Canada
14C / 57F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 16m
Overall Rank = 307/413
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 20/29
Pre-race routine:

Woke up a few times during the wee am to pee because of my hydrating efforts and butterflies. Woke up a t 5:00am (4:00am yesterday!). Did not pack night before so was a bit scrambly but not too bad. Made a cup of Joe and PB and jam sandwhich and off I went to pick up Karen. Drove to the ferry, parked and walked on. Had my sandwhich on the ferry along with 1L of water. Met up with famous Mae Palm and two friends that all three won tickets on Wed on local radio stn. Too funny. Bus ride and package pick up went smooth.
Event warmup:

Made a few stops to the loo and jogged around the parking lot. Should have checked my jacket but it didn't really bother me.
Run
  • 2h 16m
  • 21.1 kms
  • 06m 27s  min/km
Comments:

First 2 miles I took it easy doing 10 min miles. Picked up the pace for the 2 to 8 mile segment and passed quite a few people quite solidly. The hill at 8 mile was sustained and slowed me down a but but I didn't walk and then passed people going downhill on the other side. I tried to take advantage of the downhills to make up some time. Around mile 10 legs started to feel like lead. Got passed a bit. Then there was the hill at mile 11. Walked it but so did everybody else. Tried to pick up the pace for the last mile and had enough for a sprint at the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Lose the jacket. Hydration was bang on. Make sure I do some runs that are at least race distance but that couldn't be helped. Could see myself breaking 2 hrs if I get more training in. Definitely was able to keep a good pace in the midsection but got very tired in the last 3 miles. Breathing was not holding me back - just lactic acid buildup.
Post race
Warm down:

Have a real good blister on my second toe but it shoud get reabsorbed and not burst. Stretched and walked ALOT. Feel pretty good now but worried about DOMS. Will try to get a walk/jog in tomorrow to stay loose.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough running over 1 1/2 hours. More hill work.

Event comments:

Do not shower at the school next time - yuck. Go to the rec centre. Gorgeous course and lots to look at. Very laid back yet well-organized. Would pass on the brunch. I will make an effort to get hubby to book time off next year and go explore. Really neat towns.

Last updated: 2005-12-29 12:00 AM
Running
02:16:00 | 21.1 kms | 06m 27s  min/km
Age Group: 0/29
Overall: 0/413
Performance: Good
Pace varied from 9 minute miles and some 13 min miles near the end.
Course: Course starts off with about 5 km of gradual downhill. Lots of undulating hills but very pleasant. Bit of a hil at mile 8 was unexpected and slowed me down a bit. The last hill at 11 mile is quite steep when you are hurting the most. Flat for the finish with a little downhill into the chutes to encourage a sprint to the finish. 3 aid stations and had a walking cup of water at each one - great investment!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-04-02 7:48 PM

User image

Regular
Squamish,BC
Subject: Sunshine Coast April Fool's Run

2006-04-02 7:57 PM
in reply to: #386158

User image

Subject: RE: Sunshine Coast April Fool's Run
Woo! You did it! And a great pace, too.. even with that last hill near the end. Congrats on doing your first half marathon - now enjoy your rest!
2006-04-04 10:12 AM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Subject: RE: Sunshine Coast April Fool's Run
Nice run Van.
Glad you did it so well!
You could easily break the 2hours!
It was hot, I ran in shorts and tee that day!
Good for you!
YEAH!!!!
2006-04-05 10:31 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-04-07 4:57 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}