT to do my first triathlon but my training partner thinks that Im not yet ready. SO... I wait. My toughest challenge seems to be endurance in the water. I dont know how to build breath control. I guess that will come in time... I only do about 4 laps and feel like I wanna stop for a full breath. Is that normal? How much should I be increasing in terms of laps with every workout? I always thought I was a pretty good swimmer... I guess that was short distances... any advice?

Mari
2004-05-21 1:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Owen
I swam in college and we did lots of interval training to increase our speed.
A sample workout for a beginner
- do 3 laps at an average speed since your pool is short and get your time, call this (Y) will use this time later

-400 yards warm up or about 20 min dosn't realy matter
now do 5x(3 laps) on Y+30sec
translation, swim 3 laps 5 times. On Y+30 means your time from before plus 30 secs.
if you swim it in 2min and your Y+30 time was 230 you get 30 seconds rest.
1 lap easy

5x(3 laps) on Y+20 (so this is a little harder)
1 lap easy

3x(3 laps) on Y+15
1 lap easy

1 (3 laps) get your best time

cool down

let me know if this makes any sence

mindy

2004-05-21 8:43 AM

User image

Regular
South Carolina
I'm just glad some other people out there are like me and thought they could swim well...just to find out I need to relearn all over again! Swimming for competition and athletics is nothing like swimming for fun! But I still enjoy it.
2004-05-21 8:55 AM
in reply to: #25982

New user

Huntington, New York
joeinco - I don't want to sound like I'm talking from an ivory tower but I you're not supposed to kick when you use the pull buoy, unless you're using it somewhere other than between your legs. The pull buoy is used mainly to rest the legs so one can work on form and not worry about the rear balance and the legs sinking. :-)
2004-05-21 10:35 AM
in reply to: #26298

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
triguyNY - yes, I'm aware that you shouldn't kick with the pull buoy, and that it's best used in conjunction with hand-paddles. I, however, use it to streamline my kick. I've watched a number of people in the pool, and a lot of them flail their legs quite a bit. They let their legs drift, they overkick, etc. In fact, I have a tendency to do that. With the pull buoy, and minimal kicking (more to keep balance while breathing), I keep my legs into a more streamlined position, and kick much more efficiently. This, in turn, has helped my armstroke become more efficient, as my arms take on more of the water resistance. I should have described the process a little better in my earlier post, and of course, what works for one might not work for another. I wouldn't expect to try Lance Armstrong's bike workout and gain huge benefits immediately.

I'm still in a base-building phase. My bike and run base has improved rapidly, while my swim base is sorely lacking. The pull buoy has helped me tremendously; I actually glide more now that I've been using it, than before. Bottom line, more time in the pool will help just about everyone.

2004-05-21 10:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee
Sarah -

I am not sure where you live but I found a really great swim clinic geared towards triathlons (TriFaster) in the Chicagoland area. I took the level one and it was really helpful. They provided us with a lot of drills to improve technique and speed. I am amazed at how much it has helped me. I mix my workouts up now adding in the drills mixed with my distance swims. I think there are up to 3 levels of the swim clinic and they do a whoel tri clinic as well...
I also have been swimming in odd shaped pools...while I was still in Chicago I swam in a 25 meter pool and now I swim in a 15 meter pool...I found a conversion chart on the Internet (wish I could tell you the name of the site but I don't remember) that helped me in changing my distances from meters to yards...
2004-05-21 10:59 AM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
CJWonder, That chart you're looking for is at www.onlineconversion.com It's a good resource!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Work Out - Confusion Rss Feed