General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need help with bike buying advice... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-24 12:08 PM

New user

Subject: Need help with bike buying advice...
My friend and I are planning on doing several sprint triathlons this summer, and we both have really cheap/old mtb that ride okay (we put slicks on already). We love training but aren't sure we will stick with tris after this year (but it would be cool if we did). So, I'm looking for some advice on if we should upgrade to road bikes this year or stick it out until next season. If we upgrade, do we go with ultra-cheap used or new, or look online, or LBS. I'm happy with shelling out the cash if I stick with biking for a while but don't want a 1,000 bike in my garage that I don't ride any more. Here are some possible choices we have looked at:

Ultra-cheap but may work:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...=ADME:B:EF:US:1

Something from bikesdirect.com or similar for a good online discount...

Some bike from LBS $600-800.

• ..or wait until next year to buy a sweet bike.

• For those who have been through this, let me know what you think.

2006-03-24 12:17 PM
    in reply to: #378650

User image

Giver
    Subject: RE: Need help with bike buying advice...
    The problem with buying online when you're new to road bikes (and even when you aren't) is you aren't sure if what you get will fit. And since fit is the single most important factor when buying a bike, it's a risky proposition.
    2006-03-24 3:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Ohio
    I did my first two sprints on my mtn bike last year, to make sure I was going to like it. And I do! This year, I bought my first road bike! I advise trying the mtn bike out for a season. Lots of people do that, and most tris have a mountain bike division. I won the mtn bike division of my first tri! Good Luck and have fun! You'll be addicted in no time
    2006-03-25 10:59 AM

User image

Veteran
    Calgary, Alberta
    Hey! I was a poverty stricken triathlete for my first 5 seasons. For the first 2 years, I rode the mtb with slicks, and then the next 3, I had an old hand-me-down road bike. I JUST got my first tri-bike (haven't raced it yet)! If I were in your spot, I'd do the first season on the mtb with slicks, see if you really like it, and then go for the sweet bike. Seems like a waste to shell out a bit of money now, to get something you don't love, especially if you aren't sure if you'll stick with it. Besides, one season on a mtb will truly make you appreciate a sweet road bike!

As for the on-line purchase, I wouldn't do it until you have really good idea of exactly what you are looking for....hope this helps!

Edited by ch2626 2006-03-25 11:01 AM
    2006-03-26 1:32 PM

User image

Elite

One more vote:

Race the MTB and scrap the idea of buying a road bike UNTIL you know you're going to stick with Tri's.  Having a road bike compared to a mtb doesn't make a HUGE difference to a first timer.  Just make sure you're comfortable on the bike and its mechanically safe.

Good luck!

2006-03-26 3:07 PM

User image

Expert
    Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
    I had fully intended to do my first season on my ancient mtn bike. Then it died. Buying a new road bike was a daunting task, esp since I had never ridden anything remotely like it. My husband wanted me to get something that I would enjoy riding, not just somethig fast.

Shop around in the next few months. See what fits you and fits your needs. Maybe your perfect bike will go on sale in the fall.

Pattie

2006-03-26 5:07 PM

New user

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'll be sticking with the mtb for this season and see how it works out. If things go well and I end up enjoynig the races, I'll start looking around for deals in the fall and next spring. I just finished my long bike ride for the week, and it went pretty well with the current gear, so I think I'll be fine this year. :-)

2006-04-14 4:04 PM

User image

Chicago, IL
    Hmmmm... i'm in the same situation, i really want a new bike because i like new toys, but this is my first season.... so i guess i'll follow everyone's advice and wait.

dang.

interestingly, i was going to try to get a cheap bike from a police auction!
    2006-04-14 4:29 PM

User image

Veteran
    I did my first year worth the tri's on a bike that i picked up at a second hand store (Team Nisiki). If you do decide to get a bike from ebay. Make sure that the local bike shops fit you first (promise to but from them later)and then ask many questions of the Ebayer. If you have a local Tri club call the director and ask if anyone has any old bikes they are willing to sell. Some times you can even pick up bikes from the classified section of the paper. The other option is that some LBS rent bikes. Rent one the week of your races. i had a friend who did this his first year.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need help with bike buying advice... Rss Feed