General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bikefactory/Jamba Juice Lanikai Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-29 3:16 PM

Regular
Kalaheo, Kauai
Subject: Bikefactory/Jamba Juice Lanikai Triathlon

Hey everyone! I just wanted to hear how everyone's training has been going and what you're doing to prep for this tri! It's my first one and I'm TERRIFIED.. that and my training took a huge ding this month..terrible timing!  Hope you're all doing well and training hard!!

miko

2006-03-29 4:46 PM
in reply to: #382857

User image

Expert
Alabama
Subject: RE: Bikefactory/Jamba Juice Lanikai Triathlon
don`t stress, you will have so much fun. Last year this was my first tri also and I was feeling like you, but I shouldn`t have. Everyone is super friendly and helpful and the course is fairly basic. You`ll have a blast I promise.
The roads for the bike course are in bad shape, the rain has not helped. Just becareful on the bike route, its torn up bad in places.
We need to work out how we can meet up. Anyone got any ideas?
2006-03-29 5:09 PM

Regular
Kalaheo, Kauai

hm.. fear quotient just went up seeing as how I haven't ridden a road bike in literally years...ack..oh well.. i'll just have to take it slow! (it's a good excuse anyway )

Probably meeting before the race will be hard for everyone since the guys and gals start at different times, but after should be easy right? haha...I'd say what color bathing suit I'll be wearing, but I have to purchase one still!! talk about unprepared!

2006-03-29 5:16 PM
in reply to: #382967

User image

Veteran
Charleston, SC
i've actually back off my training on the TRI stuff and have been doing more strenght training to try and put some muscle weight back on that i lost last fall when i started this whole endurence / tri training thing!  i believe that as much rowing and strenght training that you do, you won't have any problems with this event.  the first TRI i did last year, i just convinced myself that i was there to participate, not compete, with my goal just to finish.  so unless you're out to be competative, just go have fun.  Hope to see you there since none of us were able to meet at the GAR!!    Mark
2006-03-29 5:45 PM

Regular
Kalaheo, Kauai

compete? HAHA.. finishing and having fun are my goals.. but under it all i have a competative streak and I want to do well..maybe that will have to wait until the next one.. this one will be to learn about tris.. like transitions! ack...swimming w/ a ton of other people..ack...

speaking of swimming - any word on the water quality over in the Lanikai area? murky? sharky?

2006-03-29 5:49 PM
in reply to: #382987

User image

Veteran
Charleston, SC
water quality?? how about shi#ty??  as in lot's of raw sewage spills over there this past week!!

2006-03-29 7:01 PM

Regular
Kalaheo, Kauai

um.. gross.. will body glide all over my entire body provide enough of a barrier to ward off lepto and staph infections?

2006-03-30 11:07 AM
in reply to: #383027

User image

Veteran
Charleston, SC
i don't know about the body glide.........but my shot records are up to date just in case.
2006-03-30 11:26 AM

User image

Expert
Alabama
Body glide, thats funny.
I think Laniakai is okay, it was K-Bay and parts of Kailua beaches that are trashed. The water is still brown over there so not sure if it will affect the tri. I hope not, but if the rain keeps up not sure what will happen. Would they cancel? Or just let us swim in it? Me and my family went for a walk last weekend along the beach and there were people swimming, probably tourists though.
I`m not nervous at all, and today I am off to the pool for only the second time this year. Miko, you are going to do so well, just being fit and strong and having stamina will glide you through.
After the race is prolly a good idea, I`ll be the last one in so thats good for me. Last year they had about 12 massage tables set up under the building and everyone was getting one, it was free and very nice. Plus lots of yummy food from Jamba Juice with smoothies, definitly really fun.
2006-03-30 12:44 PM

Regular
Kalaheo, Kauai

mmmm... smoothies... just knowing that is waiting will keep me going for awhile! I was all set to go to the pool today to get a swim in - would be my 2nd swim this month...- and the heavens opened up letting loose a wonderful lightning and thunder display.. needless to say that sorta killed my motivation..

I did have an open water swim experience yesterday as our canoe hulied (flipped over!) so I had to swim to get our bailer (so it was like 10 ft away.. but still..OPEN WATER!).. i'm sure I swallowed some gnarly bacteria.. *gag*...

Newbie question #1 (there will be more!) - do I need to get a number belt or whatever it's called that people snap a number to?

thanks! miko

2006-03-30 4:48 PM
in reply to: #383695

User image

Veteran
Charleston, SC
i actually went to the pool and couldnt's swim cause the heavens opened here to and put forth lot's of thunder / lightning.  then i had to ride my M/C back to work in MAJOR pouring rain.....  not looking fwd to the ride home this evening!!

2006-03-30 10:11 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama
I find the race belt to be helpfull, no worrying about pins and stuff on your ****** So, either transition you just buckle it on and off you go. I don`t put mine on until the run, but others wear it on the bike also.
The thunder was outragous, my dog was terrified and I had to bring her in. She`s an outdoor dog and has been through lots of storms but this one was just to frightening for her. Whats up with the frigen rain!!!!!!!!????????
2006-04-04 11:47 AM
in reply to: #383027

User image

Veteran
Charleston, SC
mikosuave - 2006-03-29 3:01 PM

um.. gross.. will body glide all over my entire body provide enough of a barrier to ward off lepto and staph infections?

bocahawaii.com says they won't make a decision before 4/6/06 on whether or not to replace the swim with a run......depends on water doodoo count.  hopefully, it will be okay.  regardless.... swim/bike/run or run/bike/run, looking fwd to seeing everyone there.  i'm planning on running the Ford Island 10K the day before, so I may need someone to give me a piggy back ride on the runs........... 

2006-04-04 2:26 PM

Regular
Kalaheo, Kauai

I'm totally torn: part of me hopes the swim portion is on so that I experience a "real" tri.. but then part of me is fully grossed out by the water and terrified of the swim portion anyway.. besides what would they do for the run portions? split up the 5k or have 2 5k segments? any ideas?

Do you guys know if there are any hills on the bike course with a sharp turn at the bottom? I'm terrified of this scenario b/c I ate it soo badly one time! something about braking in the middle of the "turn" and loose gravel...

I'm impressed you're doing the 10k the day before! I was scheduled to have a paddling race on Saturday but we decided to come over on Friday instead so we weren't rushed around on Saturday..plus we have to give the bikes we're borrowing a whirl.. haven't ridden a road bike in 10+ years!.. it should be interesting!

2006-04-04 9:30 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama
I saw that if they cancel the swim, the first run will be 3.5ks (bout 2 miles). I am praying we get to swim, thats my strongest leg of the whole thing.
The weather is supposed to clear today, but who knows what the water will do in just 4 days. I don`t like our chances, I rode down to Lanikai yesterday and the water was still brown.
The bike does have a hill, one hill only. It`s at the half way point, it is rather long and the turn at the bottom is kind of sharp, but you have plenty of time to slow down before getting there, plus lot of volunteers yelling out to slow down. Don`t stress about that, you`ll be just fine. Last year I did another tri that included the same hill and we did it in the rain and not one person came off their bike in that race so you`ll be fine.
2006-04-06 2:12 PM

Regular
Kalaheo, Kauai

Heard anything about race changes? the website hasn't changed... 

You have NO idea how much you have eased my mind about this!! Since I've wiped out so badly (w/o a helmet mind you!) I have an irrational fear of hills.. so much so that the last time I went down a very steep hill, I got off and walked it! My ego has taken a huge hit!! :P I hope we do the swim too - although the news that a guy has a flesh eating disease due to falling into the Ala Wai.. kinda has me hesitant to get in water anywhere! But I want to do a real tri.. and I DEFINITELY haven't been training to do 2 legs of running! So it would be 2.5 run, approx 12 bike ride and then 3.15 run? yikes.  Well, so long as there are smoothies, I'll be stoked.. oh and sunshine.. smoothies and sunshine and I will feel my money well spent!!

Tizzy - maybe we could devise a plan to meet before the race.. since, alas, my 2 girlfriends who signed up w/ me are doing it now!! Most likely I will be the one darting back and forth from the start line to the porta-pottie line!

2006-04-06 2:30 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama
I just drove down to Lanikai beach and it is still closed. No one in the water and the signs are still up everywhere, so I guess we`ll just have to wait and see. My plan today was supposed to be an ocean swim, but of course thats out, I may go to the pool but if we are not swimming I would rather do a bike today. Wish that Boca would make a decision soon so we could be prepared at least a couple of days in advance.
I`ll try meeting up before if you want, how about by the toilets then? Say around, ummmm, 5.45am? Last year the only toilets were the park toilets(no porta potties) and there is only 2 toilets in there, so the line kind of got long about 20min before the race. Although there is two blocks about 500meters apart and not sure if they opened the other block. But I will be at the toilets closest to the bike set up at 5.45, at the womens side. I`ll wait 5min and if no one shows then I guess no one shows.....
2006-04-06 7:20 PM
in reply to: #390129

User image

Veteran
Charleston, SC
i just called bocahawaii to see if i really had to come down to the ward center fri eve or boca on sat to pick up race packet.....or if i could just pick it up sun morning....  and they said they have "officially made the decision" to change to run-bike-run, no swim, and will update their website later today.  sorry dee........  the first run will be appox 2 miles.  i'll see you all hanging out by the porta potties!!   let's enjoy the weather.   way too bad about the guy that fell in the ala wai' last fri.  last night the news said they had already amputated one leg, about to take the other, liver and kidneys shut down......  (:
2006-04-06 9:49 PM

Regular
Kalaheo, Kauai

The Boca website has made it official now.. BOO. But I guess in light of a flesh eating disease...can't really complain.. but I definitely have not trained to run two segments.. On the bright side - the fact that I don't own a bathing suit made for more than sun bathing becomes a mute point! this really frees me up to pick my snazziest run/biking clothes!! whoo-hoo....

2006-04-07 1:24 AM

User image

Expert
Alabama
O M G !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2009-04-14 1:46 AM

Don't worry about the water. If they change the tri it will be for swim conditions not water quality. There is the occasional sewage spill (once every few years) but it is less ppm than most peoples pool. Have fun, good luck, see you next year. Missed this one.

Aloha

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bikefactory/Jamba Juice Lanikai Triathlon Rss Feed