General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Traveling Long Distance to 1/2 Ironman - 1st Time Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-19 3:22 PM

Subject: Traveling Long Distance to 1/2 Ironman - 1st Time
What is the best way, cost and convenience wise, to get the gear to an out-of town race? UPS or bring on airline as checked luggage? Also, I am not too mechanically inclined, so is there a bike case whereby there is minimal taking apart the bike required? Any other tips also appreciated.

I am doing the Vineman in July in Sonoma.

Thanks.

2006-03-19 11:44 PM
in reply to: #373536

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Subject: RE: Traveling Long Distance to 1/2 Ironman - 1st Time
You will have to check how much UPS would charge you to ship your bike - there rates are always changing. You can rent hard shell bike boxes - usually around $30.00 or so. Then the airlines typically charge a fee both ways..... last time I flew with my bike it was $80.00 each way. With the hard shell bike cases you don't have to take your bike apart too much, but you might want to take it to a local LBS to insure everything is put together correctly.

Vineman rocks! Great race! I will either be doing the 1/2 again this year or the full. I grew up in that area and still have lots of family there so it makes it even more fun!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Traveling Long Distance to 1/2 Ironman - 1st Time Rss Feed