Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2006-03-23 5:15 PM
in reply to: #375942

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: gay marriage ban
Personally I do not have a problem with gay's being able to be married. I think they deserve the right to be just as unhappy as the rest of the married people.

2006-03-23 5:19 PM
in reply to: #377860

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

golfinggods - 2006-03-23 4:15 PM Personally I do not have a problem with gay's being able to be married. I think they deserve the right to be just as unhappy as the rest of the married people.

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!

And SO GLAD I DON'T resemble that.

2006-03-23 6:40 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Yes, posts were deleted.

The Guidelines for a Healthy Discussion are there for a reason.

The rule is civil discourse.

Period.

2006-03-23 6:51 PM
in reply to: #377854

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
GatorJamie - 2006-03-23 6:07 PM

coredump - 2006-03-23 4:58 PM
I must have missed what that compelling interest that justifies the suspension of equal rights to gays.  Can you point me to it?

Since the right to marry is a fundamental right under the U.S. Constitution, laws that restrict marriage must be narrowly tailored to achieve a compelling governmental interest, and there must be no less-restrictive alternative.

I'm not making this up - it's what we lawyers call "black letter law".

And core, you're not missing anything - no compelling interest has yet been advanced.

Well first Coredump I never said that there was a compelling state interest. What I said was that the government espoused what they believe is the compelling governemental interest.
As far as what it is, the typical compelling governmental interest was set out briefly by ShawnBArr on page 3 of the thread.

And GatorJamie I'm assuming when you say "no compelling state interest has been advanced yet" I'm making the assumption that what you mean is that in your opinion based upon your understanding of Equal Protection and privacy decisions the espoused compelling interest is likely to be viewed by the Supreme Court as without merit. I say this because to my knowledge there has been no specific ruling by the U.S. Supreme court regarding this issue. (Not my area of expertise, so I don't keep up. If it was consitutional criminal procedure, I'd be up to speed, so if there has been a specific ruling regarding the Constitutionality of gay marriage bans please direct me to the site, no sarcasim intended, it's real interest)

You may be right on your analysis about how the Court will view the espoused compelling state interest. Interestingly enough I read a Yale Law Review Article from 1978 that predicted this very issue. And certainly Lawrence Tribe would agree with your analysis. But of course as we all know the current court doesn't have a whole lot in common with Larry.
2006-03-23 6:54 PM
in reply to: #377942

User image

Elite
Raleigh
marmadaddy - 2006-03-23 6:40 PM

Yes, posts were deleted.

The Guidelines for a Healthy Discussion are there for a reason.

The rule is civil discourse.

Period.

Yes it was me (holding up hand), I comitted the party foul and am now banned to the corner....

If I upset someone I am sorry, especially you Renee. You are my FL homey after all.

2006-03-23 7:00 PM
in reply to: #377723

Elite
Livingston, MT
marmadaddy - 2006-03-23 12:11 PM

The purpose of marriage in modern Western society is ______.

to create a legal bond (or contract) between two people to ensure that financial gains and responsibilities of the individuals in the agreement are shared equally.

2006-03-23 7:11 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

ASA:

The Loving v. Virginia case as previously stated in  this thread.  As well as Meyer V. Nebraska.

This portion of Meyer is quite compelling (emphasis mine):

"The problem for our determination is whether the statute as construed and applied unreasonably infringes the liberty guaranteed to the plaintiff in error by the Fourteenth Amendment:

'No state ... shall deprive any person of life, liberty or property without due process of law.'

While this court has not attempted to define with exactness the liberty thus guaranteed, the term has received much consideration and some of the included things have been definitely stated. Without doubt, it denotes not merely freedom from bodily restraint but also the right of the individual to contract, to engage in any of the common occupations of life, to acquire useful knowledge, to marry, establish a home and bring up children, to worship God according to the dictates of his own conscience, and generally to enjoy those privileges long recognized at common law as essential to the orderly pursuit of happiness by free men."

The quite clearly establishes the right to marry as being granted specifically by the 14th Amendment.

2006-03-23 7:19 PM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Whew...130+ posts...doesn't this issue call for a BT poll or something?
2006-03-23 8:29 PM
in reply to: #377961

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
coredump - 2006-03-23 8:11 PM

ASA:

The Loving v. Virginia case as previously stated in  this thread.  As well as Meyer V. Nebraska.

"The problem for our determination is whether the statute as construed and applied unreasonably infringes the liberty guaranteed to the plaintiff in error by the Fourteenth Amendment:

'No state ... shall deprive any person of life, liberty or property without due process of law.'

While this court has not attempted to define with exactness the liberty thus guaranteed, the term has received much consideration and some of the included things have been definitely stated. Without doubt, it denotes not merely freedom from bodily restraint but also the right of the individual to contract, to engage in any of the common occupations of life, to acquire useful knowledge, to marry, establish a home and bring up children, to worship God according to the dictates of his own conscience, and generally to enjoy those privileges long recognized at common law as essential to the orderly pursuit of happiness by free men."

The quite clearly establishes the right to marry as being granted specifically by the 14th Amendment.

Chris I'm not sure what your purpose was in citing these cases. It's not totally clear to me which of the numerous issues of this thread you are addressing. Again what I said was the Supreme Court has not addressed specifically the issue of same sex marriages. Which it hasn't. I also acknowledged that GatorJamie's assesment of how that espoused compelling state interest may be viewed may be correct given the history of the rulings dealing with privacy issues, marital issues and equal protection issues. It doesn't change the fact that the Supreme COurt has not addressed this specific issue yet. If it had, there wouldn't be all this talk about State's enacting legislation banning same sex marriages.

While Loving will certainly be cited in the briefs of both sides it is not a case about same sex marriages. While the legal principles may be used to argue in favor of the unconstituionality of a ban on same sex marriages to say that Loving addressed the same sex marriage issue is not accurate. The case dealt with racial issues of marriage, not same sex bans. The specific holding can best be summerized as follows :"To deny this fundamental freedom {the right to marry} on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes, classifications so directly subversive of the principle of equality at the heart of the Fourteenth Amendment, is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law."

If you are saying that Loving addressed the same sex marriage ban you are wrong, flat out. If you are saying that Loving may provide the legal theory upon which a same sex marriage ban will be held unconstitutional you may be correct. It certainly must be addressed. And if the later is your point, it is an excellant one. Likewise Meyer does not address the same sex marriage ban. Also both of these case dealt with statutes that made it an actual crime to engage in the proscribed conduct, that is marriage and teaching German.

If your purpose in citing these cases is to asnwer my question from several pages ago regarding where the right of marriage is found, then the post is well taken, if not a little late.
2006-03-23 8:40 PM
in reply to: #377948

User image

Extreme Veteran
Reston, VA
ASA22 - 2006-03-23 6:51 PM

And GatorJamie I'm assuming when you say "no compelling state interest has been advanced yet" I'm making the assumption that what you mean is that in your opinion based upon your understanding of Equal Protection and privacy decisions the espoused compelling interest is likely to be viewed by the Supreme Court as without merit. I say this because to my knowledge there has been no specific ruling by the U.S. Supreme court regarding this issue.

(In my best Phil Hartman as Ed McMahon)

"You are correct, sir."

2006-03-23 8:44 PM
in reply to: #378002

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
GatorJamie - 2006-03-23 9:40 PM

ASA22 - 2006-03-23 6:51 PM

And GatorJamie I'm assuming when you say "no compelling state interest has been advanced yet" I'm making the assumption that what you mean is that in your opinion based upon your understanding of Equal Protection and privacy decisions the espoused compelling interest is likely to be viewed by the Supreme Court as without merit. I say this because to my knowledge there has been no specific ruling by the U.S. Supreme court regarding this issue.

(In my best Phil Hartman as Ed McMahon)

"You are correct, sir."

Cool, got it.

2006-03-23 9:02 PM
in reply to: #377997

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
ASA22 - 2006-03-23 7:29 PM
coredump - 2006-03-23 8:11 PM

ASA:

The Loving v. Virginia case as previously stated in this thread. As well as Meyer V. Nebraska.

Chris I'm not sure what your purpose was in citing these cases. It's not totally clear to me which of the numerous issues of this thread you are addressing. Again what I said was the Supreme Court has not addressed specifically the issue of same sex marriages. Which it hasn't.

I didn't cite them as specific cases regarding gay marriage, as none of the state supreme court rulings which have held same-sex marriage bans unconstitutional have been challenged to the US Supreme Court.  Alaska, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Vermont all have had similar statutes struck down.

I cited those cases, as they outlay the foundation that the right to marry,is among the "unalienable right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness".

That we fail to have learned from our past is a sad example.  The same arguments being promulgated today in support of banning gay marriage are the same ones put forth to deny the right of women to vote, to maintain segregation, etc.  The arguments are old, and tired.

I think those that oppose gay marriage also realize this, and thus the spector of a constitutional amendment has been raised.  The mere idea that an amendment to the constitution meant to *restrict* the rights has been proposed sickens me.  To turn such a document on it's head would be a travesty.

2006-03-23 9:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
fort collins
HOLY CRAP!!!

You can tell there is some lawyers floating around here with all the long winded, big word, Bs-en going on here. No offense meant.

Historically speaking it is the Government that tries to abuse its power and up to the people to stop them if we can cause we are the government aren't we?
2006-03-23 9:07 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

I'm not a laywer, I just play one on BT. 

-C 

2006-03-23 9:38 PM
in reply to: #378025

User image

Elite
Raleigh
coredump - 2006-03-23 9:07 PM

I'm not a laywer, I just play one on BT. 

-C 

Denney Crain Denney Crain

2006-03-24 5:28 AM
in reply to: #377636

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

possum - it is fascinating to watch the degree of specificity that you (pl) are seeking, the semantics, etc. this is not a math problem, it's my life.

Hollis, I thought long and hard before jumping into this topic. I think it's interesting to note the difference between the coming out thread of a while ago and this one. You'll find very little, if any, opposing posts in the coming out thread, but clearly many in this one.

Why is that?

Well, homophobia is tossed around as a reason. That accusation ties in with the notion that heterosexuals are afraid of losing something by having the definition of marriage changed.

Also, there is the point that gay marriage will not hurt the institution of marriage and that heterosexuals have done a much better job, through divorce and such, of doing that. Well, I do agree the the main blame for eroding the institution of marriage lies with heterosexuals.

But why does it all matter?

There is so much here to go into. It's more than I can do, for sure. And certainly more than anyone can do on an internet forum. But essential it is this, it is one more step toward the materialization and objectification of the human person.

Huh? What does that mean?

Over the past century, and clearly over the past forty years, along with the movements in areas like economics to reduce the human person to a mere product or means of production (this is true both in communism and in extreme forms of capitalism) there has been a movement to reduce sex from an integrated part of the human person to a mere instrument of that person to be used as they will.

Sometimes the instrumentalized use has good ends such as pleasure, emotional bonding and so on. But the emphasis on the instumentalization of sex, mostly by heterosexuals, leads to the reinforcement of the idea of a human person possesing a dual nature, such as mind/body. What is lost is the true nature of the human person, which is an integrated nature.

Yada, yada, yada, what does that mean?

It means that as we begin to see ourselves as merely possessing bodies that we can do what we want with, we begin to see others as merely objects. This has real world ramifications.

And it all ties together. The debate on abortion is central to this. The reluctance to see the human embryo as a person, and instead see it as a "product of conception" or , in the case of embyonic stem cell research, as property that can be bought and sold, is a result of the objectification and materialization of the human person.

I'm going to post Robert George's definintion of marriage again. It is significant, and proponents of gay marriage would do well to fully understand his argument. What is most important in his argument, and what therefore creates a class of people who the government can set aside without violating the 14th ammendment, is the notion that the "marital act" is of a different class that any other form of sexual expression.

It is the only sexual act human persons do that fully integrates who human persons are. And, importantly, sometimes the gift of a child may supervene. Any other form of sexual expression does not contain this fully integrating element. And, as well, any other form of procreation is a step away from this full integration.

It would take many more posts to go through all of this. I just want to end it on this note. I think all of us really want the same thing, an expansion of liberty for all people. My concern is that what is being called for with gay marriage is a false sense of liberty, and my concern is that it may continue the trend toward the opposite, a place of tyrany where the truth of the human person is lost.

"Here is the core of the traditional understanding: Marriage is a two-in-one-flesh communion of persons that is consummated and actualized by acts that are reproductive in type, whether or not they are reproductive in effect (or are motivated, even in part, by a desire to reproduce). The bodily union of spouses in marital acts is the biological matrix of their marriage as a multi-level relationship: that is, a relationship that unites persons at the bodily, emotional, dispositional, and spiritual levels of their being. Marriage, precisely as such a relationship , is naturally ordered to the good of procreation (and to the nurturing and education of children) as well as to the good of spousal unity, and these goods are tightly bound together. The distinctive unity of spouses is possible because human (like other mammalian) males and females, by mating, unite organically - they become a single reproductive principle. Although reproduction is a single act, in humans (and other mammals) the reproductive act is performed not by individual members of the species, but by a mated pair as an organic unit."

Edited by dontracy 2006-03-24 5:29 AM

2006-03-24 5:58 AM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
Just want to comment on the way some here have blamed heterosexuality as somehow being the demise of so many marriages. Divorce is prevalent in today's society since the divorce laws were relaxed. But the primary causes of divorce remain:
Money, Alcohol, drugs, sexual problems (attitudes), immaturity, jealousy, unobtainable expectations, family interference, and irresponsibility.
Also it should be noted that there are laws governing heterosexual marriage. Not every hetero can marry nor can just any hetero marry any other hetero.
Someone here had proposed (tic) some icons of marriage such as Brittany Spears. Well that is funny but you know there's also folks like my parents who will celebrate 58 years in August.
It ain't all Jerry Springer world out there folks.
2006-03-24 6:50 AM
in reply to: #378125

User image

Extreme Veteran
Reston, VA
gullahcracker - 2006-03-24 5:58 AM
Someone here had proposed (tic) some icons of marriage such as Brittany Spears. Well that is funny but you know there's also folks like my parents who will celebrate 58 years in August.

Context violation: that was in response to someone saying that Rosie O'Donnell was a bad spokesmodel for gay marriage. Likewise Britney is not a good role model for heterosexual stability.

Congrats to your parents. God willing, my partner and I will have the same success.

It's not all Jerry Springer on our team, either.
2006-03-24 6:54 AM
in reply to: #378149

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
GatorJamie - 2006-03-24 7:50 AM
gullahcracker - 2006-03-24 5:58 AM Someone here had proposed (tic) some icons of marriage such as Brittany Spears. Well that is funny but you know there's also folks like my parents who will celebrate 58 years in August.
Context violation: that was in response to someone saying that Rosie O'Donnell was a bad spokesmodel for gay marriage. Likewise Britney is not a good role model for heterosexual stability. Congrats to your parents. God willing, my partner and I will have the same success. It's not all Jerry Springer on our team, either.
I stand corrected. Right on sista
2006-03-24 7:50 AM

User image

Master
A Prairie Home
Hi Hollis, I heard that posting on this thread will get inspires from you.
2006-03-24 7:57 AM
in reply to: #378208

User image

Giver

Denise2003 - 2006-03-24 8:50 AM Hi Hollis, I heard that posting on this thread will get inspires from you.

Depends on your take... 

<but here's hint: don't say "sexual orientation"> 

2006-03-24 8:08 AM
in reply to: #378121

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, Il
dontracy - 2006-03-24 5:28 AM

Over the past century, and clearly over the past forty years, along with the movements in areas like economics to reduce the human person to a mere product or means of production (this is true both in communism and in extreme forms of capitalism) there has been a movement to reduce sex from an integrated part of the human person to a mere instrument of that person to be used as they will.

Sometimes the instrumentalized use has good ends such as pleasure, emotional bonding and so on. But the emphasis on the instumentalization of sex, mostly by heterosexuals, leads to the reinforcement of the idea of a human person possesing a dual nature, such as mind/body. What is lost is the true nature of the human person, which is an integrated nature.

Yada, yada, yada, what does that mean?

It means that as we begin to see ourselves as merely possessing bodies that we can do what we want with, we begin to see others as merely objects. This has real world ramifications.

What is most important in his argument, and what therefore creates a class of people who the government can set aside without violating the 14th ammendment, is the notion that the "marital act" is of a different class that any other form of sexual expression.

It is the only sexual act human persons do that fully integrates who human persons are. And, importantly, sometimes the gift of a child may supervene. Any other form of sexual expression does not contain this fully integrating element. And, as well, any other form of procreation is a step away from this full integration.

I guess my confusion about this line of thinking is the total emphasis on the sexual part of marriage. As you basically stated, people these days can have sex with basically whoever they want whenever they want without the sanctity of marriage to justify it. It's my contention that pretty much no one gets married so they can have sex or because of sex. They get married because of an emotional connection not BASED on sex, though generally (though not always) having a sexual component. People marry for companionship and support and emotional love and stability and so on and so forth. So I don't particularly understand why the kind of sexual act (and the possible results of that act) are even an issue. Your quote seems to embody even sodomy within marriage with a kind of rosy glow, which doesn't make much sense to me.

2006-03-24 8:19 AM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

Don,

I don't find in that definition of marriage anything that a non-herterosexual union couldn't fulfil and live up to as well as a heterosexual union.

What is most important in his argument, and what therefore creates a class of people who the government can set aside without violating the 14th ammendment, is the notion that the "marital act" is of a different class that any other form of sexual expression.

Replace "a class of people" with "Hollis", and "the government" with "Don Tracy".  Do you find that sentence still as palatable?  This is not a theoretical exercise, this is Don Tracy telling Hollis that she is not as capable or as worthy as he is, and does not deserve the same recognition in our society.  Is that really what you intend?

What is "the marital act"?  That's a kinda fuzzy term.  I'd like you to elaborate on what "the marital act" actually entails.

You are anti-abortion, so my assumption is that you would be pro-adoption.  If adoption and the subsequent child raising are a reproductive act by heterosexual unions why are they not also a reproductive act by non-heterosexual unions?

-Chris

2006-03-24 9:01 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
just needed to say something about straight people discussing this issue...

first, i would hope that any issue effecting other people would be of concern to everyone, just on a human level.

two, just because i am married to a man doesn't make me 'straight' - i don't see sexuality as a black and white thing (just like i don't see race that way - my grandparents were considered 'inter-racial' for their time because he was welsh-irish-english and she was an immegrant hungarian catholic). isolating people into categories this way just makes problems worse.

third, marrying my husband was one of the best things i've ever done in my life. i love being married to him. we are 'straight' but our relationship is not based on SEX. (and, gay or straight, once you have kids your relationship had better be based on more than just sex, because no one will be getting any for a while! get in bed, all you want is SLEEP! ha ha). our relationship is based on emotional and spiritual connections, and is now bound up as well in parenthood and sharing a family life together. to think that under the law, that would be a lesser relationship if we were both men or both women - that bothers me. when i think of friends who are gay or lesbian who can't, it bothers me. its the same feeling i got watchig 'hotel rwanda' when any black, regardless of nationality, was left behind while all the whites left. one of my best friends is african american, her two children are the best friends of my two children. to think that in that situation, i would be able to leave while her and her kids would have had to stay just because of their color...bothers me. it shames me as a person when someone else is denied rights that i am granted.

forth, and most important - i'm a mom. any law that could limit what my children want to do in their life bothers me. i have a very open mind about my children becoming whoever they want to become (other than going the GOP, ha ha ha, just kidding). if either or both fall in love with women, then i would want them to be able to have the same ability to wed and have the same protections under the law. so yea, i might be 'straight', but this is an issue of concern for me.
2006-03-24 9:26 AM
in reply to: #378247

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
coredump -

Replace "a class of people" with "Hollis", and "the government" with "Don Tracy". Do you find that sentence still as palatable? This is not a theoretical exercise, this is Don Tracy telling Hollis that she is not as capable or as worthy as he is, and does not deserve the same recognition in our society. Is that really what you intend?

Chris, this to to respond just to the first of your questions.

As with all of us who are citizens, I am part of the body called "The People". This body has the right to form the government. The government has the right, with restrictions, to pass laws that limit what another person may or may not do.

I put these ideas forward because I am still at a stage of deciding what to do should I be presented with a vote like a protection of marriage ammendment.

The more I look at the issue from all sides and up and down, the more I find the argument for gay marriage to be weaker than the argument against it. I figure that BT is as good a place as any (actually, better than most) to have the arguments against gay marriage challenged.

Yes, I do recognize that if I came to the decision that I ought to vote for a marriage ammendment that it would impact someone like Hollis. This is not just an abstract concept to me. I have many gay and lesbian friends, family, and neighbors. I have a reasonably good understanding of what they go through as they live their lives, raise their families and so forth.

I have no particular need to be right about something. I will turn on a dime if I discover that my notions about a particular issue are wrong.

What I'm interested in is the truth. What is the truth of a matter. I don't know any better way than philosophical language for people of various beliefs to come together in the public square and share ideas that will help discover the truth.

Edited by dontracy 2006-03-24 9:28 AM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » gay marriage ban Rss Feed  

of 8