Coolidge, Arizona
United States
City of Casa Grande
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 74/280
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 28/50
Pre-race routine:

Pretty Darn cold out there I must say. First cold front for Southern AZ and good greef it was cold. 45F at start time had a lot of us thinking what to wear for the bike leg. The transition area was large, but the bike rack were too low so the only way to rack the bike were by the brakes.
Swim
  • 08m 32s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

Simple to line up in your expected time. I was in the 7 min line. The pool was dirty but nice and warm, with the rain and wind there were tons of dirt in the pool. I sure felt I swam stronger than 8 mins but it is what it is. It's a serpentine loop. Stay to the right, pass on the left. My chip was tight enough and I had to stop a few times to make sure it wasn't coming off. Once again, I didn't tighten it enough at the beginning of the race so I didn't kick that hard.
What would you do differently?:

Make sure that chip is tight!!!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 and T2 time are included in the bike leg...I felt good coming out of the swim and warm enough so I just put on arm warmers. Had some difficulty getting on my trip top (Desoto loose tri top) then the run to bike mount. Transition area is an open area so I had to dodge multiple spectators - I'll discuss that later...
Bike
  • 42m 46s
  • 10.3 miles
  • 14.45 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt good on the bike. It sure was cold and there was some wind but the course was fairly flat. The roads were pretty rough though. Passed quite a few duathletes - most of them newbies rocking the ipods as they pedal their huge mountain bikes. Good for them for getting out there. Coming in towards bike dismount I had to yell at a lady that was walking in a crosswalk right in front of me. I would have hit here. Even though there was a volunteer there she obviously wasn't keeping the lane clear...
What would you do differently?:

Stronger legs will come with more miles in the saddle. Did the best I could since I began road riding Aug 6th.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Dodged a few spectators in transition and changed into run mode as fast as I could, had to again ask a nice lady to kindly get her stroller and 2 young children out of the way as they were blocking the entire run path.
Run
  • 23m 48s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt great on the run. Ended up pacing with a nice lady that is doing IMAZ in a few weeks.
Post race
Event comments:

First of all, let me say that this is a great race for new folks to the sport. It is short and fun. It's rad to see a lot of people there for their first tri or du and you can see their excitement. That being said, this race would be so much better if there was a closed transition area and USAT rules were in effect. For the newbies to go from this race to a USAT race would be difficult. Some of the easiest rules (ipod, help from others, closed transition area) were being broken left and right and it became frustrating sometimes to look like that bad guy asking people to get out of the way. All that to the side, it is a great grassroots tri. 20 years strong and I'll keep doing it for 20 years more.

Last updated: 2011-09-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:32 | 437 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/50
Overall: 0/280
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:46 | 10.3 miles | 14.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 34/50
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:48 | 03 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/50
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-11-07 10:41 AM

Regular
Tucson
Subject: Desert Grande Triathlon

2011-11-07 7:29 PM
in reply to: #3857289

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Subject: RE: Desert Grande Triathlon
Great job!!! Great point about the closed transition subject, thought I was being to critical! That was a cold run from the pool to transition!!!

Edited by todds 2011-11-07 7:32 PM
2011-11-08 8:36 AM
in reply to: #3893442

Regular
Tucson
Subject: RE: Desert Grande Triathlon

todds - 2011-11-07 5:29 PM Great job!!! Great point about the closed transition subject, thought I was being to critical! That was a cold run from the pool to transition!!!

Certainly cold!!  I should have worn my cycling jacket and gloves that I brought but I only used the arm warmers = cold bike ride.  Sun was out for my run so that was perfect.  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Desert Grande Triathlon Rss Feed