General Discussion Triathlon Talk » poor swim form Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-28 3:29 PM

User image

Subject: poor swim form
I used to be in a swim club for years and took it up again just last year. I love it and even though I thought I was still a strong swimmer I have noticed quite a few problems with my form lately and looking for good advice. I suspect my bottom half is dragging a bit. Yesterday while swimming I realized when I kick my feet they are mostly under the water. I know I am supposed to have my head straight down but I swim at a busy pool and am always freaked out about crashing head to head into someone.My head IS totally immersed but I tend to look a bit forward. Any advice?? I have a sprint tri coming up in one month and would love to improve my swim form by then.

2006-03-28 3:31 PM
in reply to: #381762

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: poor swim form
You shouldn't be looking straight down....Look about 15 feet in front on you if the pool is busy.

My feet are at the surface but underwater when kicking...

If you feel like your dragging try sticking your booty up...
2006-03-28 3:56 PM

User image

How do I "keep my butt up" (like that's ever been a problem) Would using a kickboard help???
2006-03-28 4:01 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

boneyard - 2006-03-28 4:29 PM Yesterday while swimming I realized when I kick my feet they are mostly under the water. then.

Sounds like you need to focus on body position- when you kick you should feel your heels slightly breaking the surface of the water.  If you feel like they're dragging, then they probably are.  Do you swim with a buoy?  If not try doing that, and you'll feel the difference in body position and how it should feel without the buoy.  When I want to work on my body position I work on "pressing the T"- seems to help.  Try that as well. 

2006-03-28 4:28 PM

User image

over a barrier
keeping your butt up is a weird feeling (did I just type that?). Its tough to explain - when you're doing free style just try and lift your butt up 6 inches or so...its more of a reminder- it makes you feel like you're swiming downhill.....

2006-03-28 4:30 PM

User image

I will try that. Thanks all for the advice!!!

2006-03-28 4:35 PM

Veteran
chicago
another way to work on keeping your butt up is to try to lean a bit forward on your chest. since your lungs are full of air, putting some downward pressure on it will help keep your bottom half higher.

it's a strange feeling, and I have a tendency to overdo it, to the point where my head is lower in the water than I would like, but it does help me think more about my body position (rather than just my arms, which is what I'm usually focused on)
2006-03-28 6:31 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
THink of your body as a seesaw, with the fulcrum being your lungs, since they are full of air. In order to get teh bottom half (or just yoru bottom!) up, you need to gett the top half down. Press your upper chest DOWN into teh water, and you'll feel your butt cheeks kiss the surface of the air. (Insert innuendo here).

A kickboard would be counter productive because it tends to keep yoru upper body higher in the water, which makes yoru legs sink.

You can use the pull buoy for a lap to see what it's supposed to feel like to have yoru butt up, the strive to recreate that feeling without the buoy by pressing your chest down.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » poor swim form Rss Feed