General Discussion Triathlon Talk » West metro training rides? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-21 11:29 AM

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
Subject: West metro training rides?
I live in Maple Grove and have been a bit frustrated trying to figure out routes for training rides that don't involve significant stretches of zero shoulder on the road. Does anyone have any suggestions? I sure wish they'd pave all of that Luce Line. There are a couple links into the regional park system trails near my house, but I was hoping to find someplace with a little bit less turns, bends, runners, etc. Any thoughts/ideas are appreicated.

-Matt

2006-03-22 9:35 AM
in reply to: #375443

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN
Subject: RE: West metro training rides?

Matt -

I haven't been out to ride further west of us, but I understand there are some good roads to ride on - 116 has been mentioned specifically.  However, there are minimal shoulders to ride on so there is a lot of riding on the road...and in the summer, there is plenty of boat-on-trailer traffic through there that could be down right terrifying for a cyclist!  The trails are tough with family traffic and lots of turns, but I found last year that if I get out early enough I can miss most of the recreational bikers/walkers/dogs, especially on weekdays.  I also do a little loop that runs south until the last cross to 101 before Bass Lk Rd, then I take 101 north to Rush Creek Elem, and back east to Dunkirk.  It's not long, but it's reasonably smooth, with minimal stop lights, and the shoulders are wide.  Everytime I drive somewhere I am scoping out possible routes.  I am wondering what Vicksburg to Cty Rd 47 would be like.  Vicksburg is wide open at that point, but I'm not sure what there is for shoulder on 47.  Finding better courses to ride is one of my missions for this spring!

-kris

2006-03-23 8:08 AM

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
Yes, we need to compare notes. I was out driving scoping routes this past weekend. I actually live about 2 blocks from your route - when you turn east at Rush Creek Elementary and go to Dunkirk, you'd just continue straight through that stoplight. I drove out to 116 and it does look nice, plenty wide shoulders for most any sort of traffic, the problem is that it's impossible to get out to it without riding some nasty stretch, as least as far as I could tell. 47 sucks, at least west of Vicksburg. I've also been trying to get the City of Plymouth to pave the shoulders on Vicksburg a little further south, which would really make that a viable way to go....
2006-03-30 10:06 AM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Here's a great map for all Hennepin Co. bike trails.  You may have seen it before but I thought it'd be valuable for those who haven't.

Tom 

http://www.co.hennepin.mn.us/vgn/images/portal/cit_100003616/31/32/1268716822005%20Bike%20Route%20Map.pdf

2006-04-09 4:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN
Today we rode the trails from our house out to Maple Grove Sr. and then followed Fernbrook up across 81, past the turn to Elm Creek Park Reserve.  There is no shoulder, but the road is pretty good and there isn't *a lot* of traffic.  It was Sunday, weather was nice, and I'm guessing there were more cars than usual.  Jeff rode it earlier this week and had almost no traffic once he crossed 81.  There are some nice rolling hills out there.  I think I will use this route and go out farther on it next time.  Given the challenges of getting through traffic on the trails, it might be worth it to park out at Elm Creek and then go from there.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » West metro training rides? Rss Feed