General Discussion Race Reports! » Connemara International Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Connemara International Half Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Connemara,
Ireland
Precipitation
Total Time = 12h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Good nights sleep, drove as far as Oughterard, bus as far as Maam Cross, registered, bus to Leannane, had to wait around for hour and half before race, pretty relaxed.
Event warmup:

Zip.
Run
  • 2h 02m
  • 13.2 miles
  • 09m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Starting out slow, stayed with crew for first mile, myself and Mary then speeded up and ran together until Mile 4. Didn't have a watch and got told at that stage it was 45 mins in, decided I felt good enough to up the pace and left Mary, ran very steady good pace, legs went dead for about half a mile around mile 7, but recovered well. Ran all the way, apart from about a minute on steepest section of hill around mile 10. Think I ran my fastest mile between mile 11 and 12(big mistake), hit the wall at mile 12 though and spent the last mile fighting with myself to keep going. Collasped over the line, legs went ot jelly, in bits!! Glad though that I gave every little bit that I had.
What would you do differently?:

Train! Longest run was just over 6 miles a month and half ago. No proper running since then apart from a few Gaa training sessions.
Take more gels, took one at mile 9 and thought it helped a lot, another 2(miles 7 and 11) I think would ahve helped a lot.
Post race
Warm down:

None

Event comments:

Tough on the organisers as Peacocks Hotel at the finish closed down 3 months ago and left them in a quandary, thought they did ok with army tents, but a tough race to organise.

Last updated: 2006-03-27 12:00 AM
Running
02:02:00 | 13.2 miles | 09m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Tough, very hilly, killer of a hill just after start, and a 2 mile hill from mile 9-11.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-03-27 3:50 AM

Subject: Connemara International Half Marathon

2006-03-27 9:20 AM
in reply to: #380092

User image

Subject: RE: Connemara International Half Marathon

Not a bad race!

2006-03-27 9:39 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Yeah I could feel myself hurting around 12 too. That crawl from 9-11 really really freaking hurt. I was doing grand till then but..man!!!

The army tents were a challenge, as was the rain. I wish there had been more bins around too, it was really hard to get rid of your trash in a good way.

and awesome race!!!

Edited by phoenixazul 2006-03-27 9:40 AM
2006-03-27 9:46 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Congratulations! Good job, especially on light training.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Connemara International Half Marathon Rss Feed