General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I need pedals and shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-30 1:55 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis, MO
Subject: I need pedals and shoes

I picked up my new bike (Lemond Reno), so now I need pedals and shoes.  I haven't used clipless before, so I am very excited about this upgrade! 

I have glanced around different websites, but I am still lost as to where I should shop.

Also (I'm a bit embarassed to ask this) are the shoes pretty much universal for pedals?

2006-03-30 2:00 PM
in reply to: #383776

User image

Giver
Subject: RE: I need pedals and shoes

They are pretty much universal. There may be some shoes that don't work with some pedals, but most will at least sell an adapter to work with certain kinds that wouldn't otherwise wor.

As far as where to shop, start at your LBS because different brands of shoes fit differetnly, and sizing isn't universal. Some shoes fit narrower than others. And a particular size in one brand may be larger or smaller than that same size in another.

As far as pedals go, you're likely to have less trouble with a large platform model like Look or the current Shimano design. Smaller platform pedals like Speedplay, Eggbeaters or SPD-like pedals may give you some pain on the outside of your foot, especially if you choose a shoe witha more flexible (not carbon) sole.

katieyows - 2006-03-30 2:55 PM

I picked up my new bike (Lemond Reno), so now I need pedals and shoes.  I haven't used clipless before, so I am very excited about this upgrade! 

I have glanced around different websites, but I am still lost as to where I should shop.

Also (I'm a bit embarassed to ask this) are the shoes pretty much universal for pedals?

2006-03-30 5:04 PM

North Carolina
Go with Look pedals you will not regret the ease of use and the variety of models they have to choose from. Look works with shoes that accept a "3 bolt" pattern.

Enjoy and I suggest trying them out in an empty parking lot before you head out on the road.
2006-03-30 8:51 PM

User image

Regular
Los Angeles, CA
I have speedplay on mine, and I really like them. I wouldn't really call them small platform when you take into consideration the part you click into, it sort of becomes bigger.

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/speedplay0/pedal%20in%20cl...

Maybe they are still smaller than Look platforms, I'm not sure as I haven't used Looks (I know people really lie them, too). You can click into the speedplay on both sides, so you don't have to flip it around. The only thing I don't like about speedplay is that they can clog up with mud pretty easily. Now I know to avoid mud.

The eggbeaters on my mountain bike do have a small platform. But, they're receded, don't clog up, and are easy to walk in with my soft soled mountain bike shoes, so they're good for certain things.

I got my pedals online, but I went to my LBS to get shoes. They installed my speedplays which needed an adapter, and looked like it was something that I would have screwed up if I had tried to install them myself.
2006-03-30 9:31 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
I love my Speedplays! It's great having some float on the pedal... and they are so easy to clip in and out of!

I see other people around me with these other types of pedals and they have a horrible time trying to get clipped in. A lot of the time they are trying to flip the pedal around to the side they need to clip into.

2006-03-30 10:39 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
I would go to your local bike shop and try a few pairs of shoes on.  I found that some fit really well, while others didn't.  If you don't know what brand is good for you, i wouldn't buy them online.  The LBS was also really good in explaining the pedal types.  Good luck

2006-03-31 7:14 AM

User image

Pro
MA
Yeah, check the pedals to see what type you have.  Nashbar have some road shoes on sale, for as little as $40/pair.  Then get the cleats that fit your pedals.  They'll come with instructions on how to install them.  Or ask someone to help installing when you get them. 
LBS is also a good place to start as you can try out different ones.
2006-03-31 8:16 AM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
How exciting
I did this 2 weeks ago - new bike and first time with clipless pedals. My local bike shop helped me through the choices and put the thingies on the bike etc so I was just ready to go. Tip -He put them on quite loosely so I could get them off easily as I wasn't used to them
Went out last week for the first time and it was great (first time with aerobars too). I remembered at all stops to take my feet out - except when I arrived home - so thrilled at achieving my first bike ride on it that I forgot and managed to wrench them out as I started to tip over!
Anyway I was also worried about getting my feet to clip in as I started off each time but amazingly they just seemed to do it themselves as I started to pedal.
Good luck and have fun - second outside outing for me today.

Jackie
2006-03-31 8:47 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis, MO

Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I tried some shoes on at my LBS and they say that I wear a 38 (I am a size 7 in women's shoes). 

Now I just need to find some pedals and shoes on sale! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I need pedals and shoes Rss Feed