General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for an Ironman in 23 weeks? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-29 9:37 PM

Subject: Training for an Ironman in 23 weeks?
Hi guys:

I'm a first time Ironman competitor but two time marathon runner. And I was wondering if 23 weeks would be sufficient to prepare for the ironman? I'm thinking of registering for the Wisconsin Collegiate Championship one on September 10th. My goal is to finish. Not to compete or do well but to finish under 13-15 hours.

Thanks,
Jess

2006-03-29 11:54 PM
in reply to: #383108

User image

Elite
San Diego
Subject: RE: Training for an Ironman in 23 weeks?

Yes,

Most training plans are about 24 weeks. You can do it

Tom

2006-03-29 11:54 PM

User image

Elite
San Diego

Yes,

Most training plans are about 24 weeks. You can do it

Tom

2006-03-30 12:07 AM

thanks for the encouragement Madcow. I really appreciate it. I guess the reason why I'm doing this ironman has a lot with setting goals for myself and finishing them. I'm in medschool, right now as a first year and well the timing couldn't be any more perfect for me. This summer will be the last one I'll ever have so I want to do an Ironman while I can.

I've been reading the training program listed on this website for the ironman training and thinks its great. Just gotta get to the pool.

any general advice anyone has for a newbie? like pitfalls or mistakes to avoid?
2006-03-30 9:35 PM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
tips? As a non-ironman, my advice is to train your mental toughness just as much as your endurance. For instance, the swimming set

2 rounds{200@3min, 4x50@40sec, 400im drill/swim, 2x100@1:20, 6x25@60 drill/underwater, 1x200@2:35, 100im}

for me isn't that physically exhausting, but the switching around just makes you feel crappy. By the end you are thinking you might not be able to finish it, though the pace times are completely doable. By doing sets like that you become stronger mentally. Good luck
2006-03-31 11:38 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

freakingzooming - 2006-03-29 10:37 PM Hi guys: I'm a first time Ironman competitor but two time marathon runner. And I was wondering if 23 weeks would be sufficient to prepare for the ironman? I'm thinking of registering for the Wisconsin Collegiate Championship one on September 10th. My goal is to finish. Not to compete or do well but to finish under 13-15 hours. Thanks, Jess

Have you done tri's before?  Do you already have a base for cycling and swimming?

2006-03-31 2:22 PM

I'm really new to the triathlon scene. Always been wanting to do one. But never have had the time to. I do bike occassionally and running well has been my hobby.

I was wondering about swimming- my form for the freestyle is completely off. I can't get the breathing right. Would it be possible to do the ironman swimming component with the breast stroke? I can do the breast stroke- with ease, at RPE 4-5 for about 30 minutes straight right now. Do people do the freestyle to minimize the use of legs or is it more for speed? My goal is to finish the whole thing.
2006-03-31 2:35 PM
in reply to: #384947

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

freakingzooming - 2006-03-31 3:22 PM I'm really new to the triathlon scene. Always been wanting to do one. But never have had the time to. I do bike occassionally and running well has been my hobby. I was wondering about swimming- my form for the freestyle is completely off. I can't get the breathing right. Would it be possible to do the ironman swimming component with the breast stroke? I can do the breast stroke- with ease, at RPE 4-5 for about 30 minutes straight right now. Do people do the freestyle to minimize the use of legs or is it more for speed? My goal is to finish the whole thing.

If you're new to the sport I would start with a sprint or olympic and see how you like it.   I would use those shorter races to build a base and learn more about the sport fbefore doing an IM.   An IM will be there for you down the road.  It's a very long distance to do for your first tri ever.  There's so much to learn, and not only about building endurance safely, but also the mental aspect of it, and strategy.  It takes time to figure out a nutrition and hydration plan, which is extrememly important in a long distance race like an IM.  Although you have a running background, you have to be able to put the 3 events together and have the endurance for all 3 of them. 

Do you have a bike?  That's something to think about.

To answer your swim question, I have seen people breast stroke in sprints, but it's not ideal.  You can swim much faster freestyle.  And in free style you use your legs less to kick which would be benefiical in saving them for the bike and run.  Breast stroke requires more kicking which might hurt you on the bike if you use them up in the swim.  Also, IM races have cut off times.  I'm not sure how fast you can breast stroke, but you'd have to make sure you could make the swim cut off.

Not to deter you form doing an IM, but there's so much invovled I would stick to trying out a shorter distance first.  Good luck with your decision!

Edited by runnergirl29 2006-03-31 2:36 PM
2006-03-31 6:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Med school past 1st year doesn't equal the end of training life. As a matter of fact, end of 2nd year step 1 prep time is premium IM training time because you need to do something other than study 24/7. Depending on when your school starts 3rd year clinical rotations, there can be an arguement made for IM CDA, IM LP, IM Canuckland, or IM Moo. If you do an easy first block that will allow you time off, it can work perfectly with the need to taper. Otherwise, you can plan your race prior to starting clinicals.

Physically, you can probably force yourself through the race. Will it be a very good experience? Maybe not. You would probably be better served by learning how to swim and then doing some sprint and olympic distance races. Maybe a late summer HIM.
2006-04-01 12:16 AM

thanks for all the replies and advice. I'm not going to officially enter my application for the Ironman for I guess a couple more weeks. I've been following the training plan so far and everything in my body feels alright. The running and biking seems to be coming better for me so far. As expected, the swimming is going to take a lot of work. I'm going to give myself a couple more weeks of training and see how I hold up.

about my third year- we don't have the official schedule out but I think it's traditionally just a couple weeks off before we start rotations? I've heard from friends that 3rd year is rough and I could totally see that with the brutual hospital pimping and medstudent hazing. I can't really see myself doing this training during 3rd year or any other time.

2006-04-01 2:50 AM

Belgium
F.Z. you should have no problem doing one.

I did IM Germany last year, and i had never run longer than 30 KM!
I done before a half iron distance in 5hr 14min.

I had a very simple goal and training method.

My goal was also to finish one.
If you can swim 1hrs 15 min, bike 150KM, Run 30KM if you can do that without any problems
than you can allready compete in one.

My personal test before Germany was a 1hrs20 min nonstop swim, a 175 KM bike ride, and a 29km run.

The only problem was i never did such a long runs, and 5 weeks before race day i started to have pain after 1 hour running!!!!!!
So i did more biking & swimming. And my running i changed to shorter distances(10k) but more frequent.
In Germany the marathon was in 3 loops, my first loop was in 1hr 11 min, than i started to have pain(injury) and in the third loop i had to walk (Something i never do).
Two months after germany i still had pain when running. Went to several doctors and i had a
Stress Fracture in my Right hip(femurhead).

Do not forget to eat!!!eaven if you do not feel like it, you have to eat & drink.
During the marthon you wil be able to eat SALTED cookies (TUC) do eat them to.
After a whole day of powerbars & Power gels those salted cookies clean up your mouth and it is a different taste & replaces the salt that you lost. Than you can start all over again with Powers gels

2006-04-02 9:11 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Jess,

Not to be discouraging, and I'm sure I'll face a lot of backlash for saying this, but I don't think an Ironman in 23 weeks is a good idea for you. Yes, you can train for an Ironman in 23 weeks, but 23 weeks is a long time to try to stay on track without getting injured or overtrained.

You're situation sounds like mine. I come from a marathoning background, and thought the Ironman would be a piece of cake, but then again I also had a base in the other sports as well before I started my program. Despite that, I have been in a constant state of injury during my IMAZ training. I'm sure I'll finish, but I'll need a lot of time off after the event. Meanwhile there are lots of marathons and shorter races just passing me by.

If you have been a single-sport athlete, it's risky to try to push the limits in all three sports. As a runner you've been moving in the same way for a long time, albeit probably very well. My point is that you will need to recruit a lot of muscles for the other sports that may be atrophied, and also get used to a high frequency of workouts, and it doesn't sound like you have done that. It's not a big deal to go through the recruitment process before jumping into the program, but with 23 weeks to go you don't have time for that. I'm willing to bet you'll have at least one major injury during training, especially if you use BT's Ironman training program. Muscle weakness and imbalance may not affect you at short distances, but over long distances they can lead to problems.

In order to avoid injury, you need to start a weight training program to do in parallel with cardiovascular training. Things like hips and rotator cuffs can be effectively strengthened this way, so your form doesn't fall apart in long workouts. However, it's a big time commitment.

Another issue is the expense of an Ironman. If you've never done a triathlon, you need to buy a lot of stuff. I've spent over $4,000.00 on IMAZ alone, even though I already had a lot of equipment. You need to be prepared for that.

Maybe I'm biased in my point of view because I have done endurance events before, but 6 months of training, $4,000.00, and another few months of injury recovery is a lot to invest in a single event that you simply intend to finish.

I think a half-ironman, however, is within everyone's ability, and it can be a big confidence booster (because you don't have to reach the point of hitting the wall in every sport). I think that would be a better option for you.

-dave

Edited by skavoovie 2006-04-02 9:21 PM
2006-04-02 9:17 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Regarding the breaststroke, if you try to do that for the entire swim you will be in trouble. Runnergirl described the reasons pretty well. You don't want to work harder than necessary in the swim, because there's still about 90% of the race to go.

If you can't get smooth freestyle form in the beginning, it will cause major biomechanical problems (and possibly major injury) down the line.
2006-04-02 10:54 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago

I met a guy 2 months before IMWI 05 on a group bike ride that never did a triathlon before in his life but had a marathon background.

He had NO idea about nutrition and ate trail mix during the race (seriously).  He never trained on hills (IMWI is hilly) and only trained for 3 months...

He kicked my *** be almost 45 minutes!!

So yes, you can do it but like has been mentioned already two things depend on your performance:

1.  Your past endurance experiences (endurnace takes years to build up)

2.  Getting to the starting line injury free.  (the most difficult thing for beginner IM athletes to do is to get to the starting line w/o any injury setbacks)

Good luck in whatever your decision is, but my opinion is 17 hours is a HELL of a long time to complete 140.6 miles and if you don't get injured over the next 23 weeks, you'll make it.

2006-04-02 11:55 PM

hey- thanks again for all the advice. skavoovie, steve, and others. I'm definitely listening and incorporating everyone's input.

the money, 4000 dollars is a lot, as a student- I don't have much but to me, spending that much to accomplish something I have dreamt about for a long time sorta makes sense.

I've officially completed the first week of the training program and things have been really good. After running for 90 minutes yesterday and swimming for an hour then biking for 45 minutes, I feel loose and with no soreness really right now. I'm going to continue to double check everything and proceed slowly. my biggest problem right now is the swimming. I just can't get the breathing right.

about the weight training, I don't mean to say I'm hard core or anything like that but I was combining cardio and weight training prior to the training. I totally understand the importance of not getting injured, especially right now or later in the program. I'll keep everyone updated on my progress. Thanks again for all your input and help.

Just one question- a bike. My friend who was a nurse who completed the ironman at lake placid, told me she got hers for about 1000. Does anyone have any personal recommendations for a relatively inexpensive but adequate bike, I could buy?

Edited by freakingzooming 2006-04-02 11:56 PM
2006-04-03 11:40 AM
in reply to: #386372

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

freakingzooming - 2006-04-03 12:55 AM Just one question- a bike. My friend who was a nurse who completed the ironman at lake placid, told me she got hers for about 1000. Does anyone have any personal recommendations for a relatively inexpensive but adequate bike, I could buy?

If you're going to do an IM, you need to go for comfort.  Biking for 112 miles is brutal enough, not to mention if you're not a bike that fits comfortably.  If I were you I would check out a bunch of bike shops and see which type and size frame fits you.  Buying a bike is different for everyone- what works for one person may not work for someone else.  Then if you're looking for a deal, see if you can find one of those bikes used.  Also, when buying a bike you need to consider all the accessories you'll need becuase the costs will add up fast:

Clipless pedals

Bike shoes

Aerobars (optional, but probably recommended)

Bike helmet

Bike Gloves

Bike Pump

Spare tube, CO2

bike shorts

Bike jersey

Am I missing anything??

Edited by runnergirl29 2006-04-03 11:41 AM

2006-04-04 12:03 AM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Jess,

I should qualify the $4,000 bill a little bit. I trained through the winter, so I had to buy a lot of clothing and stuff that normally wouldn't be required. Also, Ironman brand races have a $500 entry fee, and your race is probably cheaper. So, you can subtract several hundred dollars.

My biggest expense was buying a Cervelo Dual for $1600. It's a little out of your price range, but it's a very good beginner's bike and it's comfortable enough to ride the aerobars for 100 miles or so. I would recommend seeing if you can get one from a previous year, because the price will come down a bit. Other than Cervelo, you should look at Felt, because they make a good tri bike for an entry-level price. For your first bike I would also recommend buying from a local bike shop, rather than online, because you can get a custom fit that way. It will, however, make it harder to find a deal.
2006-04-04 3:43 AM

Veteran
Ames IA
Not to ruin your hopes for this year, but have you verified that you can still get in. IM Wisconsin has already completely filled except for maybe community fund slots. I know there are college entry's available (150 first come first serve) but those usually fill up quick too as everyone is trying to get in. I know the collegiate team I train with (Iowa State Univeristy Cyclones) usually sends 4 or 5 who register at the event, including last years collegiate winner and 31st overall Lars Brudvig (wish some of his skills would transfer over to me at some practices). I would hate for your to put in a lot of training this year specifically for that race only to find you can't get in.
2006-04-04 8:16 PM

hey:

thanks for the suggestion skavoovie. I will look into that model when I go home for my spring break.

About the entry. When I last talked to the lady last week, there were 49 spots open for the 150 slots. She told me they don't fill out till July. But I guess I want to enter by the end of this month. I officially have completed week one of my training. I did 90 minutes of biking and feel good. No soreness and all green lights. I am tentatively leaning towards entering. Will continue to work on my swimming form. Man I am rusty. the entry fee for the race is 430 dollars. Which I can for now spot.

Edited by freakingzooming 2006-04-04 8:17 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for an Ironman in 23 weeks? Rss Feed