General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kinda bummed because of bad run last night Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-26 11:48 AM

User image

Regular
South Carolina
Subject: Kinda bummed because of bad run last night
I couldn't focus on my breathing or anything, or focus on doing the three-minutes on - one-minute off run/walk training. I ended up walking a lot more of it than I usually do. One thing I did do different is add a little distance to the course. I don't like running in my neighborhood, though. Nothing but hills, but also these creepy guys seemed to be following me in their car. And now I found out I may not get my swim in tonight due to the pool closing early.

2004-05-26 11:55 AM
in reply to: #27354

User image

Regular
South Carolina
Subject: RE: Kinda bummed because of bad run last night
Also, I guess I get bummed because I'm running thinking, "I'll NEVER be able to run miles and miles...heck, I can barely run/walk a little under two!"
2004-05-26 11:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dorset
dont be bummed we all have session where we wished we hadn't bothered! its just part of the course i think, i reckon even lance armstrong sometimes thinks 'this is going pants today!'

although the creepy guy thing is a bit worrying do u carry an attack alarm while out running? u can get these teenie weenie battery powered keyring ones but are still 120DB or so. or can u drive somewhere a bit less scary for a run, even a track maybe, or train with someone else????
2004-05-26 12:44 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Phoenix--

You are out there and doing it! Don't be discouraged! It can be frustrating to look for improvements from one day to the next. Step back and look at the big picture! Keep yesterdays run at the back corner of your mind and look at it in two weeks. See how you've improved from that point.

You're doing great, Phoenix.

Just keep that mini-skirt at the ready to show off the new legs! :-)

Dana
2004-05-26 1:28 PM
in reply to: #27358

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
PhoenixRises - 2004-05-26 11:55 AM

Also, I guess I get bummed because I'm running thinking, "I'll NEVER be able to run miles and miles...heck, I can barely run/walk a little under two!"

Phoenix...I am the QUEEEN of the "I hate running" club. My posts frequently are bitching, moaning, whining about HOW MUCH I HATE RUNNING.

I started in January not able to run 3 miles without being flat on my back for 3 days after and so sore I couldn't tie my shoes....

I finished my first 10k on May 8....it wasn't sexy, but dammit, I finished it.

The other night I had a huge breakthru mentally....(I have a huge mental block with running).

It still ain't my favorite sport but 5 months into it I AM seeing some improvement.

Hang in there. Keep getting out there. There are good days and bad days. Stay safe and have fun. All the other posts I'm reading here are right on with their advice. Look at where you were to where you are now and look at how far you can go!

This is a post from my blog when I started breaking that "mental barrier" http://triby35.typepad.com/triby35/2004/05/519_have_i_foun.html

Edited by crpadiem 2004-05-26 1:47 PM
2004-05-26 1:34 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Phoenix,
Don't let one run like that get you down. We all have days like that, where it seems like we shouldn't have even bothered getting out of bed, much less training. But one thing I've found, is that a bad day like you had is many times followed by a GREAT workout, where you feel like you're the best runner (biker, swimmer) in town. So keep at it. Even last night, at your worst, you were a TON better than the couch potato who was eating chips and watching reruns of The Simpsons all evening!

2004-05-26 1:36 PM
in reply to: #27358

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
PhoenixRises - 2004-05-26 9:55 AM

When I started my training in March, I could run once around the lake (1.2 miles) in just under 11 minutes, now I average 4 miles, 10k being my longest, at about 9 1/2 minutes. Yesterday I set a new PB, but I missed my goal time. Don't dwell on the negatives, use them as positives: "I didn't make my goal last time, but TODAY I'm going to meet it!"
2004-05-26 1:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Midcoast, Maine
Hang in there Phoenix, I agree with the previous post even if your running 1 min walking 3, you are working at it and eventually it will come easier, I used to power walk for 30 min and run for a couple mins. But as far as your saftey goes, if you don't feel secure it will be hard to concentrate on anything. I would suggest you train where other people are training or at least where there are other people like a park or school track.
2004-05-26 1:43 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Everyone has days like this. Tomorrow will be better!

About the creepy guys -- is there a neighborhood dog you can borrow to go with you? I'm sure there are some lazy or old people with dogs that would love to pawn it off on you for a walk/run. A dog might be the deterrent you need to keep the guys at bay. I’m thinking of establishing a dog exchange in my neighborhood. I’ll let the short-distance, slow walkers take out my old arthritic dog and I’ll take their high-energy dogs. A win-win for all involved. Also, remember that you can cut through peoples’ yards on foot to get away if need be.

Just remember your username! Like a phoenix, you’ll rise from today’s ashes and be glorious tomorrow!
2004-05-26 2:37 PM

Veteran
Ashburn, VA
Just remember how many people couldn't get motivated to TRY. You are a giant leap in front of most, even during a "bad" workout.
2004-05-26 8:57 PM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho
Hope the tri goes better.

2004-05-26 9:39 PM

User image

Regular
South Carolina
Thank you everyone. I will do my best to be patient and keep plugging away at it! I just can't believe that I will be like some of you guys one day, running and biking miles and miles, and swimming yards and yards....but I know I need to do this, if not for myself, for my grandmother and my team.
2004-05-26 9:47 PM
in reply to: #27539

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest
You did it. That is ALL that counts. It doesn't matter how fast you went, or how far you travelled. What matters is you did it. Tomorrow you'll do it again and you'll be a little faster or go a little further. That is seriously, all that matters!
2004-05-27 8:46 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
Everyone has bad days/runs/workouts once in a while
even the Kenyans
even Lance
even moi (blush)
Don't let the bastards get you down.
Look at it this way....you have now been at it long enough
to know the difference between a good run and a bad one
(cold comfort I know, but you have to acknowledge progress no matter how much it sucks)
2004-05-27 10:05 AM

Chelsea, MI
I know exaclty how you feel! When I started running 3 years ago I could hardly make it up and down my 1/2 mile street in 15 minutes, but I kept with it, 3 x a week until I could do it comfortably, then I added another 1/2 mile the next week, and so on, until I could run 3 miles consecutively (after about 3 months of training). From that point I started working on speed, and today I have a 7 mile run that I hope to get in about an hour!

I also completely understand the creepy guy issue. I spent some time in South America, where guys are overtly creepy with whistles, stares, and comments, and even on days where the running itself felt great, I would sometimes quit half way through and go home crying becuase I just didn't feel safe running on the streets with men like that around. I agree with previous suggestions of finding a park where other people run, or brining a dog/friend with you (tip: male friends usually deter creepy males better than female friends). Good luck, I hope this helps!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kinda bummed because of bad run last night Rss Feed