General Discussion Triathlon Talk » encouragement please Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-29 3:26 PM

Los Angeles, California
Subject: encouragement please
So here's the deal: my first mini tri is June 11.
A couple weeks back I got great feedback from everyone about how I need to follow a plan, balance out the training, be more consistent, etc. Fastforward 2 weeks. Spent last week sick with a nasty bug that's been going around, and now going through lots of transitions (changing jobs, apartment, the whole nine *right now*).
So what I'm looking for is
A) Encouragement. As in, yes your race is 10 weeks away, but there's still time to prep, you'll be okay.
B) helpful anecdotes about other people who have been in a similar situations, juggling other stuff and getting set back by a flu, and still making it.
Mostly I know that I am freaking myself out about being underprepared - I know I have some time, but time seems to be speeding along a little too quickly here!
Thanks!

Edited by mcarla 2006-03-29 3:27 PM

2006-03-29 3:33 PM
in reply to: #382878

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Subject: RE: encouragement please

This might make you feel better. I waited until about two months before my sprint last year before I really got serious with tri training. Plus, I didn't buy a bike until then. And I survived and loved it! It was an awesome experience!
You are going to do so well. Stick with it, but don't kill yourself trying to get ready. Are you logging your progress? Here's one tip: Inspire other people through their logs, and they're bound to inspire you back. It's nice to have some accountability.

2006-03-29 3:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Covington (New Orleans), La

I think all triathletes feel either under prepared or nervous leading up to an event.   I'm guessing most of us are type A or general overachievers and want everything we do to be as close to perfect as possible.  Sometimes it's easy to lose sight of how far we've come and we forget to tryand have fun!

10 weeks is a long time to train.  You can gain a lot of confidence if you stick to your plan.  Set a training plan and stick to your key workouts.  you can do it!

Hubby and I lost our home in Katrina while in the midst of training for Ironman Florida.   We originally thought we'd just give up and lost about 4 months of training while displaced.  But we are back on the bandwagon and recommitted to finishing IMFL in November.  We even signed up for the Gulf Coast half IM in May as a practice run so to speak.  It was very hard at first to get back in the swing of things, but once you have a few weeks or a month under your belt the routine is much easier.

Remember that positive thinking can be almost as important as your training.  Believe that you can do it and stick to your training schedule.   Don't let doubts or fears creep in or they will take over.  You can do it!  Good luck.

2006-03-29 3:52 PM

Pro
Ten weeks is a frikken eternity! Just go out and have fun. That's what I did my first time, I told myself that I wouldn't kill myself the first time out, rather just get the lay of the land.

You'll find people are really nice and encouraging.
2006-03-29 3:54 PM

User image

Montana
my very first tri is in two weeks, over easter weekend, and so I feel your pain, so to speak. FWIW, I have stuck w/ my training plan and have continued to see improvements and now that I am two weeks out, I KNOW I can finish. I will continue to fight my demons that tell me doing well=well in comparison to others...it's important for me to remember that the goal for this first one is to FINISH! I can worry about everyone else and how they do later.

From my limited experience, I can tell you that whatever physical gains I have made or weight I have lost have been COMPLETELY over-shadowed by the improvements I have made in my mental game. I now believe I can do this, and that is the biggest part of the battle. You chose a mini-tri, which a completely attainable goal with 10 weeks left if you stick to your training plan, eat right and remain determined. You can totally do this.

Remember, those who turn back never reach the summit.
2006-03-29 4:24 PM

User image

Master
brummie land
too tired to write much but head up girl. you've got plenty of time, and don't feel guilty about not sticking to the plan when so much other stuff is going on.

maybe just go for a couple of swims or something to keep things ticking over.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2006-03-29 4:24 PM

User image

Elite
South Florida
You can do it! I only had about 12 weeks total to train for my sprint last summer. I had a baby in March and had to wait until May to get the OK from my doctor to start exercising - the tri was in July. I did the best I could with the time I had and I had so much fun!
2006-03-29 4:33 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
10 weeks? No problem.

My Tri 101 and Tri 202 training programs are both 10 weeks long.

For my Tri 101, we have people who bought bikes the first week, and did a practice tri last weekend (8 weeks into the program) and they did great (everyone was ahead of me, I came in dead last and I did tri's last year).

You have enough time to train and prep for a sprint tri 10 weeks from now.

Just make sure that you get with the program though and don't let any of your scheduled sessions slide.

Best of luck! You can do it!
2006-03-29 4:37 PM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
10 weeks is enough - just stick with it and then go have a great race!
2006-03-30 11:19 AM

Los Angeles, California
Thank you so much for the encouragement. I was psyching myself out. I completely agree with one of the previous posts regarding one of your greatest challenges, more so than physical is the mental. Thanks again everyone, it really helped!
2006-03-30 11:40 AM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

My wife gave birth to twins three weeks before my first tri, rendering that week or so useless and I lost 8 pounds due to the flu the Monday of the week before.  I was still able to finish and was actually a bit too cautious in my estimate.  Rock on, you have plenty of time.

2006-03-30 11:50 AM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
Before my first tri earlier this year, I got altitude sickness in Colorodo, then had a debililitating migraine attack. My migraines are really bad for one day, but for up to a month afterwards they cause a light headache and nausea when I exert myself. So two weeks before my first tri I had not trained for the two previous weeks. I woke up one day feeling like doodie, turned to my wife and said "f*** this! I'm at least going to finsih this darn thing!" I trained hard for two weeks despite headaches, met all of my race goals, finished my first tri, and I loved it! GO GO GO GO! You can do it! Kick Butt!

Edited by Bluejack 2006-03-30 11:52 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » encouragement please Rss Feed