General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Xterra Challenges Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-25 1:48 PM

User image

Regular
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: Xterra Challenges
Thanks for this wonderful site!
Has anyone raced in one of these? I did the Sport in Richmond, VA last year and was thinking about moving up to the full this year. My fear is I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Can anyone tell me how much of a difference it is between the distances? My biggest fear is the 10K trail run at the end. Running is my weakest area. Any thoughts on taking the next step would help with all the jitters. Thanks to all.

http://www.xterraplanet.com/race/richmond.html#status

Scott

2004-06-04 4:26 PM
in reply to: #27147

New user

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Xterra Challenges
Hey Scott,

I am also debating on whether to do a full distance Xterra or Sprint Distance on June 19 in CO. I am signed up for the full distance in Keystone in July and I wanted to practice a tri before it (this will be my first tri experience!). The advice I have gotten so far is to go for the full! I know this is a late reply, so you may have already made a decision. If so, I would love to hear what you decided!

Trish
2005-06-07 6:38 AM

North Carolina
Andrew here. I'm the Manager of the Nissan Xterra Points Series.

So good to see you guys enjoying XTERRA.

Scott - if you enjoyed the Richmond XTERRA Sport last year - you have a good idea about the full XTERRA course too. Basically - the long course is twice the distance of the Sport race. Now this year there is a new bike course so I'm not 100% sure what the distance will be - but be assured that it's gonna be a fun course.

Is the full XTERRA too much? Only you know that answer. However I'm certain that if you are fit enough to race the Sport - you can handle the Full. Just go at your own pace. Unless you are out there to beat Conrad Stoltz - the goal is to enjoy yourself.

Looking to get get some XTERRA experince prior to the Championship races? Try one of the Nissan Xterra Points Series races. The ACE Big Canyon ORT is this weekend in Oak Hill, WV = www.aceraft.com.

Trish - there are several NXPS races in Colorado. Check out the Buffalo Creek ORT = www.youtriit.com.

Questions? Check out the www.xterrachat.com or call the Nissan Xterra Points Series hotline.

See you in Richmond!

Edited by AKMARSH 2005-06-07 6:42 AM
2005-06-08 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
No advice for you, but a question.

I'm considering the sport distance, but I honestly think I might be better off watching or volunteering this year.

How bad did you find the currents? I am a steady but slow swimmer, and I'm afraid that I will end up half a mile downstream.
2005-06-08 9:10 AM
in reply to: #170935

North Carolina
Summer 05 -

No need to worry about ending up in Norfolk. We have the best water safety crew around keeping everyone safe.

The XTERRA-Sport swim starts on Belle Isle and ends on Brown's Island a few hundred feet from the Transition. There are currents but they are manageable. In the event that they are stronger - the swim will be held in the downstream shadow of the island = much calmer. This was the case last year. Either way the swim will be safe and well marshaled.

Questions? Call the Nissan Xterra Points Series Hotline = 828.669.6753.

Hope to see you in Richmond. Please be certain to introduce yourself - I'm the Transition Manager as well.

Edited by AKMARSH 2005-06-08 9:10 AM
2005-06-08 9:34 AM

New user

Denver, CO
Thanks for the information Andrew. I ended up doing the Buffalo Creek Sport and the Keystone full Xterra last year. I had a blast! Now I'm hooked I have to miss Buffalo Creek this year for a wedding, but plan to do Keystone and Crested Butte for sure!

Summer, I don't have any advice on the currents because I've only raced in lakes or ponds. However, I am not a strong swimmer (in fact last year was the first time I'd swam freestyle since I was 8) and the swim was definitely the most intimidating thing about the race for me. But, as Andrew also mentioned, I found the support crew in the water to be great. Seeing all those people in the kayaks before the start was reassuring enough.

2005-06-13 1:25 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Hey Andrew, I hear the new bike course is great! Last I checked on the website, it still listed last years course for the sport race. Will we be riding the new trails? If so, will the course map be updated? I am loking forward to another great race on the 3rd. Thanks

Marcy
2005-06-14 9:02 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Looks like the new map is up. Am I seeing correctly that the sport race does not have the Forrest Park section. Not that I mind that. Those hills were a killer. Although, I assume that the new section has plenty of hills to make up for it.

Thanks

Edited by dodgersmom 2005-06-14 9:03 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Xterra Challenges Rss Feed