General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for multiple triathlons??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-17 8:02 AM

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
Subject: Training for multiple triathlons???
Last year, I completed my first triathlon. Training for that was relatively easy - I knew I had one race to prepare for and I focused all my energy on that one sprint triathlon.

This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons:

1. A sprint on 7/16
2. an XTerra sprint on 8/27
3. An OLYMPIC distance tri on 9/17

What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?

Thanks for any help.

2006-03-17 8:15 AM
in reply to: #372101

User image

Expert
The High Plains
Subject: RE: Training for multiple triathlons???

mscotthall - 2006-03-17 9:02 AM

Last year, I completed my first triathlon. Training for that was relatively easy - I knew I had one race to prepare for and I focused all my energy on that one sprint triathlon. This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons: 1. A sprint on 7/16 2. an XTerra sprint on 8/27 3. An OLYMPIC distance tri on 9/17 What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race? Thanks for any help.

I think it depends on where you want to focus most of your energy: the sprint, the XTerra sprint, or the oly?

If you're going to look at the first two sprints as only long workouts/bricks, then it would probably wise of you to train solely for the oly distance, knowing that the sprint distances would definitely be doable. If you're interested in racing the first two sprints and just completeing the oly, then alot of speed work plus some endurance/stamina workouts (for the oly) would be pretty beneficial. As far as tapering goes, for the sprints, why bother? Treat them as long workouts preparing you for the oly.

Really, it depends on what your goals are: do you want to be competitive in all three events, or just complete each of them?

Standard disclaimer applies. This is my opinion - take it for what it's worth. Your mileage may vary. I could be completely wrong about all of the above and probably am. Listen to your mother. Wear clean underwear, but not underneath cycling shorts; go commando.

2006-03-17 9:05 AM
in reply to: #372101

Expert
Subject: RE: Training for multiple triathlons???
Well I have 15 multi-sport races scheduled this year. I probably won't do them all but I will compete in a good number of them. Following the Joe Friel philosophy, I ranked the importance of the races. I have 2 "A" races (these being the most important to me). I will try to peak for these two races and I will do a full taper. I have a couple of others that are "B" races. Depending on how I feel, I may take a day or two off beforehand. The rest of my races are "C" races in which I will not taper at all. These are just very hard workouts. The race intensity for all of my races will be the same, it is just preparation that will vary.

If you haven't read the Training Bible by Joe Friel, then I highly recommend it. It will answer a good number of your questions.

Good luck

Mark
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for multiple triathlons??? Rss Feed