General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OK, I am humbled ...... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-19 10:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Subject: OK, I am humbled ......
Did my first bike only TT a few weeks ago. Didn't finsh last and bettered all my Tri race speeds. Thought, hey I can hang with these guys and looked up the first local circuit/road race. Found one literally minutes from home on roads I ride often. This one a 9.5 mile loop which we did 3 times with a couple of additional miles in the run up and finish. 30 plus miles.

I made it to the first puny hill and was dropped like a rock. @ one lap to go the women passed me. (started 5 minutes back ) A few km from the finish the Cat 1 guys lapped me. ( they started 5 min ahead of me) One more lap would have become real discouraging. Wishful thinking on my part to be able to hanging with this crew. At least I wasn't lapped by everyone :D

Colder than expected...still not spring here. Good layer of frost on the road in the shade, which was half the course. Great learning experience. 100 miles rides are reasonable mornings these days. A 30 mile TT in zone 4/5 isn't. Riding and pullling in a pace line is a great experience. Speed goes from 17 to 25 if you can get some help. Everyone should have their own team! That would make a road races a lot more fun! A team of 1 is a lot of work!

I need drop 50# and get some bigger stumps

Averaged right at 21mph. One of the best rides I have been able to hold in a race. Good experience but humbling. Just hope it helps my bike speed/skills this season!

2006-03-19 10:19 PM
in reply to: #373861

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Subject: RE: OK, I am humbled ......
Take it as just that, an experience.  Plus a good morning of training.  at least you had the guts to try it and finish it.  watch a TT few weeks ago and a guy got dropped on the first lap.  went a couple more laps and dropped out of the race.
2006-03-19 10:58 PM

User image

Regular
Montana
I did a TT this weekend too.  I was also humbled.  I feel your pain.  But I just keep telling myself that I know (hope)it will get better, and I learned alot.  Good luck in your next one!  And it is better to be doing something (even if slow) rather than nothing. 
2006-03-20 7:07 AM
in reply to: #373865

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
I think you guys are slightly confused ....... There is no drafting in a TT, so not sure how someone could get "dropped" after a few laps. That would be a criterium or road race.

In cycling TT's you start alone at about 1 to 2 minute intervals and it is you against the clock. Most TT's are between 20 - 40k. I've rarely seen any over 40k in the USCF amateur races.
2006-03-20 10:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
My comment on a 30 mile TT was in reference to riding the majority of a 30 mile road race alone.

If I had thought it was a TT I'd brought my tri bike
2006-03-20 11:01 AM
in reply to: #374197

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Ah, that makes a big difference!

I did a 15 mile "TT" when I got stuck behind a crash one road race. Pissed me off since I had nothing to do with the crash and was an innocent when the guy a few bikes up from me fell over going about 10 mph up a small hill. Did the old domino effect and the guy in front of me got tangled into my front rim. By the time we got untangled we were about two minutes down. I dropped him and a few other people that were involved like chopped liver and chased for an entire lap. After not getting any closer than 800 yards or so and getting tired I said screw it and pulled off at the start/finish. I wasn't losing time, but I wasn't gaining either and was getting wiped going 25 - 28 mph by myself for a 1/2 hour.

2006-03-20 11:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Ya, the funny part was I couldn't even stay with the second (read slower) ladies pace line when they came by on the last hill...too wasted by then. Cadence was still up but speed was way down by the last 10 miles.

Gives a whole new meaning of "staying with the pack".

The first hill split the my entire start into two distinct groups. I didn't know enough to realize I had to stick to with one of them or slowly die on the vine pulling by myself trying to catch up after the hill. The obvious (now) tactics are pretty interesting. Good education for the next one. My now grade school math compared to some of the math grad students out there on the road yesterday.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OK, I am humbled ...... Rss Feed