General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone taken a similar swim clinic? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-13 12:40 PM

User image

Minnesota
Subject: Anyone taken a similar swim clinic?
I wasn't sure where to post this question, but thought this would be a good place to start. I want to take a swim clinic and found one on the MN Tri Club website. It is taught by Dave Cameron this Sat. 3/18 at the Uptown YWCA and costs $65. (A full description is posted on their website.)

Have any of you taken something like this and do you think it's worth the $? I am a decent swimmer, comfortable in the water, etc., but have been thinking it can't hurt to get some great instruction and drill suggestions from a pro.

Any thoughts? Thanks...

2006-03-13 12:58 PM
in reply to: #368416

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN
Subject: RE: Anyone taken a similar swim clinic?
I have not, but I did receive an email about this one...am thinking about doing it, but not sure if the timing is right for this weekend.
2006-03-14 5:08 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
i did a great swim workshop put on by team dork rocket last season. i think it was $20. would do that one again. considering i was paying $35 an hour for private ti lessons a couple years back, $65 seems a bit high for a clinic.
2006-03-17 3:02 PM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

I'm guessing you'll get your money's worth.  Dave's a great coach and should be able to tailor his instruction to your needs.  I'm taking semi-private lessons with him now and hopefully will be able to be a more efficient swimmer in the long run. 

Tom

2006-03-17 9:32 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: I have been to this clinic

I did this clinic last year. It was good, but I'm not sure it was $65 worth of good. I suppose it was. I am a decent swimmer, so the main reason I went was to have someone really analyze my stroke. At the beginning of the clinic, they divide everyone into groups. The groups rotate between "stations" so to speak-- video tape your stroke/TI stroke drill station, dryland video analysis of stroke station, and core strenghtening with one of those bosu things.

I like getting my stroke taped and then having it analyzed. Dave did not do the stroke analysis for my group; someone else who works with him did. And the analysis is pretty short since they have to get through all of them, but still useful.

The biggest issue I had is that you can pay an additional $10 at the clinic to get a copy of your stroke video on CD, but it took MONTHS for me to get mine.

I'm glad I went, but I wouldn't spend the $ on it again. So, not a ringing endorsement, but it's useful.

2006-03-27 8:46 AM

User image

Minnesota
Thanks for the input everyone! I ended up not doing this clinic - I think I'll keep my eyes open and if something else comes up maybe I'll try that. Thanks again!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone taken a similar swim clinic? Rss Feed